Thread: E38 & Codes

Default E38 & Codes

Do the newer ECMs require some kind of communication to read and CLEAR codes? My old LS6 is using a 1998 ECM and I can remove the battery and clear the codes. Has that changed?

Elmer
    2014 Corvette Convertible, Torch Red, A6, Z51, 3LT, NPP Exhaust

:cough: ??

Lifetime Member

I know for my P10 I have to clear the codes via FlashScan (or other scan tools). Pretty sure my new E67/T42 is the same way and Id assume the E38 is that way too.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

This is for a 2008 E38, nothing about the battery disconnect, but I would rather not disconnect the battery if possible.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC - Type A or Type B
    • The control module turns OFF the MIL after 4 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC - Type C
    • A current DTC Last Test Failed clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other non-emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the DTC with a scan tool.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC - Type D
    Clear the DTC with a scan tool.
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Ok, I have a SES light. A squirrel eats my battery. My car is sans battery for 8 hours while I walk to the supermarket and buy a battery.

I install the battery and the car starts.

The condition that set the SES light is NOT still there.

Did I lose the history AND the SES light?

I'm asking this because some guys don't have a way to read OR clear a SES light. They "think" they have solved the problem and want a way to check. If the removal of the battery will start over and remove the SES light then, they are all set. If what they did WASN'T the cure, then the light will come back on. I know on my '98 ECM that I can clear the codes with a power removal. Is that STILL possible?

That's what I'm asking here. I know the history is important to read but this is for people who can't read squat!

Elmer

OK, I would have to try and see if the battery disconnect theory works on the newer vehicle ecms. Hypothetically, if "these guys" that do not have access to a scan tool to see what code the vehicle has set, much less see if the DTC has ran and passed, why are they even fiddling with such an advanced (E38, E67, etc.) piece of hardware? Did they just forget to plug a sensor in and notice after the SES illuminated, then need to know if it is OK?
    Al

PS. Not trying to be too sarcastic.
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

A guy puts a CAI on to his car. He leaves a gap and has a vacuum leak. He tosses a light. He goes back and fiddles with the fit and gets it all sealed. He wants the light off immediately so....

He's not tuning, or anything that is messing with the ECM. If the "FIX" turns the light out immediately, then this is a waste of time. But, if the system needs to have 3 readings of no failure before it turns off the light, then is the battery disconnect a way to do this?

Elmer