Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMM timing limiter and pilot issue

Default LMM timing limiter and pilot issue

I've got the MPI twins on my LMM. Fantastic kit. I got the tuning from Rob and he's been great, but there's an issue that neither of us have solved yet.

We turn the pilots off in the tune above 70% tp or so and 2500 rpm up. But you datalog and the pilot is not off, sitting at about 240 US and 3.5 mm3. So you go into fuel pressure, and set the max number of pulses from 13 volts and 2500 rpm up to 1 (only allows the main pulse). Great, pilot is now off, but it now activates a timing limiter. On my truck it stops at 22 degrees max, no matter what is commanded, max allowed, etc. One interesting thing is that from a roll on in second gear I will shut the pilot off and get my desired 26-27 degrees, but once it upshifts and loads the motor it sets on 22 degrees and will not move regardless of rpm.

So it seems I can either have the pilot on and timing, or shut it off and lose timing. Thing is I want the timing and the pilot off, makes a big difference. I am guessing that there's a timing limiting table that references boost, and we do not yet have access to adjust it. We have the max desired boost set to 400 kpa, the most EFI Live allows. The truck is making 50-55 psi of boost on a run.

Any thoughts, Ross, or anyone?

Jody
    Last edited by camcojb; April 3rd, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
    07.5 4X CC 2500HD, EFI Live, MBRP exhaust
    new updated website!

Lifetime Member

A buddy over next to me had the exact same issue. however he had his resolved with a new tune from Rob. The thing about LMM's is that there are so many timing tables that its just ridiculous, and it makes it hard to find a timing issue. OSUBeaver is his name on dieselplace. I don't think he ever posted anything about it though, just a few PM to me... PM him about it...
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

Does seem rather odd.
    But if you enter in 0mm3 for B9101 in the area's you want the pilot off, does it still command something other than 0mm3 for the pilot?
    Maybe restore B1021 back to stock and set the B9101 table as I suggested above and see what happens?

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by bballer182 View Post
    The thing about LMM's is that there are so many timing tables that its just ridiculous
    It is totally over the top, imagine being the poor guys at GM having to tune every one of those tables to ensure emissions etc are met. No wonder there is not too many updates to these ECM's.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Does seem rather odd.
    But if you enter in 0mm3 for B9101 in the area's you want the pilot off, does it still command something other than 0mm3 for the pilot?
    Maybe restore B1021 back to stock and set the B9101 table as I suggested above and see what happens?

Cheers,
    Ross
    yes, with B9101 zeroed from 2500 rpms up and 70mm3 (or whatever you choose as we've moved it around) it still commands a pilot UNLESS you put "1"'s in the B1021 table for those areas. But then you lose your timing. Put B1021 back to stock and it always shows a pilot, in my case 3.5 mm3 and 240 US.

Jody
    new updated website!

A buddy over next to me had the exact same issue. however he had his resolved with a new tune from Rob. The thing about LMM's is that there are so many timing tables that its just ridiculous, and it makes it hard to find a timing issue. OSUBeaver is his name on dieselplace. I don't think he ever posted anything about it though, just a few PM to me... PM him about it...
    yeah, Rob is as confused as I, we've tried everything, even a new OS full flash. Still does it.

Jody
    new updated website!

well, apparently his is not resolved either. If the pulse shuts off he can't get more than 15 degrees of timing; that's worse than me, but still the exact same issue. With the pilot on he can get his timing where it should be.

Ross, that makes at least two of us with the exact same issue. Find that boost vs timing limiter table..............

Jody
    new updated website!

Yep....something is wrong I would say, but I'm no tuner.

I'm the guy that lives by Bballer btw.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBeaver View Post
    Yep....something is wrong I would say, but I'm no tuner.

I'm the guy that lives by Bballer btw.
    it's a table we can't see yet. Hopefully it will be discovered in the future. Frickin' LMM's...........................
    new updated website!

This one is kicking my rear.

Works perfect on the LBZ. I can command pilot off and get the timing I desire.

At first I didn't believe it was boost related, now I'm not so sure. This is a major limiter for the LMM.
    2013 LML, 550hp with factory emissions, stock cp4 and compound turbos.
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder
    1965 El Camino, duramax 9.6 @ 149MPH

All EFI tuned by Adrenaline Truck Performance

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast