Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traction Control Tuning

Lifetime Member

Default Traction Control Tuning

Has anyone done any traction control tuning to aid in acceleration?

Like the racelogic system does??? Only that since you have an ETC you can tune the ETC or something similar to allow you a specified amount of wheel spin?

I don't expect it to be accurate in the way of adding x% of slip, but you could tune it to achieve the best acceleration possible...

Done it?/

Thanks
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

I have the TC system stillenabled on my E38 and it works somewhat like that. I get some spin in the dry without it activaying, biut if it's wet and she really lets go, it comes in gently, well much better than stock. Is that what you ar getting at?

Lifetime Member

I am trying to see if at all can be done. Because the BCM is what controls the active handling and part of the traction control. I would love to be able to "modulate" the throttle or control how much it modulates vs wheelspin or something similar. Not sure how it all works and if maximum torque plays a role in this.

Not the BCM... but the EBCM.

Lifetime Member

What did you do to tune it?

I tweaked the commanded torque settings to allow more than STD. when TC kicks in. It also ramps in slower. If I give it a bot full on a corner, the back will step out a bit and you can "right foot steer" the car a bit, but only if it doesn't end up in full on spin. Once it goes too far, the TC system kicks right in and drops the power, like chirping 2nd gear etc. Otherwise it just limits the power to just over the current traction level. I'll see if I can get the tables I played with. I'm at the AusCERT conference ATM so will fit it in when I can.

Simon

Simon did you come up with your bits a pieces yet... Have been looking at this myself....

Sorry, I was AusCERT last week in the Gold Coast (For you USA guys, think of driving from New York to Miami for an IT security conference, then have Miami get 12 months of rain in one day........)

So, back to the TC settings.

I altered B2517 "TCS Throttle Limiter by Input Speed" increasing the stock numbers for the RPM ranges in each gear. The method used was to slowly increase the settings till I got "minimal slip" on a dry pavement. So if I was say, doing a left of right turn on a dry road and went WOT, I'd get some over-steer, but no wild smoke show. Then if the road was wet and she really let go, TC kicked in hard and stopped it all.

I think I also altered B2501, B2502 and B2503, B2504. All were taken up a bit

The result is that if the TC switch is not touched at all, you can launch hard with minimal wheel spin and even get some slippage through peak torque with out the TCS system kicking in. But if you light up "big time", TCS kicks in and drops engine power. I'll see if I can get some logs tonight with TCS on and off.

Simon.

I know that feeling.. I did the Perth to Port Douglas trip via road last year for the M$ APC.. What a journey.. But something you need to do at least once in your life and I had that much fun I will probably do it more often...

Anyways thanks for your input Simon... I just need to appy this to 0411 now...Gives me a great filler on the weekend, 3 days of fun coming up... Just gotta find some back of nowhere for testing... The blue meanies are oh so quick to chuck your ride on the back of tilt tray these days....

The good part of testing this, is that you actually want to stop the spin. So I'd be looking for a more slippery surface than normal for the initial testing. Perhaps a good dirt road where some initial "slip" would be expected, or just a gravel car park / work lot would be fine.

1. Try the stock settings on the gravel / dirt and note how hard the TC kicks in.
    2. Dull the setting down progressively to gauge how they are impacting the torque delivery on the "less than favorable" ground.
    3. Once you get it close, then move to the a paved road, perhaps a concrete loading area or long driveway would be a great place to test if available. This will keep the boys in blue away.

Remember that the biggest impact of this tuning will be in 1st and maybe 2nd gear, so you can actually do full testing without breaking the speed limit. Taking off "hard" out on the open road when no other cars are around would be hard to justify as "hooning", you are just getting up to speed quickly.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast