Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto Tune with Custom OS and no MAF???

Quote Originally Posted by caver
    I blend it from 14.63 at 70kpa to 13.2 at 85kpa. Thats WOT for me at 5000ft.
    Here's me worrying when I see 96 - 97kPa on the scanner.

Bet the view is nice up there though

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

What view I have to drive at least 300km in any direction to lose altitude.
    Se level is 600km away. Its not called the highveld for nothing.
    \"You Can Never Have Enough Horsepower\"

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Bill,

Ben from EFI-101 gave me some interesting advice on AFR's one day, I don't want to steal he's thunder, but running leaner AFR's down low can have negative results, mind you, it can also make power on some engines, so whatever you find works for you is probably best.

I do run 12.48:1 commanded for the most part, however, because of table interpolation it's not like P.E with a fixed value, look at my table from 95 - 100kPa and that pretty much commands 12.48 at 98 - 100kPa where the engine runs at WOT. upto 90kPa it is 14.63 everywhere.
    I have run 28 - 29 degrees of timing on a dyno but it made no more power than 25, so I left it a 25. Though, with some cold nights here lately we bumped that back up to 28
    Also, because of fuel prices I have stopped using Premium (98 Oct) and have dropped back to 95 Octane.

BTW, I just noticed looking at a log I did tonight my BEN factor average from 4800 - 5500 is 1.0057

You might also be interested in this link -
    http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=808

Cheers,
    Ross
    I wished I could get 95 Oct. The highest we have around here is 93 Oct and lately 93 is hard to find. So far I have not had to use any gas less than 93.
    Thanks.
    Bill
    2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
    CAI, Inc. Cold Air Induction;ADM Scoop
    Rx Catch Can;Rx Breather;Roto-Fab Washer Container
    VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
    XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
    Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
    Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
    Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune

Keep in mind that the pump octane ratings in the US are an average of research and motor octanes. As a result one brand of 93 may not be as knock resistant as another. We've done quite a bit of dyno testing and found that engines are much less likely to knock with Chevron 93 premium. On several occasions, knock was completely eliminated by nothing more than switching to Chevron. If you haven't yet, try a tankful.

Bill,
    Ben from EFI-101 gave me some interesting advice on AFR's one day....
    First of all, you gotta watch whatever that guy tells ya! LoL :wink:

Have you ever tested my theories? I have recently found some interesting reports from the NACA group to fully support my findings...the best part? The reports were done in 1922! Ha Ha

I have run 28 - 29 degrees of timing on a dyno but it made no more power than 25, so I left it a 25. Though, with some cold nights here lately we bumped that back up to 28
    Cheers,
    Ross
    Just out of curiosity, did you test that on the dyno and come up with that idea? Its just that theoretically, the colder air would be more dense and therefore require LESS timing.......
    Just a thought.

-Ben
    EFI UNIVERSITY
    "Setting the Standard"
    www.efi101.com

Quote Originally Posted by EFIGUY
    Bill,
    Ben from EFI-101 gave me some interesting advice on AFR's one day....
    First of all, you gotta watch whatever that guy tells ya! LoL :wink:

Have you ever tested my theories? I have recently found some interesting reports from the NACA group to fully support my findings...the best part? The reports were done in 1922! Ha Ha

Cheers,
    Ross
    Just out of curiosity, did you test that on the dyno and come up with that idea? Its just that theoretically, the colder air would be more dense and therefore require LESS timing.......
    Just a thought.

-Ben
    Ben,

For majority of my day I sit in a nice quiet room (as yet, not padded) tapping away at a keyboard looking at code that makes an LS1 tick....so I am no authority on what works and what does not work in the tuning world, that is why when I talk to people that tune engines for a living I listen and try to learn from what they find.

I am afraid my theory on the extra timing comes from 'tuners' saying that is the sort of timing an LS1 with a mild cam makes best power. Again, I personally have no proof to dispute that.
    I did not witness that on the dyno with my car, but then after 7 or 8 runs perhaps the engine could not cope with 28 degrees (it was starting to show slight knock). My test was to run 28 degrees on the street where for the most part you are getting fresh/dense air and the intake is not suffering heat soak, it did not log any knock with that timing, but the seat of the pants dyno isn't real accurate, so was there any gain??, not sure, still left two black strips down the road though

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

I have seen with my own two eyes the leaner i run the car the more power/mph it seems to run. Previously on a richer mixture i only picked up 25-26 mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 leaner the car out a tad and it went from 25-26 to a solid 27 mph between the 1/8 asnd the 1/4 with 28* of timing and no knock whatsoever
    EFILive - The Single version of the Truth

Larry - HumpinSS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12