Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LBZ bench harness questions

Default LBZ bench harness questions

Finally getting round to building my harness and doing dsp5 on my spare ecm.

Just a little confused with the ECM pin out.

On the efi live tutorial, it states you have to use 2 pins on the large connector as well as 6 on the small connector BUT on diesel place it shows (thanks to biodiesel66)

C2 -- OBDII
    P1 -- P16 pos. Batt. Voltage
    P2 -- P 5 and P 4 GND
    P9 -- P 2 Serial Data Class 2
    P21 -- ignition switch on
    P44 -- P14 – GMLan High Speed Serial Data
    P57 -- P 6 + GMLan High Speed Serial Data

There is no mention of any connection of the large connection

Also planning on putting a plug onto the harness for TCM access if i decide to have that tuned as well as I understand you got to have an ECM plugged in. I assume I just couple up to the gmlan connections.

Just after confirmation so i can proceed.

will no-one put me out my misery???

It is probably not necessary to connect the +Batt (12V Unswitched) and +Ign (12V Switched) on the large connector. Some ECM's require a constant 12V feed for when you are changing a VIN etc, I don't think the Bosch ECM does.
    The Allison TCM will work by itself but you need to put a 120 Ohm load across the CAN bus (CAN Low ----120 Resistor --- CAN High), the ECM would normally provide the CAN bus loading.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It is probably not necessary to connect the +Batt (12V Unswitched) and +Ign (12V Switched) on the large connector. Some ECM's require a constant 12V feed for when you are changing a VIN etc, I don't think the Bosch ECM does.
    The Allison TCM will work by itself but you need to put a 120 Ohm load across the CAN bus (CAN Low ----120 Resistor --- CAN High), the ECM would normally provide the CAN bus loading.
    I thought it was the glow plug module that put the load on the CAN BUS? I know I read that if you remove the GPCM, you have to install a resistor across the bus to make it work.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

ECM works fine on the bench by itself so it must have a CAN load in it.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

ECM has CAN termination in it.

Not sure about GPCM.

TCM may or may not have CAN termination in it depending how its wired.

Remember, on 06-07 8.1 trucks, the TCM was the only module on GMLAN. I think if you loop the wires back to the other GMLAN terminals on the TCM, it creates the 120 ohm termination/resistance on the hi/low circuits.... or something like that. It (TCM) obviously works as standalone in 8.1 trucks, and as far as I know, there is no external 120ohm termination resistor used on 06-07 8.1 trucks.

Ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

MY EFI Connections A40/A50 Bench Harness has a CAN Termination pre wired
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

well It's been confirmed I only need the 58 pin Connector ( C2)

Was planning on buying the EFI connection harness, but by time I had purchased the harnesses and power supply, it's $300 + shipping over to uk which was hilariously high (for some reason) and then on top of that i would have to pay at least 10% import duty and then 20% value added tax on top. It's tooo much.

already have the allison connector (from the uk dealers, 5 mins away from me) so all i needed was the C2 and pins.

If i get my hands on a spare TCM, i will try the 120 ohm resistor and come back to you.

I also think I got a stroke of good look. Was looking at having to buy another licence for my V2 (second hand) but by the looks of it, The spare ecm I have (from seller of v2) has been linked to this V2 so I shouldn't need one to have a play.

Interesting...so you've done partial flashing, full flashing, VIN change, and locking with no C1 connector hooked up?

Also.... in your original post....you say Pin 1 on the C2 connector is "battery constant voltage"....on all the wiring diagrams I can find, Pin 1 is "ignition switched voltage"???
    Last edited by DURAtotheMAX; October 16th, 2014 at 04:16 AM.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    Interesting...so you've done partial flashing, full flashing, VIN change, and locking with no C1 connector hooked up?

Also.... in your original post....you say Pin 1 on the C2 connector is "battery constant voltage"....on all the wiring diagrams I can find, Pin 1 is "ignition switched voltage"???
    I spoke to mark at huskstorf diesel who asked the same question on dieselplace a few years ago and he said "When I do a bench flash of the ECM I only use one connector. It has worked great for many years. I am not sure what EFI is referring to. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast