Thread: Questions about the E38 as a Stand Alone

Default Questions about the E38 as a Stand Alone

Hello everyone,

I have a question in regards to the E38 as a stand alone controller. I have a 08 Tahoe DOD 5.3L. I tried using the stock cal for dyno use, with all the VATS and such turned of in hopes of it working. Bottom lie is, it wouldn't run. So, I reflash with a Manual Z06 Vette cal that I have running with no issues in a sprint car, and poof, it works.

So, what I am thinking is for some silly reason it needs to see the trans controller in order to start. Am I way off here or not? If this is the case, is there a bit I can turn off in order to do this correctly?

I would like to use the stock truck controller due to the fact that I have a stock truck engine. I want to dig into this thing change by change, and using the Z06 box is a bandaid for the situation.

Any help is always appreciated.

Best bet in these situations is after you have tried to start it (and it fails) check the DTC's. The ECM will usually tell you what is wrong.

I think even on an Auto with the TCM missing they will still run.

I agree with you on sticking with the E38 as the controller, best check what DTC's are getting set and go from there.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The TCM will let the ECM know the vehicle is in park or neutral. A non-communicating TCM can cause a no start.
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

I had thought about that, but then not knowing if they are using the ECM controlled starter I didn't want to say anything. I have a feeling the calibration to enable the engine to start without the clutch pressed also works with the P/N switch.
    If they can get the DTC's and something about the P/N switch it there we can sort it out.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

SOrry, I should have been more clear. What is happening is I have a starter on the dyno, so it cranks, it has spark, but the injectors are not firing. Not a single click. I will work on it more on Monday.

On a seperate not, I do like the LIngenfelter converter box. It works flawlessly.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MSURacing View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a question in regards to the E38 as a stand alone controller. I have a 08 Tahoe DOD 5.3L. I tried using the stock cal for dyno use, with all the VATS and such turned of in hopes of it working. Bottom lie is, it wouldn't run. So, I reflash with a Manual Z06 Vette cal that I have running with no issues in a sprint car, and poof, it works.

So, what I am thinking is for some silly reason it needs to see the trans controller in order to start. Am I way off here or not? If this is the case, is there a bit I can turn off in order to do this correctly?

I would like to use the stock truck controller due to the fact that I have a stock truck engine. I want to dig into this thing change by change, and using the Z06 box is a bandaid for the situation.

Any help is always appreciated.
    My experience with 5.3 cals is that they dont work that well but have started ok whether auto or manual. Have seen some cals that wont start until the second key on attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by MSURacing View Post
    SOrry, I should have been more clear. What is happening is I have a starter on the dyno, so it cranks, it has spark, but the injectors are not firing. Not a single click. I will work on it more on Monday.

On a seperate not, I do like the LIngenfelter converter box. It works flawlessly.
    I have used several of there boxes, much nicer than swapping reluctor wheels out for sure. Did you ever get this sorted out? I ran into the exact same problem with a 6.2 escalade motor as a standalone.

no I haven't yet. How did you fix it? Thanks a bunch in advance