Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: How about EFilive on the Iphone????

  1. #51
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,793

    Default

    Sheesh for that you're going to need a lot more than a firewall, disconnecting from the network/internet seems about the only way to get around it. Didnt even know that tech was out there, should have known better.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, starting the mods
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

  2. #52
    Lifetime Member Chevy366's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,603

    Default Dyno App

    Someone just released a Dyno App for the Droid 2.0 OS .
    Got it and am going to play with it today .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

  3. #53
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Well..... Maybe an iPad... I am waiting on the HP Slate to buy it so I can tune with it. Much easier to handle than a laptop perse.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

  4. #54
    Lifetime Member bobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    I can't imagine what would possibly be worth doing on such a small platform? Often times these sorts of devices have very particular constraints on what can and more importantly cannot be done outside of the device (through their API). So it would be unlikely that the device could interface with a FlashScan for instance.

    Now I'm not at all familiar with the Andriod platform, so given it is Google it might be entirely different
    From a business prospective, mobile is a pretty handy way to do things on the fly. I always have my phone available. A laptop, not so much. If I could run EFI Tune tool on my phone, I could create tunes and send them out without using a laptop. That would be pretty nice to do while on the go. My phone is already on, on the Internet, and at my finger tips 24/7. Sure beats starting, charging, and finding an Internet connection for a laptop to do 15 minutes of work. I already have a lot of tune files saved to my phone. I can't view or edit them, but I can attach them to an email if I wanted to send them to somebody. Someday I'll be able to log into an ECM from my phone and tune it live. I can dream can't I?
    2005 Twin Turbo Dmax/Allison Ext. Cab Short Box 4X4
    Best 1/4 11.8 @ 118+ on #2 only

    Twisted Diesel Tuning-The leader in Duramax Tuning Services and soon to offer Common Rail Cummins Tuning!

    Bobotune at rocketmail dot com

  5. #55
    Lifetime Member Chevy366's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobo View Post
    From a business prospective, mobile is a pretty handy way to do things on the fly. I always have my phone available. A laptop, not so much. If I could run EFI Tune tool on my phone, I could create tunes and send them out without using a laptop. That would be pretty nice to do while on the go. My phone is already on, on the Internet, and at my finger tips 24/7. Sure beats starting, charging, and finding an Internet connection for a laptop to do 15 minutes of work. I already have a lot of tune files saved to my phone. I can't view or edit them, but I can attach them to an email if I wanted to send them to somebody. Someday I'll be able to log into an ECM from my phone and tune it live. I can dream can't I?
    +1
    I use my phone 95% of time , has become a indispensable tool .
    Android has or will overtake iPhone , the iPhone is so Pass'e , unless it makes it to VZW or the iPhone 5 does something spectacular I don't see them regaining ground anytime soon .
    This is the coming future : http://phandroid.com/2011/01/05/moto...one-to-laptop/ : http://phandroid.com/2011/01/06/moto...through-video/ : best video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0x8_4qzCU
    Android , Resistance is futile !
    Last edited by Chevy366; January 6th, 2011 at 06:34 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

  6. #56
    EFILive Crew Site Admin Tordne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,870

    Default

    If these sorts of devices were to be developed at a later time I would envisage that it would provide only scan and diag functionality. Basically a more graphical and enriched experiance than is provided on the FlashScan V2 standalone today. I can't see the Tune Tool functionality ever being ported to a device like these.

    On the device debate... I'll start by saying that I personally have and use an iPhone, but that it is the ONLY Apple product I have ever owned and that I am by no stretch of the imagination an Apple "fan boy".

    I have recently been an Android owner as well (I bought 2 Samsung Galaxy S phones). I owned them for less than a month before selling them and getting 2 iPhone 4's (had annoyingly already sold our iPhone 3GS'). Anyway I was highly annoyed by the Android experience, not fore reasons of Android necessarily. The Android platform I think has to resolve these issues before it will become a compelling platform:
    - Android 2.2 was released back in May 2010 and it was only starting to be made available to the Samsung Galaxy S platform (one of the first to offer an upgrade from 2. I believe). This was basically just in time for the 23 Android version to be released. Be each manufacturer taking a fork of Android at a point in time and then messing with the interface and applications on their specific device serves to slow down the whole release cycle to the customer. I think Android should prohibit device manufacturers modifying or augmenting functionality to any large degree so that the updates and functionality improvements are available to ALL customers promptly. This is essentially what is true from customers of the actual Google Nexus One, and probably the Google Nexus S also.

    - Every single mobile carrier that provided and Android device seems to have an entirely customised firmware. This is typically so that they can brand the startup screen and probably more importantly include APN details for the device to access the internet etc, as well and SMS and messaging details. In addition to the above this creates a massive overhead on the device manufacturer and also serves to slow down any release due to inordinate testing and validation. I actually bricked one of these expensive phones while trying to be clever and get to a 2.2 firmware before it was oficially available from my carrier. Fortunately it was able to be recovered

    - Lastly. I had a number of applications that I downloaded or purchased for the Android which were common with applications I used or bought for the iPhone. What I found is that the user experience and interface on the Android applications was quite variable vs. the Android standard apps. Things like the contacts list in VoIP softphones for instance appeared and functioned differently. By contrast what I'd considered to be the communist approach of Apples approval of all apps in the App Store actually serves to provide quality apps that for the most part look and feel consistent. Perhaps the included APIs are just better at this time.

