Thread: 2001 5.3L charging question for a newby

Default 2001 5.3L charging question for a newby

OK so I've got a 5.3L out of a 2001 pickup swapping into my 1985 CJ7 and my problem is this:

I completed this swap months ago but recently the voltage has only been reading 10-11 volts with the engine running...I took the alternator and battery in to get tested, both passed with flying colors. Well the battery is struggling to start the motor presumably because its not getting charged, but the OReilly and AutoZone people both said the alternator is fine. All I can figure out is that the little bracket sleeves that mounts the alternator to the bracket are rusted pretty badly. Could this be killing my ground? And if so where can I get these sleeves? I'd rather not buy a whole new alternator if I dont have to.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about

Its the only thing I can figure out that might be wrong. I tried jumping a ground wire off the case with no luck. Anyone ever run into a problem like this before?

hi eric here , helped a friend put a carburated 6.0 in a 81 firebird , your four pin conector on the top of the altenator , did you supply a positive 12 volt feed to it , you have to put a 500 ohm resistor in series with the feed to lower the voltage, connects to the 2nd to last pin on the right of the conector when looking at the altnator installed in the vehicle, just joined which explains the delay

You have to 'excite' the alternator field coil.

I had the same issue and I used the field control wire from the PCM.

It all depends on your harness and style of alternator you have, but most of the time you can get them to charge by powering the 'L' terminal.