Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Linux Developers?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    Is it worth the time spent on R&D for an OS that most people do not use?
    What about all the other issues that will need to be dealt
    with two different OS's running beta software?
    Besides Commadore support needs to come first.
    I've been using computers for the past 14 years. Wanted one for 3-4 years but family would not provide one. Kept promising me one, even got no Christmas presents one year and was SUPPOSED to get a computer, and never got jack shit (Family financial problems arose). Finally got fucking pissed waiting for others to do stuff for me and went and hustled Magic: The Gathering cards and made $1,300 cash and bought my first PC. (For those that know about Magic, profit from 10 cards paid for my computer: I had an Alpha Black Lotus, Unlimited Black Lotus, a MOX set, and a rare blue set [timetwister, the extra turn time card, and the draw extra cards card]. Bought the MOXES for about $40-50 each, and sold them for about $90-100 or traded for valuable cards.

First PC was a 133mhz Pentium, of course I still remember it and the ABIT motherboard that powered it.

I finally installed Linux early last year. Learned on a friends PC when I was about 9 or 10 on Windows 3.11. Then Windows 95 myself and with friends. Then Windows 98 on my first PC (woot woot!), then win 98 second edition, then win 2000, then windows XP and now Winblows Vista.

The reason I'm switching to Linux is I think Microsoft should have made a better product from the get go. Their company is for profit. They shouldn't make such garbage/shit, but they do, and they get away with it, and they get away with overcharging. So, I did not buy Vista (came preloaded on a laptop), and my desktop runs Linux. Even got my girlfriend familiar with Linux. Ubuntu is pretty easy to use, no Kernel compiling, etc.

If anybody has any Magic: The Gathering cards, I want the MOX set, a black lotus, and another rare blue set. =)

Lifetime Member

Disclaimer: If you dont want to know my background about PCs, then skip this post as it will be boring and a waste of your time. I just hope everyone doesnt skip it dohh!

Haha Stealth, I started back on a 33mhz 486 with no idea how little RAM or HD space, but it had a 5.25 floppy and I think my parents upgraded to a 3.5" floppy too!! Sound Blaster 16 sound card, ohh yea!! Then went to the first Pentium 100mhz with 1.01gb of HD space and Win 95, then got a Celeron 366mhz, had 64mb RAM and a 6gb HD, Win 98se. Last prebuilt/store bought desktop (laptops dont count) was a Celeron 700mhz, 30GB HD, 128mb RAM upgraded to 256mb by me, and my first CD burner. Right about then I got into computers, it had Win ME on it which we all know was a JOKE so when XP came out I upgraded to that. Started gaming so I needed something with an actual graphics card instead of the wimpy integrated Intel POS, built my first PC thats still running today (built 7-8yrs ago). My first AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512mb RAM, 100gb HD, DVD-rom and CD burner, GeForce 3 Ti200 128mb, XP home, Asus mobo. That was good for 2 years then built an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1GB Ram, 100+120+160 (then the 100 died after 5 years of constant service) HDs, ATI All in wonder 8500 128mb card, dvd burner, XP Pro, Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2 (if you know a lot about the Athlon XP processors, this is the best mobo out there for them, not was, is the best mobo. Its like 5yrs old and still the best out there, but alas we no longer use single core processors. And its about to be rebuilt with a slower graphics card for a linux Ubuntu box and maybe XP pro for kicks).

So thanks for reading those who sorta cared, ASUS mobos have been bulletproof in all the systems Ive put them in from AMD Socket As to Intel socket 478s to AMD socket 2s (think thats what the Athlon 64s are).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I have to agree on the ASUS mobo's.
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I'm showing my age here, but when I was a kid I had an Apple ][ and Apple //e. They got stolen and the insurance company would only cough up enough money to purchase a clone out of Hong Kong. But it had 2 banks of 64K and twin half-height floppies, not the big Hippo drives that Apple used. It also had an 80 column card which meant it could be used on a green screen monitor with 80 characters across the screen, instead of the 40 characters that you got when hooked up to a (very lo-res) TV.

Anyway Apple had just released Pro-Dos which had a file system kind of like FAT where you could have hierarchical directories (yeah - on 120K floppy disks).

But it would not run on clones - grrr!!! Apple still haven't changed in that respect.

So a mate and I got hacking (in 6502 assembler) and found three checks that Pro-Dos made against known locations in the ROM. We patched Pro-Dos and had ourselves a working copy of Pro-Dos running on an Apple clone. Then sold the apple clone and got an Amiga (way cool!), then UNIX boxes and now Windows. And yes, I've even got a couple of Linux boxes running virtual servers for various Windows test platforms.

And here I am 25 years later still hacking... The more things change the more they stay the same.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

Then why use linux??? you will not get to hack anymore!!! jajajaja
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Started out with a Tandy TRS80 , then skipped to Windows 98 several years later , got sick of BSOD and got Red Hat Linux , so ended the BSOD , then ran Corel (Xandors today) Linux , next Mandrake (Mandriva today), then SuSE , in between I bought ME , then XP (notice I said bought , not came with computer , when you home build you have to load it yourself) .
    First Windows computer was a E-Machines (lasted 6 months before it was modified) , then home built from there on .
    Use to upgrade MB , Processor , etc.... everything but maybe the hard drive every year (truthfully ever 6 months or sooner).
    Got into custom case designs , cut outs , lighting ( I did a Star Trek designed case that people around here still talk about to this day) , then water cooling , making my own coolers and water blocks (radiator with 120mm fan , aluminum box housing pump (reservoir) , then Plexiglas reservoirs , copper heat sink) , over clocking got to be a way of life (processor , memory , graphics card) , processors stink when they burn , memory freaks when pushed to far and graphics cards will show digital artifacts when memory or processor is pushed to far , Windows always needs to be reinstalled when you clock the processor to high , funny Linux would boot and run when Windows would not . Yes a GAMER AM I . Along the way did some servers and LANs which made gaming easier .
    If I went into detail about every system I have built it would take days to write and would consume several pages of space .
    My brief but boring history with computers .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Default A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

Has anyone read John Lions' Unix kernel commentary book...?

For me, there is a common link.....
    Vic 20, then to
    C64, then to
    Amiga 500, then to
    Amiga 1200, then to
    Wintel machines, various starting at 486/Win95 , never liked them, still don't, but have to use them out of necessity.
    I wish I had kept all my old Commodore machines, as for all the Wintel boxes I've ever had, they are not missed in the landfill they are buried in.
    Commodore was a classic case of a company who had fantastic engineers but dreadful management and that is why they went bust. Back in 1987 when I got my Amiga 500 I remember looking at my friends build up 386/486 etc, they would spend days getting all the cards working (pre Plug and Play), performance wise the Amiga still left them for dead at half the price because of the fantastic chipset Commodore stuck in them.
    I still can't figure out why PC's took over the world, they had the crappiest CPU's, dreadful architecture and shitty MS-DOS. PC fans could never figure out why a 33MHz 386 was slower than a 7 MHz 68K Amiga that happened to also have a 4096 colour pallete.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I
    Commodore was a classic case of a company who had fantastic engineers but dreadful management and that is why they went bust. Back in 1987 when I got my Amiga 500 I remember looking at my friends build up 386/486 etc, they would spend days getting all the cards working (pre Plug and Play), performance wise the Amiga still left them for dead at half the price because of the fantastic chipset Commodore stuck in them.
    I still can't figure out why PC's took over the world, they had the crappiest CPU's, dreadful architecture and shitty MS-DOS. PC fans could never figure out why a 33MHz 386 was slower than a 7 MHz 68K Amiga that happened to also have a 4096 colour pallete.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Wow , did some reading on the Amiga 500 (wikipedia) , to bad sounded like a great machine , I actually have seen a couple in a store in Arlington , Texas .

wikipedia article quote : Somewhat unusually for a budget machine, all chips are socketed rather than through-hole soldered so if the casing is opened up (voiding the warranty), they can be replaced by hand. The CPU can be upgraded to a 68010 directly or to a 68020, 68030 or 68040 via the side expansion slot. The Chip RAM can be upgraded to 1 MB directly on the motherboard, provided a Fat Agnus chip is also installed to support it. In fact, all the custom chips can be upgraded to the ECS chipset. 512 KB of “Slow RAM” or “Trapdoor RAM” can be added via the trapdoor expansion. Such upgrades usually also included a battery-backed clock. If further expansion is desired, up to 8 MB of “Fast RAM” can be added via the side expansion slot. Hard drive and other peripherals can also be added via the side expansion slot. So many options vying for one expansion slot can have made for difficult choices, but several companies provided combined CPU, memory and hard drive upgrades, or provided a pass-through expansion slot so multiple devices can be chained. Expansions are configured automatically by AutoConfig software, so multiple pieces of hardware did not conflict with each other. The Amiga is plug and play.
    No wonder you hate X86s .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Motorola never thought to give IBM free samples of the 68000 as Intel did with the 8088... IBM took the free samples from Intel and designed a microcomputer around the 8088.

IBM's design was overly complex since they only had experience designing large grossly complex systems like the System 360 (has anyone read Fred Brooks' "The Mythical Man Month"... it's a good read)... so they ended up with the abomination they called the Personal Computer...

Too bad IBM did not the have foresight to go with the 68000 (which had a true 32 bit architecture, unlike the 8/16 bit architecture of the 8088)... we're all paying for it now (and have been since day one).

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast