Thread: S10 ZR2 and Tach

Default S10 ZR2 and Tach

Here's the deal, i have a ZR2 S10 that i put in a L31. It is basically a stock engine with headers, CAI, bored .030 over, and the biggest change would be the cam, 431/451 (Ramjet 350 cam). I got my tune done with HP, it was totally messed up the first time. I sent it back and recieved a slightly better calibration, but still off. Since the guy who tuned it originally, left it unlocked i sent it to another guy i know who has the same motor and truck as me, but he has EFI Live. He says that the spark( timing) was way the hell off for this motor, and that there is a ETC section to it. The VIN that was programmed into it goes to a 01 Silvy 6.0L. I am assuming that the tuner again tuned it wrong. This tuner is supposed to be very reputable, and has tuned many FS trucks. I guess that is my problem right there, LOL...

Anyway, all this rambling with no substance. The guy who is now tuning it says that the tach won't work properly without a tach module. Why is that? I know guys are having to use it, but from what i understand with HP the tach was fine, why is it not ok when tuned with EFI? Shit, for all i know that tach was off with HP, but i was never able to drive the damn thing because of the messed up tune that was in it.

I do not have EFI Live at the moment, so i can't post up the log, or file. I wish i could. I can't seem to locate a used V2 or even V1 for that matter. these things are like GOLD, noone wants to part with it. I couldn't even find a used HP tuner. I know I know, just buy a new one, Just a bit out of my price range at the moment. But now that it has been tuned with it, i will have to get one if i want to make any adjustments later on.

Is blackbear the only person around that will lend you there black box logger and do a mail order custom tune?

I guess this is my introduction.. LOL

Thanks,

Mike

Lifetime Member

I am assuming it is an 01 or 02 S10 that you own. I have opened up an 02 V-6 S10 tune and an 02 Express Van 5.7 tune which is the tune that I run in my 98 fullsize GMC with the LS1 PCM. The tach parameters are the same---So my assumption is that an 01 or 02 Express Van tune should work your tach and be a good starting tune to go with. I have never done what you are asking about--but it seems it should work.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2WD, Internally stock 305 w/Twin T-3 junkyard Turbos,4L80e,Ramjet intake,42lb.inj., 0411PCM, COS3,4675LBS w/me in it. Best Time on 5 passes-13.01@110

Quote Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
    I am assuming it is an 01 or 02 S10 that you own. I have opened up an 02 V-6 S10 tune and an 02 Express Van 5.7 tune which is the tune that I run in my 98 fullsize GMC with the LS1 PCM. The tach parameters are the same---So my assumption is that an 01 or 02 Express Van tune should work your tach and be a good starting tune to go with. I have never done what you are asking about--but it seems it should work.

Jeff
    Hey Jeff,

Yeah it's me Mike in Pa... LOL. I was debating on what i was going to do after i sent you the PCM. After i got it back from W*$%$Y, he left it unlocked. It seemed to work much better then before. It still wasn't right though. The transmission would shift weird, and it wouldn't idle right, and I was having problems with start-ups, it would take a long time to start. Normally it would start right up, at the most it would take 2 tries. Typical for a FI engine.

I sent it to a guy in Ohio who has the same truck and motor as me, since i'm not familiar with the "lingo" lol, i will post up what he said about the tune and tach,

"He had the correct engine calibration number in it, but it had the ETC (electronic throttle control) folder in it. Weird seeming no Vortec 5.7s had ETC. He somehow added that I guess. I'm using a 2002 S10 4.3 calibration for your tune, with a segment swap for the engine and engine diagnostics pulled from a 5.7 Express van. Also your Tach WILL NOT read correctly without a Dakota Digital tach unit inline. The spark timing was very high for a stockish 5.7. He also had the fuel tank set at 30 gallons"

Just hoping that this will solve the problems i was having, and can get it back on the road.
    Also, is there something that he could do to make the tach work. From what you are saying, he should start out with a stock van tune, then work from there. Can he segment the tach .cal over?

Thanks

Mike.

Lifetime Member

The ETC tab is an update of EFILive. If the ETC parameter is not set to 1 in the Vehicle Platform tab then the ETC settings are not available and/or active. I used the complete Express Van tune on my truck. All of my gauges have worked properly for almost 3 years.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2WD, Internally stock 305 w/Twin T-3 junkyard Turbos,4L80e,Ramjet intake,42lb.inj., 0411PCM, COS3,4675LBS w/me in it. Best Time on 5 passes-13.01@110

Just wanted to give an update, I got the computer back the other day, and i must say that it is better then it has ever been. Since it's a mail order tune(semi-custom), i don't and won't expect it to be perfect. but as of now, that is the only word i can use to describe it.

I no longer have a hard time starting it, the idle is where i think it should be and not below 500 warmed in gear like with the other tune. IIRC Jeff, I told you that I didn't have the light for the gear selector, I have it now for some odd reason. The guy who did it said that he had that same problem when he had his computer tuned by someone else. I am hoping the P0300 code won't be set with this now that the timing/spark has been corrected. I didn't get that code while idling with the last tune,only when i took it for a spin. Since i let the registration run out, i wasn't able to take the truck out for a long drive, but i did take it around the block. It feels much stronger now, and smoother.

I can't believe i spent 250.00 on a tune from someone that (apparently) doesn't have a clue at what he's doing. This should be a lesson to all that plan on sending out there computer to be tuned. I thought i was getting a tune from a reputable person/company, but as it turned out he wasn't much good at what i needed him to do. I am going to refrain from naming anyone(cough WHE cough ATLEY cough), because most here do there own tuning.

Thanks for everyones help. Now all i need to do is get a tuner/scanner so i can mess with it myself.

Lifetime Member

Cool,
    Glad it is heading in the right direction.

Jeff