Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get my car to idle leaner then 11.5:1 AFR????

Lifetime Member

Default Can't get my car to idle leaner then 11.5:1 AFR????

I have an ls1 with a custm O.S. and a 2002 reflash( 2000 pcm) Problem seems to be that I cannot get the idle range AFR to go leaner then about 11.5:1. I keep auto tuning and everytime I do the paste and multipy to lower the VE on the overly rich cells, it multiply's them by .80. The numbers in my VE chart are getting really low, around 30. It eventually starts to bog real bad with throttle tip in. The leaner I make it(even though it does'nt get any leaner) it make the surging idle problem I have even worse. I run a 96 lb injectors. Have any ideas? Should I enable the idle STFT?? What would this do exactly?
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    1000 HP 93 octane street car!
    96 lb injectors

Lifetime Member

Did you scale the injectors?
    \"You Can Never Have Enough Horsepower\"

mine did something similiar. turned out the o2 was not calibrated properly. once i carefully recalibrated it the BEN's settled at 0.98-1.01.
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

Lifetime Member

I have the injectors rescaled. The A/F ratio is perfect from about 3/8 throttle and up. It runs at a nice 13.5-14.7:1 AFR. the problem is below that. Part throttle and idle will not lean out.

Could it be an adjustment I need to make with pulse width or injector dwell? It's almost like below a certain point they will not aloow any less fuel to flow. I am running low imp 96 lb/hr injectors with a Acceleronics driver. I run 45 psi constant at the regulator.

My actual AFR PID shows everything is all good except at low throttle the map will drastically drop from 13-14 afr right to around 11-12?

Any ideas?? The car is tuned almost perfect except for this area. Not a big deal if all I want to do is go fast, but I do street driving mostly.
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    96 lb injectors

Lifetime Member

My twin turbo ls1 runs 96 lb injectors with an acceleronics injector driver. The problem is rich idle. On my data log AFR map, anything below 1200 rpm between 50 and 75 kpa is anout 11-11.5:1 AFR. the next cells around this area are 13-14:1 afr. Why would just the area drop off so instantly from running correct to dead rich?

I have 96 lb injectors.
    I changed my MIN pulse width setting to .75 ms. Idle is about 1.3-1.4 ms in this "rich" area.
    I have lowered the ve map so far to try to lower idle AFR, that the VEnumbers ar e now into the teens(about 60% leaner then stock) Lowering VE seems to do absolutly nothing?
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    96 lb injectors

Lifetime Member

{B3607} Open Loop Lean Limit (Idle) - Take a look at this value if you are Open Loop SD.
    FWIW.

Cheers,
    joel

Guys,

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the injector's dead time. The relatively large injectors you are using require more time (even with the higher current) to accurately control fueling. The battery voltage comps and injector dead comps, and rise time comps that the ECU does is centered around the stock saturated injectors.

So, even though the CS453 injector drivers used in the Acceleronics units can handle the current draw of the 96'ers, you still end up with totally inaccurate settings for controlling those large injectors at small opening times.

I built my own P&H drivers and was considering marketing them, until I saw the Acceleronics thing, but nevertheless this was one problem we ran into then as well....

Now I'm thinking that I could use an on-board microprocessor to intercept the injection pulse width command from the ECU and modify the dead time and battery comps based on the type of injectors used before sending the signal to the driver. It could have a nice little GUI to let the user pick the injector type from a menu and alter the program! Thanks for the idea!

I'll bet our buddies Ross and Paul can find the location in the PCM for the table that controls the injector comps and give us something more to play around with???????
    EFI UNIVERSITY
    "Setting the Standard"
    www.efi101.com

I guess this is one limitation working with a factory computer.
    There is a resonable amount of tables for the injectors.
    There has been a few guys out here running low imp injectors via a driver box that got it all sorted with what is currently in EFILive, but, they are a business so we should not expect them to share too much info.

Ben, I know you can picture in your head injector flow figures, we do have a table that is a limiter for the minimum injector time, most factory tunes this is set to about 1.28mS, could we do the maths with the injectors and fuel pressure to see if that is low enough?. Would altering this help?. Or is the real problem the P&H drivers?

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

foff667

Lifetime Member

I have the prgram setu to the custom os and auto tune tutorial's.
    My (B3607) value is 15.395 in the column.

It is wierd how I have the minimum injector pulse time adjusted to .75 ms, but my logging shows they are only going down to 1.3-1.4??? I run at 45 psi fuel pressure.

There has to be something to I can change to make the pcm give less fuel at idle!?!?
    '71 chevelle
    Twin turbo ls1
    96 lb injectors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast