Thread: trouble with shift point tuning

Default trouble with shift point tuning

Basically it always shifts at a much lower speed then i command. the converter lock/unlock stuff is always exactly 5mph later then in the tune. the shift points are always sooner then in the tune, but by a varying amount. once i pass a certain speed on the tables it seems like i hit a wall and my tuning makes no difference. it also shifts at 3100 at wot when i have 3600 in the tune with the correct speed to match.

i have my wheel size/gear ratio set in both the engine and trans tune. some things that seem odd to me are 1, the stock tuning indicates 4.10 gears, i checked 3 times and i definitely have 3.73s, and 2 the wot shift speed in the stock tune don't line up with rpm at all. 1-2 says 17mph, even with 245s and 4.10s my gear calculator shows first gear would shift around 2600 at wot if 17mph was the actual shift speed. i tried making the shift speeds line up with the rpm but it didn't change anything.

everything is just acting really screwy whenever i try to do any trany tuning, i always give up it becomes very frustrating. the tune i started with was something i got from the dieselplace library that allows the odlo switch.

also while i have a thread i may as well ask, does a partial flash, a full flash, or both reset the taps on its own? or is it only done on the scantool when you want to?

i just did a full flash and completely changed my shift tables, and it did absolutely f------ NOTHING!!!! this is starting to realy piss me off. i tried the second gear start thing too, all it does is bang between 1st and second constantly....
    Last edited by joecar; March 23rd, 2009 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Word filtering

Quote Originally Posted by hot-dog View Post
    i just did a full flash and completely changed my shift tables, and it did absolutely f------ NOTHING!!!! this is starting to realy piss me off. i tried the second gear start thing too, all it does is bang between 1st and second constantly....
    guess there's no word filter on this site............. On the second gear start problem it sounds like you haven't zeroed out all the part and wot tables for both 1-2 upshift and 2-1 downshift; also the full throttle rpm needs to be low, like 200 rpm for the 1-2 shift. As far as the shifting, mine shifts later than requested always, part and wot. Lockup later also, like yours. Every one I've seen has 4.10 gears in the trans tune and the truck has 3.73's. I haven't changed that lately, but tried several times a while ago and never noticed a difference.

Jody
    Last edited by joecar; March 23rd, 2009 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Word filtering
    07.5 4X CC 2500HD, EFI Live, MBRP exhaust
    new updated website!

Quote Originally Posted by hot-dog View Post
    Basically it always shifts at a much lower speed then i command. the converter lock/unlock stuff is always exactly 5mph later then in the tune. the shift points are always sooner then in the tune, but by a varying amount. once i pass a certain speed on the tables it seems like i hit a wall and my tuning makes no difference. it also shifts at 3100 at wot when i have 3600 in the tune with the correct speed to match.

i have my wheel size/gear ratio set in both the engine and trans tune. some things that seem odd to me are 1, the stock tuning indicates 4.10 gears, i checked 3 times and i definitely have 3.73s, and 2 the wot shift speed in the stock tune don't line up with rpm at all. 1-2 says 17mph, even with 245s and 4.10s my gear calculator shows first gear would shift around 2600 at wot if 17mph was the actual shift speed. i tried making the shift speeds line up with the rpm but it didn't change anything.

everything is just acting really screwy whenever i try to do any trany tuning, i always give up it becomes very frustrating. the tune i started with was something i got from the dieselplace library that allows the odlo switch.

also while i have a thread i may as well ask, does a partial flash, a full flash, or both reset the taps on its own? or is it only done on the scantool when you want to?
    Post your tune up..so we can look at it....
    Would help a lot to try and solve your problems.

Cheers
    Kyle

heres the tune, i would post a log but for some reason all my logs lately have been screwing up and showing readings like 9k rpm and 160mph and jumping all over the place...
    Attached Files Attached Files