    Anyway, overall I was personally pretty surprised how poor and disjointed the Android experience was right now. I have no doubt it will get better, but I really think it should be ahead of where it is already at version 2.3. Take for instance the much publicised issues with SMS messages going to incorrect contacts, that's seriously bad and the bug has been around for months
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew


  7. #57
    Lifetime Member Chevy366's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tordne View Post
    If these sorts of devices were to be developed at a later time I would envisage that it would provide only scan and diag functionality. Basically a more graphical and enriched experiance than is provided on the FlashScan V2 standalone today. I can't see the Tune Tool functionality ever being ported to a device like these.

    On the device debate... I'll start by saying that I personally have and use an iPhone, but that it is the ONLY Apple product I have ever owned and that I am by no stretch of the imagination an Apple "fan boy".

    I have recently been an Android owner as well (I bought 2 Samsung Galaxy S phones). I owned them for less than a month before selling them and getting 2 iPhone 4's (had annoyingly already sold our iPhone 3GS'). Anyway I was highly annoyed by the Android experience, not fore reasons of Android necessarily. The Android platform I think has to resolve these issues before it will become a compelling platform:
    - Android 2.2 was released back in May 2010 and it was only starting to be made available to the Samsung Galaxy S platform (one of the first to offer an upgrade from 2. I believe). This was basically just in time for the 23 Android version to be released. Be each manufacturer taking a fork of Android at a point in time and then messing with the interface and applications on their specific device serves to slow down the whole release cycle to the customer. I think Android should prohibit device manufacturers modifying or augmenting functionality to any large degree so that the updates and functionality improvements are available to ALL customers promptly. This is essentially what is true from customers of the actual Google Nexus One, and probably the Google Nexus S also.

    - Every single mobile carrier that provided and Android device seems to have an entirely customised firmware. This is typically so that they can brand the startup screen and probably more importantly include APN details for the device to access the internet etc, as well and SMS and messaging details. In addition to the above this creates a massive overhead on the device manufacturer and also serves to slow down any release due to inordinate testing and validation. I actually bricked one of these expensive phones while trying to be clever and get to a 2.2 firmware before it was oficially available from my carrier. Fortunately it was able to be recovered

    - Lastly. I had a number of applications that I downloaded or purchased for the Android which were common with applications I used or bought for the iPhone. What I found is that the user experience and interface on the Android applications was quite variable vs. the Android standard apps. Things like the contacts list in VoIP softphones for instance appeared and functioned differently. By contrast what I'd considered to be the communist approach of Apples approval of all apps in the App Store actually serves to provide quality apps that for the most part look and feel consistent. Perhaps the included APIs are just better at this time.

    Anyway, overall I was personally pretty surprised how poor and disjointed the Android experience was right now. I have no doubt it will get better, but I really think it should be ahead of where it is already at version 2.3. Take for instance the much publicised issues with SMS messages going to incorrect contacts, that's seriously bad and the bug has been around for months
    iPhone 4 years of development , Android 1 year and has overtaken iPhone in sales , SORRY but iPhone has problems as well , I can hack a iPhone 3,4 in 2 minutes and retrieve all data off phone .
    Can 't make calls unless you hold a certain way , or use a rubber band , screen breaks easily , display colors go rainbow , so do I go on ?
    Some of your points are valid but so are mine !
    Like it or not iPhone is old tech and broken tech as well .
    Oh forgot to mention iPhone 4 has a alarm clock issue that Apple can't figure out how to fix as well .
    Last edited by Chevy366; January 6th, 2011 at 06:59 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

  8. #58
    EFILive Crew Site Admin Tordne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    iPhone 4 years of development , Android 1 year and has overtaken iPhone in sales , SORRY but iPhone has problems as well , I can hack a iPhone 3,4 in 2 minutes and retrieve all data off phone .
    Can 't make calls unless you hold a certain way , or use a rubber band , screen breaks easily , display colors go rainbow , so do I go on ?
    Some of your points are valid but so are mine !
    Like it or not iPhone is old tech and broken tech as well .
    Oh forgot to mention iPhone 4 has a alarm clock issue that Apple can't figure out how to fix as well .
    I guess we all ultimately vote with our wallet. Hell knows I've voted enough the last couple of months

    I think what you might find (and HTC have already hinted to this) is that if Google solves the biggest problem of fragmentation of the platform among device manufacturers by restricting the development of interface overlays you might find that the device manufacturers move to another (or develop their own) OS. Amongst the main reasons people are using the Android platform is because it is free. Sometimes you get what you pay for

    Anyway, this is an EFILive on iPhone thread and I'll check out now...
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew


Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •