Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: converter will not lock under wot

I know this thread is a little old, but I am having similar problems as the OP. Doing 4wd, WOT launches my converter will not lock until 4th gear, and seldomly 3rd. I'm looking into getting a lockup controller. Just wondering though, I know you can use the scan tool to activate the TCC solenoid, would it be ok to do this on a WOT run? Or would it still not lock?

Quote Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
    Nick,

mine seems to be locking now with increased min tcc duty cycle at 87.5 and 100% tp, went up to 40. Also increased maximum in the same area to 90%. Added some torque reduction and it now locks in 4th and 5th on a 1/4 mile run. It will not lock in 2nd or third though which would be worth 2-3 tenths it appears from rolling locked datalogs where it doesn't downshift and is locked before going wot, so it holds.

I just wish it could lock in 2nd and 3rd gear also for a boosted launch at the track, and I'm inclined to believe the looseness of my 1058 is probably an issue. Unless Ross can find a TCM control map to ignore slippage and lock anyway.

Jody
    Is there any real gain in lockup quality/strength by raising the max value for the TCC solenoid? Also wondering at which point it is safe to raise it to.....will 95% burn it out?

I'm skeptical on raising the minimum values for fear of dragging/wearing the TC clutch when it's not supposed to be locked up, or am I incorrect?

Thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
    I know this thread is a little old, but I am having similar problems as the OP. Doing 4wd, WOT launches my converter will not lock until 4th gear, and seldomly 3rd. I'm looking into getting a lockup controller. Just wondering though, I know you can use the scan tool to activate the TCC solenoid, would it be ok to do this on a WOT run? Or would it still not lock?
    Does yours work ok in T/H mode?

Quote Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post
    Is there any real gain in lockup quality/strength by raising the max value for the TCC solenoid? Also wondering at which point it is safe to raise it to.....will 95% burn it out?

I'm skeptical on raising the minimum values for fear of dragging/wearing the TC clutch when it's not supposed to be locked up, or am I incorrect?

Thanks !!
    6 speeds use a PPC solenoid rather than the PWM solenoids used in the 5 speeds. The PWM solenoids have a DC resistance of over 20 ohms, which limits the current to a safe value even at 100% duty cycle. The PPC solenoid only has a DC resistance of 5 ohms or so. It limits current by it's AC impedance at it's 1KHz operating frequency. If you increase the duty cycle too far you risk saturating the solenoid (which is just an iron core inductor from an electrical standpoint), at which point the impedance will drop sharply and current will rise equally sharply, as will power dissipation. So yes, there is a max safe value, although I don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPF View Post
    6 speeds use a PPC solenoid rather than the PWM solenoids used in the 5 speeds. The PWM solenoids have a DC resistance of over 20 ohms, which limits the current to a safe value even at 100% duty cycle. The PPC solenoid only has a DC resistance of 5 ohms or so. It limits current by it's AC impedance at it's 1KHz operating frequency. If you increase the duty cycle too far you risk saturating the solenoid (which is just an iron core inductor from an electrical standpoint), at which point the impedance will drop sharply and current will rise equally sharply, as will power dissipation. So yes, there is a max safe value, although I don't know what it is.
    01-05 5-speed PWM TCC solenoids have a DC resistance of ~10ohms
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Not according to the info I have. They use the same coil as the shift solenoids.

I've checked a few of the F sol for 5 speeds and they measure from 12-14 ohms for the ones I have. The 6 speed one I have measures 4.9 ohms.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Hmm, interesting. At any rate, you cant run a high duty cycle or DC into a PPC solenoid or it will go up in smoke. With a DC resistance of only 5 ohms, and assuming a supply voltage of 13.6V, dissipation would be 37 watts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPF View Post
    Not according to the info I have. They use the same coil as the shift solenoids.
    I have one sitting right here in front of me and it measures 10-11 ohms at room temperature according to my fluke multimeter..

a 5-speed tcc solenoid will burn up within 6-7 minutes of straight 100% duty cycle at 13.2v
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    I have one sitting right here in front of me and it measures 10-11 ohms at room temperature according to my fluke multimeter..

a 5-speed tcc solenoid will burn up within 6-7 minutes of straight 100% duty cycle at 13.2v
    I believe you. Which is why the max duty cycle is limited in software.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910