Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Linux Developers?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    It seems to have stopped development but Linux on a ....
    http://lng.sourceforge.net/lunix/lng_shot.html

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Ya, it's a " Turbo " button and an " Un-Turbo " button... equivalent ? ROFLMAO.....

Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra View Post
    you laugh at the turbo button, but the new cpus both over and underclock themselves as needed. isnt that a modern equivalent of the turbo button?
    Yes it is , funny how nothing new is really .

Don't take this wrong I like Macs , just thought ths was a nice project for some . http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin
    Last edited by Chevy366; June 16th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

I'm happy to test on Linux. I'm not a Linux programmer, i.e., not someone who's going to be able to help much writing drivers and such, but I am a programmer who uses Linux (and has been using it, for the most part as my main OS, since 1996). Absolutely thrilled you guys are so interested in porting to it. I know C, and have even written basic GUI programs on Linux with GTK, but that was years ago and simply "for the hell of it". In real life I'm a JavaScript + AJAX + Java nerd.

Oh, and since we're all going over the computer history...started with a TI99/4A at age 5 (was bought for older brother but he wouldn't touch it). Then a Trash 80, then an Apple II+, then a 4.77MHz 8086 white box clone...which finally got a 10MB hard drive...then a 386 (oh wow!). Thought Windows sucked in the 3.0/3.1 days, bought a Mac (which were WORSE back then (no protected mode memory, no preemptive multitasking). Bought a 120MHz PC w/ Win95, loved it for a month, then it came apart at the seams. Put Linux on it, and that's pretty much been the story ever since. Currently running Ubuntu on my main system. Use Macs a fair amount as well (i.e., as a laptop) but still prefer Linux to anything.

Planning on running EFILive (which should show up today/tomorrow/the next day, perhaps sooner if I keep looking out the window for the mailman) on my old MacBook. Hoping it'll run (and speak USB) inside a virtualbox VM, but will probably (at least initially) boot into Windows for tuning work.

I'd be perfectly happy with a Wine-based Linux port of EFILive with solid drivers. I'd love to get a little no-moving-parts Ubuntu netbook (i.e., with an SSD) and keep it in the truck. Windows, even XP, is slower than snail snot on these things.

Brother just picked up a netbook at Costco and the POS boots at 500MB of 1GB used. Probably eaten by its virus scanner, stack of crappy drivers (presumably with .NET-based control panels that load at boot) and various other prepacked programs. I don't understand how the average consumer has become so tolerant of garbage.

endo, welcome to the forum...

Another Linux user .
    Welcome endo .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Given that right now we don't have time to develop a Linux port of EFILive, I'd like to find out if there are any Linux software developers here that would be interested in developing "proof of concept" software.

The software would provide the same features as EFILive_Hapi. It wouldn't necessarily need to be a GUI app (but bonus points if it is), just a background daemon that implements the EFILive HAPI (Hardware Application Programming Interface).

It would need to use the Linux drivers for the FTDI chip available from www.ftdichip.com.

The EFILive HAPI spec will be available to third party developers, one it has been documented .

I don't know where it might end up, but there's no harm in exploring the option... Any takers?

Regards
    Paul
    Paul, have you by chance gotten around to documenting your HAPI API? Also, on the FTDI side, do you use the virtual com port or the direct driver?

Hey Paul,

I'm a software engineer and have done a good bit on Linux all the way from embedded Linux up thru some GUI. I'd be interested in getting involved if this comes to fruition.

Thanks
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPF View Post
    Paul, have you by chance gotten around to documenting your HAPI API? Also, on the FTDI side, do you use the virtual com port or the direct driver?
    You need to use the D2xx drivers as the interface to the EFILive hardware is via USB.

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer View Post
    You need to use the D2xx drivers as the interface to the EFILive hardware is via USB.
    Since you are a knowledgeable person have you tired to get EFILive running in a Distro yourself ?
    If so can you do a tutorial on it ?
    I mean with Emulation (WINE) .
    2006 Trailblazer

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast