Thread: What do I need to buy

Default What do I need to buy

Hello there everyone, Merry christmas and Happy new year to you all.

Well I am totaly new to this site and have only just found out about this software/tool.

I have a few questions and hope someone can give me the right answers to them, here goes.

1: I am building a Cobra replica useing a Gen III engine and T56 gearbox (commodore) the engine is from a 2001 vehicle and engine number is stamped as such, I have a VX commodore ecu (approx 2001-2002) I have a factory wireing harness and dont want to fit a BCM so I need the VATS bypassed (I have been told this tool can do this ok) yes or no?

2: What do I need to purchase to do this at home? ie software, laptop, cables or anything else that may be needed?

3: How user friendly is this tool?

4: Can this tool be used to carry out a mafless tune?

5: How much will it all cost to setup for home use, I have access to a dyno if required.

Thanks for all and any help.
    Currently building a Cobra replica useing gen III engine and T56 gearbox

Lifetime Member

Default Re: What do I need to buy

Quote Originally Posted by boxhead
    Hello there everyone, Merry christmas and Happy new year to you all.

Well I am totaly new to this site and have only just found out about this software/tool.

I have a few questions and hope someone can give me the right answers to them, here goes.

1: I am building a Cobra replica useing a Gen III engine and T56 gearbox (commodore) the engine is from a 2001 vehicle and engine number is stamped as such, I have a VX commodore ecu (approx 2001-2002) I have a factory wireing harness and dont want to fit a BCM so I need the VATS bypassed (I have been told this tool can do this ok) yes or no?

2: What do I need to purchase to do this at home? ie software, laptop, cables or anything else that may be needed?

5: How much will it all cost to setup for home use, I have access to a dyno if required.

Thanks for all and any help.
    Yes it can turn off the anti theft as you require.

You need software and cable as well as a laptop

You can do a mafless tune IF you are experienced in tuning

Dyno will be required to tune any vehicle properly , best to start tuning the std tune and gain experience before diving straight in.

Default Re: What do I need to buy

VATS bypass is no problem.

Well, a laptop is best, however, if not possible, you could set up a desktop PC in your garage, but of course you would be limited to tuning in garage only. However, as Flashscan has black box logging you could do a quick blast around the block without a laptop and log all the data you need right inside the Flashscan adaptor.

If you can use Windows Explorer then navigating around will be no problem. There is also plenty of on-line forums to help you out with tuning.

Yes.

If you do not own any prior EFILive products then it will cost you just over $1K AUD for the scantool / tuning tool package.

Cheers,
    Ross

Thanks very much for the quick reply everyone.

I am probably looking into buying this tool then get it tuned initially by someone who knows what they are doing.

At a later date I will be modifying the engine and that is when it will be handy to have my own tool.

I have been quoted about $400.00 aud to get the vats disarmed useing flashscan, does that mean if I get that done then I can later adjust settings with my own tool or can it only be done useing the same tool that unlocked VATS?

I am probably looking into buying this tool then get it tuned initially by someone who knows what they are doing.

At a later date I will be modifying the engine and that is when it will be handy to have my own tool.

I have been quoted about $400.00 aud to get the vats disarmed useing flashscan, does that mean if I get that done then I can later adjust settings with my own tool or can it only be done useing the same tool that unlocked VATS?
    That seems a little pricey for just nuking the VATS. Maybe he's trying to get his licence paid off on the first few jobs. Many tuners here will do an entire dyno tune for US$500 or less. You shouldn't have a problem getting in with your own software unless he locks the PCM. Be sure you're clear that he won't do that before handing him your money or keys.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistermike

That seems a little pricey for just nuking the VATS. Maybe he's trying to get his licence paid off on the first few jobs. Many tuners here will do an entire dyno tune for US$500 or less. You shouldn't have a problem getting in with your own software unless he locks the PCM. Be sure you're clear that he won't do that before handing him your money or keys.
    $500 us is about $1000 AUS , we do mail order tunes with vats removal + what ever else is required for $400 AUS

At $400.00 aud does that include a mafless tune (if possable by mail order).
    Will I still be able to use the flashscan tool if I purchase my own?.

Quote Originally Posted by Delco
    $500 us is about $1000 AUS
    Don't I wish. I'd have a Starr blower kit so fast it would make your head spin.
    Today's rate 1.28:1 http://www.x-rates.com/d/AUD/table.html

Quote Originally Posted by Delco
    we do mail order tunes with vats removal + what ever else is required for $400 AUS
    Now THAT'S a reasonable price for a mail order full tune.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com