Thread: E38 tuning

Default E38 tuning

i need some help tuning a E38 ecm in a 08 chevy pickup i dont normaly mess with gas engine's so this is kinda new to me can anybody give me some tips

Depends on many things.
    Does the customer want better power?, better MPG?, do they want to run low grade gas all the time.
    As a Diesel tuner you might not have a Wide Band O2 sensor in your shop, in which case you probably should not be messing around with the wide open fuelling mixtures, if you get that wrong on a gas motor you will damage parts.

I asked about the fuel grade they will use, because there is no point adding timing (if it needs it) to the tune if they want to run 87 Octane fuel, you will go backwards.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

1. Search button....
    2. Read the tutorials that come with the software.
    3. List any mods on the car and what the planned result of the tune should be ( all out power, nice daily driver, best fuel economy, etc. )
    4. Post the tune and hope someone can help out.

Providing you have access to a wide-band sensor, it's not too hard to start playing. Just stick with timing and fueling to begin with.

Simon

Ross beat me......
    Last edited by swingtan; March 29th, 2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Because I'm too slow at typing

What motor does it have 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2????
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

the truck has a 5.3 in it as well as a k&n intake , jet throttlebody spacer, and jet mass air sensor which i called jet about and they said that i dont need to do any calibrating for it. he was running a super chip in it and i've looked at the tune off of it which is mainly 5* of timing in the high octane table but the only thing i've done so far is lower the PE throttle % so that it comes on sooner. He is wanting max hp that he can get and he runs 93 all the time in it and i've allready told him that he needs to get a wideband o2 for it and he said to order him one so i'm going to do that as soon as i get a free min. i will post the stock tune and the tune thats on it now for yall to look at any and all information is much appreciated and i did try searching but all i'm comin up with is stuff for the vettes and such havnt seen anything on the trucks i mean i know its the same ecm but figured they might tune differently
    Attached Files Attached Files

ordered the wideband o2 today so i guess ill start studyin up on how to hook that up to the laptop

i see a few people have looked at the tunes can anybody give me some pointers as to where to start?

Gameover i see you have a similar truck

(Ross puts on politically correct hat). After market MAF sensors can cause problems when you are trying to tune. (Hat off).

With the trucks the common complaint is they are slow to get in to PE mode, running at 14.6:1 AFR at WOT isn't ideal. Sometimes adding timing isn't always the answer, you would need to log the knock retard as it is, also even with the stock GM maps. It's not uncommon to remove timing on some vehicles to make more power.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.