Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: newbie question

Fuel is used as a cylinder coolant, as well as your propellant. Heat is what destroys an engine. To check the heat of your engine, do not rely on coolant temperatures, as it is waaaayyy too late. Rely instead on an aftermarket EGT sensor (exhaust gas temperature).

Too high of an EGT and you'll start breaking stuff. The pistons will get a hot spot. The hot spot will start igniting fuel instead of your spark plug. Your pistons will crack and/or melt a hole through them. You lose compression. You lose your engine. Or the motor will detonate so severely it'll wear the bearing surface down on the crank rod journal so much that the bearing will eventually spin in the bore and a spun bearing=no oiling. No oil to a bearing=a lot more friction than you'd like and your engine sends the rod out the side of the block if you keep driving it while it knocks.

I can say with utter certainty that this is what will happen if you tune wrong. I've been down that road and did the expensive learning curve thing already a few times.

Don't rely on a dyno to tune your vehicle. Air flows much different on the street. Use a dyno for a base tune, or for information. But always always always fine tune on the street under real driving conditions. Some dynos do not put enough load on the drivetrain, resulting in unfavorably lean (albiet powerful) street conditions. Fun for a few miles, not so much fun after that.

thank you all for yoru words of wisdom, from part experences and general knowledge base. its good that people are giving with information kudos to you all
    all i need now is some ink to print out a few reference documents

Lifetime Member

I looked at ur file, u need to reflect 60 lb injector, alter the idle speed, idle air flow….etc I prefer if you start with a new stock file from www.holdencrazy.com
    We can do a lot for u here, but we want u to do it ur self in order to learn. Ask and we all will help.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

yeah i dont like the idle speed it rocks too much. but i need to do a full flash. as its locked but i will wait till i get my tech edge WB02 first before i even think about it. Iv'e got the interpolation spreadsheet and also managed to find a 60lb injector script so that will come in handy as well. i will make a few changes to the injector and see what ya's think about it when i update it.

Lifetime Member

I see good steps here.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

yeah good small steps for me

is there anyone that can post me up a log of a car with ben map etc so i can see if i can adjust it might be my first small steps and prefer a manual

cheers for your help guys/girls

Lifetime Member

u have most of them ready for u within the software!!!!
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Hi Mate, what i mean is for someone to send me a half tune of one say you have finished on a ls1 give me a log of a run with ben factors etc being logged and i will make a change to see if i am adjusting the right key areas i find practical is easiest way to learn (dont have wb yet so cant do it on my car)

Lifetime Member

U can't do it this way. Believe me each car is different, based on condition.....etc. I suggest that u download a stock file from holdencrazy. Modify the injector, make it mafless then send it to me.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast