Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: converter will not lock under wot

Lifetime Member

I thought that everybody said the TCC solenoid would smoke if apply percentage was raised on the LBZ/LMM ? Oh well I guess it's just a solenoid replace when toast. Has anybody at EFI ever mentioned getting us a usable pid to log what the convertor is actualy doing like apply percentage? Also stock to mildly modified trucks are seeing the same issues at least on my LMM and a budies bone stock LMM. I always thought it was just the junk LMM TCM OS, I wonder if it would run on a LBZ TCM OS? But we can't full flash OS's on the six speed TCM yet even if we could who knows what would happen may not even run?
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

Quote Originally Posted by rcr1978 View Post
    I thought that everybody said the TCC solenoid would smoke if apply percentage was raised on the LBZ/LMM ? Oh well I guess it's just a solenoid replace when toast. Has anybody at EFI ever mentioned getting us a usable pid to log what the convertor is actualy doing like apply percentage? Also stock to mildly modified trucks are seeing the same issues at least on my LMM and a budies bone stock LMM. I always thought it was just the junk LMM TCM OS, I wonder if it would run on a LBZ TCM OS? But we can't full flash OS's on the six speed TCM yet even if we could who knows what would happen may not even run?
    LBZ tcm in a LMM will run and shift, but causes all kind of other crazy stuff.

The max duty cycle on 5 speeds is 97% so I do not see any reason for the 6 speeds to have problems there. Remember it is the Max setting and doesn't necesserly go there.
    2013 LML, 550hp with factory emissions, stock cp4 and compound turbos.
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder
    1965 El Camino, duramax 9.6 @ 149MPH

All EFI tuned by Adrenaline Truck Performance

Quote Originally Posted by vortecfcar View Post
    Jody,

Have you tried raising your minimum TCC apply?

Nick
    Nick,

I went into the TCC min apply/duty cycle table (which was factory set to zero) and increased it to 45% (and applied some smoothing to avoid knocking my teeth out on the steering wheel). I also went into the TCC max apply/duty cylce table (which was factory set to 65.62%) and increased these to 95%. The data logs only show max duty of 65.62% even after my changes. Max TCC Pressure apply solenoid commanded shows 152psi when max duty cycle is attained.

These changes helped TC Clutch lock up initially but as was posted earlier in this thread, it did not keep it from unlocking. Once it unlocks, it will not re-lock due to the clutch slippage rpms (my educated guess here but it looks to be the case in my data logs). From here the slippage continues, heats the trans fluid, and will eventually throw a P0741 DTC. Does this during normal street driving (up through all 6 gears) and also did the same thing on the dyno (locking out 4th gear). CoPilot does not seem to prevent TCC unlock (even in race mode/TH). Going to try a different CoPilot control box. Trans/converter will be coming out. Going to discuss symptoms/solutions with trans builder and converter manufacturer.

My converter has a mech diode (no stator). This may be adding to the excessive slippage rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by jpowel29 View Post
    Nick,

I went into the TCC min apply/duty cycle table (which was factory set to zero) and increased it to 45% (and applied some smoothing to avoid knocking my teeth out on the steering wheel). I also went into the TCC max apply/duty cylce table (which was factory set to 65.62%) and increased these to 95%. The data logs only show max duty of 65.62% even after my changes. Max TCC Pressure apply solenoid commanded shows 152psi when max duty cycle is attained.

These changes helped TC Clutch lock up initially but as was posted earlier in this thread, it did not keep it from unlocking. Once it unlocks, it will not re-lock due to the clutch slippage rpms (my educated guess here but it looks to be the case in my data logs). From here the slippage continues, heats the trans fluid, and will eventually throw a P0741 DTC. Does this during normal street driving (up through all 6 gears) and also did the same thing on the dyno (locking out 4th gear). CoPilot does not seem to prevent TCC unlock (even in race mode/TH). Going to try a different CoPilot control box. Trans/converter will be coming out. Going to discuss symptoms/solutions with trans builder and converter manufacturer.

My converter has a mech diode (no stator). This may be adding to the excessive slippage rpms.
    I'm guessing you have converter issues with this example.
    2013 LML, 550hp with factory emissions, stock cp4 and compound turbos.
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder
    1965 El Camino, duramax 9.6 @ 149MPH

All EFI tuned by Adrenaline Truck Performance

I will keep everyone posted. This has not been as much fun as I'd hoped but I'll get there eventually. Looks like my old converter will be going back in.
    2007 2wd RCLB LBZ w/6spd Alli
    Extra Air & Fuel
    Still tweaking

Nick,

mine seems to be locking now with increased min tcc duty cycle at 87.5 and 100% tp, went up to 40. Also increased maximum in the same area to 90%. Added some torque reduction and it now locks in 4th and 5th on a 1/4 mile run. It will not lock in 2nd or third though which would be worth 2-3 tenths it appears from rolling locked datalogs where it doesn't downshift and is locked before going wot, so it holds.

I just wish it could lock in 2nd and 3rd gear also for a boosted launch at the track, and I'm inclined to believe the looseness of my 1058 is probably an issue. Unless Ross can find a TCM control map to ignore slippage and lock anyway.

Jody
    07.5 4X CC 2500HD, EFI Live, MBRP exhaust
    new updated website!

Quote Originally Posted by vortecfcar View Post
    Damn John, I was really hoping for a miracle on that one. I anxious to hear what your trans man says about the converter.

Thanks for the update,

Nick
    Nick,

I have been a little timid on the initial adjustments. I am still tweaking on it (I plan on another test drive tonight). I have everything laid out in a big excel spreadsheet to help me keep it all straight. I am now re-working a little on the TCC Apply & Release Speeds to better navigate away from where I THINK I am seeing the TCC dis-engage on the data logs. I'll let you know.

John
    2007 2wd RCLB LBZ w/6spd Alli
    Extra Air & Fuel
    Still tweaking

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpowel29 View Post
    Nick,

What pid did you use to log the duty cycle?
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

PID Caption - TCCDC
    PID Description - Torque Converter Clutch Duty Cycle

I also log
    TCCPCSCP - TCC Pressure Control Solenoid Commaned Pres
    TCCSLIP - Transmission Converter Clutch Slip Speed
    TP - Throttle Position
    TFT - Fluid Temp
    TIS/TOS - Trans input/output shaft speed
    GEAR