Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: IAT heat soak

Lifetime Member

Thank god for a0014...lol
    01 Z06, 4L60E CONVERSION, L92/L76 TOP END, 72# LS3 INJECTORS (THANKS FIC), DRY NITROUS, COS5

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute View Post
    I believe that until we can accurately measure the intake aircharge near the valve, with a sensor that isnt prone to inaccuracy due to its own body becoming heatsoaked, we will be constantly chasing our tail. Until then we have the bias tables to estimate the temp as well as misreporting sensors. No wonder we end up pulling our hair out & using what we can to get as close as possible.
    Well, I'm almost there, with a cruel twist. I'm running a Starr supercharger setup with an IAT sensor literally stuck in one of the intake ports. The bad news is that it's a brass threaded sensor screwed into an aluminum manifold. I never see anything below about 115 F and to add insult to injury, as with any F/I setup, I'm constantly "modulating" my IAT with the heat generated by the compressor. Stuck in traffic, fuhgettaboutit. DELCO is probably the only guy equipped to make sense of something like this, since he has the same setup, and I believe he invented the A0014 table anyhow.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

Place the sensor by the air filter if you have not already as the motor super heats the motor compartment air and the air by your filter is the accurate intake air temp no mater how you look at it.
    98 tigershark
    98 tigershark
    L92/427 w/L76 CC'ed heads n upgraded springs
    4.100 stroke, 4.068 bore w/ 11:1 comp
    Cam, 591 int, 613exhst, 232-246dur@.050, 115*
    LG headers, High flow cats,
    RPM level 5 trans, RPM 3.42 gears, 2800 rpm trq convrt. .
    Special Thanx to Joe and Bruce!

Quote Originally Posted by 98 tigershark View Post
    Place the sensor by the air filter if you have not already as the motor super heats the motor compartment air and the air by your filter is the accurate intake air temp no mater how you look at it.
    98 tigershark
    The combustion chamber is a long way from the air filter. There is ample opportunity for the temps to change along the way. The air/fuel molecules detonating in the combustion chamber don't care a bit what the temperature used to be when they started their journey.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
    The combustion chamber is a long way from the air filter. There is ample opportunity for the temps to change along the way. The air/fuel molecules detonating in the combustion chamber don't care a bit what the temperature used to be when they started their journey.
    absolutely correct!

Default Then locate the IAT sensor by the combustion chamber?

I believe the question was IAT heat soak.
    What you are talking about is an entirely different issue. If you want the correct air temp that the car is taking in then the sensor needs to be next to the air intake filter. The molecule thing sounds impressive and is something to consider in the start up table but not the IAT as the question again was heat soak and the IAT sensor, right. After all the IAT temp is the IAT temp not the valve temp and the density of molecules as once started the IAT has priority on most all 1997 to 2005 PCMs
    98 tigershark
    98 tigershark

The PCM is using IAT (and other values) to estimate how much air just went in... so while the molecules themselves don't care what temperature they started with (at the IAT sensor, a long way away from the CCs), the number of molecules is dependent on the IAT (and a few other things).

Why not have dual IATs then , one at the filter and then one at TB ?
    Like I have seen , some older models have the IAT in the intake manifold behind the TB , couldn't get much better than that , but yet they moved the IAT out to the filter location .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

yes, you can fix heatsoak, but in the process completely lose the point of having an IAT. you're supposed to be estimating temperatures of the airmass in the intake, not air outside, that's just called the ambient thermometer

Joe and Red hard Supra are right I think. The IAT on most 1997-05 PCMs is to do a few things and does have a high priority in the computations. I thought heat soak was when the O2 sensors are to warm to accurately communicate with the PCM. The IAT/ETC AND THE BARO blend determine the amount of air density entering the cylinder or known as the charge temperature.
    98 tigershark
    98 tigershark

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast