Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Any Linux Developers?

Right but the comp in my computer is linux. I can help with the dev of the usb stuff but that is something that I have been after for many years. It sucks not knowing trans temp

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    What info do you need to try and get it working on Linux?
    Regards
    Paul
    It should be the same info to make a Windows driver; We need to know how to talk to the hardware (hardware protocol). Then, once we can talk to the hardware, we need to know what to say to make it do it's thing. I realize the latter part is actually done from the userland app, but that info is needed for driver devel purposes in order to verify that it actually works

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    II'm not a Linux desktop user so you guys will have to educate me on this, but with the insane amount of Linux Distros if you get it working on one will it work on all the others?
    As a rule, there are two main distros that everyone supports: Fedora/Red Hat, and Ubuntu/Debian. Most other distros are built off of those. For the distros that don't meet their dependency requirements we can also make the source available for the user to compile themselves (which means they have to take care of all the dependencies).

The kernel module would likely be done as a dynamically built module, much like VirtualBox does. Here, the install script compiles a kernel module against the running kernel at install time, and installs kmod as a dependency. kmod ensures that if a future system update installs a new kernel version, a new module will be built against the new kernel at the first boot of the new kernel. If the module is stable (which requires the Flashscan V2 hardware protocol to be stable) and licensed under GPLv2 it may be possible to get it put into the mainline kernel tree. If that happens, then a module build would no longer be required for any distros that are based on a kernel version the same or newer than the version where the driver was introduced into the tree.

Are you thoroughly confused yet?

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel View Post
    Right but the comp in my computer is linux. I can help with the dev of the usb stuff but that is something that I have been after for many years. It sucks not knowing trans temp
    You need the send and receive signal converted to an output.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPF View Post
    It should be the same info to make a Windows driver; We need to know how to talk to the hardware (hardware protocol). Then, once we can talk to the hardware, we need to know what to say to make it do it's thing. I realize the latter part is actually done from the userland app, but that info is needed for driver devel purposes in order to verify that it actually works
    In Wine the Software install works all but the USB part due to the Serial USB driver that is needed by the controller FTDI chip, best I can tell. Linux has the FTDI support there just not sure why it can't assign the controller a module. You can see the manufacture code but when I tried to load a module manually it would not recognize the device. It has been a long while so I may be missing something here, so don't quote me.

As a rule, there are two main distros that everyone supports: Fedora/Red Hat, and Ubuntu/Debian. Most other distros are built off of those. For the distros that don't meet their dependency requirements we can also make the source available for the user to compile themselves (which means they have to take care of all the dependencies).

The kernel module would likely be done as a dynamically built module, much like VirtualBox does. Here, the install script compiles a kernel module against the running kernel at install time, and installs kmod as a dependency. kmod ensures that if a future system update installs a new kernel version, a new module will be built against the new kernel at the first boot of the new kernel. If the module is stable (which requires the Flashscan V2 hardware protocol to be stable) and licensed under GPLv2 it may be possible to get it put into the mainline kernel tree. If that happens, then a module build would no longer be required for any distros that are based on a kernel version the same or newer than the version where the driver was introduced into the tree.

Are you thoroughly confused yet?
    Right .deb and .rpm covers most Linux Distros. Out of the top 5 Distors, 3 are .deb and the other are .rpm, according to Distrowatch.com.

I like the idea of not having to run in Wine as MaxPF is alluding to.
    Man a Raspberry PI a few tweaks and a small EFILive device could be born, no, laptop of tablet needed. https://www.google.com/search?q=raspberry+pi&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited by Chevy366; February 18th, 2016 at 08:59 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    You need the send and receive signal converted to an output.
    I have the raw data but what do i multiply it by to get the correct value? Thats what I am after.

I am curious if you could tell me how I calculate the transmission temperature from the odbii port. I have a truck-puter that i wrote that plays all my music,nav and stuff and I can monitor everything I want except tranny temp of a 07.5 6.7l cummins (68rfe)
    I have the raw data but what do i multiply it by to get the correct value? Thats what I am after.
    Do you have the factory Service Manual, does it show a resistance or voltage to temperature chart...?

The GM SM's show the resistance to temperature charts, so by looking at the wiring diagram it is easy to come up with a voltage->temperature formula.

I am not familiar with Cummins/Dodge stuff at all.

Anyone try any more, my com crashed and just now got one back up and going.
    Got another lappy on the way, but it will have Winders 10 on it, YUCK! Well not for long.
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

If you can, go back to Win 7 or Win 8.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    If you can, go back to Win 7 or Win 8.
    I just installed openSUSE 42.1 and left the Winders 10 as it is, if EFILive were Linux friendly I would never use Winders again.
    Lenovo packs their laptops with lots of bloatware, and Winders 10, WTF, used it (W10) for a few days just so I can say I have used it, got a virus attack the last day before installing Linux, no more worries now.
    2006 Trailblazer

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011