Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E38 cant disable VATS

Lifetime Member
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Lifetime Member

Any further feedback on this "issue".

We use EFILive to do the VATS patch and no problem so far. Some OS's dont start the first "key on" cycle, and seem to require a "key off" then on again to start, but they then work.

Hey guys, I have been reading about this because I am working with a E38 on a 58X truck engine. I have tried to remove the VATS all sorts of ways to no avail. As I read this i'm kind of getting freeked out. Someone says install "THE PATCH", someone else says just follow the proceedures outlined in the VATS portion, someone else sais look in the "HELP" menue for the proceedure and patch.. OK I am slow on the uptake so please xplain it like a 6 year old could reprogram a E38. I have the P/N and Clutch items shut off in the DTC table, I have changed the VATS type to 3 and 2 and 3 and 2 and with that have changed the timer and relearn blah blah blah in the VATS table. I know that EFI LIVE is the best programming solution for anyone doing this stuff, I just need to find the work around.

What is "THE PATCH"
    How do I insatall "IT" if "IT" is something to install
    I have looked through the HELP manual and have not found what I need.
    I have set up my PIDS to look at coil status and injector status, as I crank the engine the coils go to ON and the injectors stay OFF, may be this isn't a vats issue?
    Just one guy tryin' to make a difference

hey there, I also read that someone used a corvette manual file in the e38 that was originally a truck. I have tried it and the OS is different and it won't program, is there a way to change the os in the ecm?

Lifetime Member

did u follow the one I posted it should work with you. you need to do a full reflash not normal flashing.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by v8vegaman View Post
    Hey guys, I have been reading about this because I am working with a E38 on a 58X truck engine. I have tried to remove the VATS all sorts of ways to no avail. As I read this i'm kind of getting freeked out. Someone says install "THE PATCH", someone else says just follow the proceedures outlined in the VATS portion, someone else sais look in the "HELP" menue for the proceedure and patch.. OK I am slow on the uptake so please xplain it like a 6 year old could reprogram a E38. I have the P/N and Clutch items shut off in the DTC table, I have changed the VATS type to 3 and 2 and 3 and 2 and with that have changed the timer and relearn blah blah blah in the VATS table. I know that EFI LIVE is the best programming solution for anyone doing this stuff, I just need to find the work around.

What is "THE PATCH"
    How do I insatall "IT" if "IT" is something to install
    I have looked through the HELP manual and have not found what I need.
    I have set up my PIDS to look at coil status and injector status, as I crank the engine the coils go to ON and the injectors stay OFF, may be this isn't a vats issue?
    Assuming you already have a calibration that you have "read" out of your ECM and saved and re-opened with your V2 cable plugged in (to PC), under the folder "Engine Operation" at the bottom of the list of folders there should be a folder "Operating System Patches".

The VATS patch option is in there. It needs to be set to enable, saved (recommend new file name) and then "Full Flashed". (also referred to here and there as "write entire".)

There are two flash options: 1/. "Program PCM with currently loaded calibration" and 2/. "Program PCM with currently loaded operating system and calibration".

2/. Is the "Full Flash" option.

If you want to change the OS in your ECM, this also requires option 2/. and OS/ECM compatibility (there are 4, maybe 5 now that Model Year 10 is here, different E38's).

Without knowing the service number on your ECM, and what vehicle (aircraft?) you are installing this engine in, hard to assist further.

Trust this helps a little.

Hey there thanks, I looked at the folder and the drop down does not have a patch folder in it. I also looked at all of the other folders and no patch stuff. Do I need to update my handset or something like that? Also I do not get the full reflash icon that I normally have with the LS1 ecms. It's late but I will stay all night if needed.

Thank you again for any help you could give

Lifetime Member

Hey there thanks, I looked at the folder and the drop down does not have a patch folder in it. I also looked at all of the other folders and no patch stuff. Do I need to update my handset or something like that? Also I do not get the full reflash icon that I normally have with the LS1 ecms. It's late but I will stay all night if needed.

Thank you again for any help you could give

Are you on the latest EFILive version? Or at least 7.5.something.

And is your cable and V2 plugged in?

If you plugged in your cable after you opened the tune tool, close the tune tool and open again with the cable plugged in so it can read the licensing info from the V2 box as the tune tool loads from the HDD.

well I was thinking about that. I looked at my updates and I have the updates coming in on the other PC with my hand held unit installed. It's down loading as we speak. I feel like an idiot. I will check a few more things out with the updated information. I will repost again if the issues continue. Thanks again

Robert

Lifetime Member

well I was thinking about that. I looked at my updates and I have the updates coming in on the other PC with my hand held unit installed. It's down loading as we speak. I feel like an idiot. I will check a few more things out with the updated information. I will repost again if the issues continue. Thanks again

Robert
    No problemo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast