Thread: Logging Resistance Based Values - IE Oil Temp Sensor

Default Logging Resistance Based Values - IE Oil Temp Sensor

I'm lost...

I realize that the V2 under the temp settings wants to read a ungrounded K Type thermocouple (I use this for monitoring my EGT).....

I would like to monitor my oil temperature, although my duramax does not stock have an oil temp sensor in the truck.
    There's a great place already tapped and plugged to put one in I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it logging what I want it to log...
    I'm using an Autometer 2 prong gauge sender and when I plug it into the 'temp1' (or temp2) input of the V2 and it thinks it's 800C.

I would like to be able to BBL this, but, I understand I can't have custom things in the BBL - Other than buying a KType thermocouple how would I go about this?

Your temp sender is likely to be 12V variable resistance (and it's the resistance that the gauge displays as temp), whereas the V2 want's an input of 0-5V to measure.

Someone clever will be along shortly to give you a solution to the problem hopefully.

Jim
    2000 LS1 M6, No EGR/Air/PS/CATs. TR230 Cam, COS3, OLSD, LC1 Wideband fitted, Procharger P1SC, 2 Bar MAP, Siemans Dekka 60Lb Injectors.
    All wrapped up in a 2000Lb AC Cobra Replica

What is the output for you sender?
    You will need to make a calc.pid for the voltage input to the V1/V2.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

If you check out the innovate site there is some good info on there about logging temp sensors into there units. These methods can be used with the V2 unit as they also have a 5v max input.
    Since temp sensors are a thermistor and do not give a linear voltage you will need to make your CALC.PID use the lookup() function from known values. These values are calculated from 3 known temperatures & resistance values in the thermistor calc program you can also get from that site. I used 0 degC (ICE) ambient temperature (thermometer on the wall) & 100 DegC (boiling water).
    The Tremor at AIR

Wow, thank you so much for the help, I'm going to get started on this!! Now i just have to find the innovative site

Got to here http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/index.php
    Use thermistor or logging temperature in the search window & you should find the info you are after. If you cant find the thermistor calc program or it is no longer on the site just post up your resistance values at the three temps like I did & I can post up the values for you.
    The Tremor at AIR