Thread: E38 Crank Position Sensor Relearn

Default E38 Crank Position Sensor Relearn

I just installed a cam in a C6 Z06 Corvette and soon after a P0315 DTC appeared. I believe this indicates that a crank position sensor relearn needs to be done.

The Scan Tool documentation on this is pretty straight forward; however, the Scan tool has changed a bit since this was written. After looking through the various Bidirectional options I found the CASE button which appears to be the new way of initiating the relearn.

With the ECT at normal operating temp and the engine idling (foot off the pedal) I pushed the button and immediately rev'ed the engine smoothly to over 5000 rpm. I was expecting to get a 1/2 second cut out to indicate the relearn had happened but this did not seem to occur. Once it went a bit past 5000 I immediately let off accelerator.

Since relearn can only be done once per ignition-on session, I turned the ignition off, waited a few minutes and tried again with the same result.

Does an LS7 need to rev'ed higher than 5000 to complete relearn? Is there something else that might be preventing the ECM from going into relearn mode? What else am I missing?

From what I've read the E38 will not relearn on its own - it must be done via the relearn procedure. Is this correct?

There was no indication from the Scan tool that CASE had actually been initiated so I'm not sure whether it's not getting initiated or I'm not properly completing it.

The delete DTC function does not remove the P0315 code. List DTCs shows three P0315 codes in various states. There are no other codes.

Problem resolved ...

I noticed the machine I was using didn't have the latest 7.5 update installed. Once installed, the CASE gave me a 'no brake pedal error'. With the brake pedal, CASE set the relearn mode; the injectors cut out at 4000 and the relearn DTC was cleared.

You're at build 84 now, right...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    You're at build 84 now, right...?
    Yes