Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortec head tunes for 5.7L

Default Vortec head tunes for 5.7L

I recently built a 383 with Vortec heads, VE table is dead on, but am still working on the timing tables. I have adjusted the High Octane Table but am curious to see everyone else's setups to get an idea where i need mine. If someone could share theirs with me would be awesome!! I am going to the track in a few weeks and need to get it somewhat perfect.

I have adjusted WOT timing to the point of about 32 degrees advance and the truck pulls hard but the low RPM timing is my question. Seems like the engine does'nt pull hard below 4000. Thanks guys!!

post your tune and i'll have a look at it
    330 rwkw EFILIVE OS 01290005 SD Cam / Head Tuned 6 speed VY SS Commodore
    10/71 Blown 572 Big Block Chev HQ 2 Door Monaro

GM Performance Centre
    Busselton WA
    AUSTRALIA
    Phone: 0447 003050

383 internal balance
    Mercruiser MPFI ported, 27lb injectors, ported throttle body
    Iron 64cc vortec ported and polished
    Comp Cams Beehive springs for 0.550 lift, Crane gold rockers 1.5 Camshaft:Comp Cams XFI 280 hydraulic roller, Comp Cams Magnum hydraulic rollers

Cam specs:
    Operating Range: 2000-6000 RPM
    Duration Advertised: 280° Intake / 288° Exhaust
    Duration @ .050'' Lift: 230° Intake / 236° Exhaust
    Valve Lift w/1.6 Rockers: .576'' Intake / .570'' Exhaust
    Lobe Separation Angle: 113°
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have a BADASS 383 tune for a 1997 style PCM. It was tuned professionally and is VERY good for a nice 383 tune. It is in a different format that EFI Live and I'll try to get some time to dig it up and see if I can modify your tune for you.

You might want to PM me and remind me. I'm working 6 days a week right now. Sundays would be a good time for me to do it.

The tune was originally done with LT1Edit, so I'm not sure if it will correspond with EFI Live much but I'll try to give it a try for you soon. Sunday would be a good time to nail me down. Shouldn't even take me more than half an hour to check it all out.

Awesome! I have the VE table pretty well dialed in but all i mainly need is the timing table. If you had to, copy the data to an excel spreadsheet and send that. thanks!!!

Any chance you were able to get that tune converted for me?? Thanks

I had posted the excel spreadsheet showing the timing differences once on another forum and a bunch of assholes went nuts about it because the tune was ORIGINALLY done by Ed Wright. Whine-One-One was called and that was the end of that.

The tune is no longer Ed's (modified). I took down the spreadsheet and refuse to post it again. A bunch of piles of shit ruined THAT for you. Those same pricks are the ones that keep their cards close to their chest and don't really help others with the interesting things, like tuning. They think tuning is the only advantage they have, so they don't help others...hence why you aren't finding any L31 help.

My answer to those that say that the tune is "Ed's property": Are you representing him? Are you his lawyer? The man can speak for himself and is a member here. Ed has plenty of respect from me and I always point customers to his shop.

I know of a million L31 guys who post here and I'm not sure where they have gone and why they won't help you. Hog is one who comes to mind. I think he posts a lot on LS1Tech.

wow somebody's upset. I think if you paid for the tune from ed, so then you own it and if you feel like posting it up, that is up to you, and if ed has a problem with that he can contact you in private about it, and anyone else who has a problem with it can shut up unless they are a business partner, lawyer, or other representative of ed's business. afterall, the tune is for your setup. I don't think its any different than say buying a recipe for cookies and then deciding to share that recipe with someone else. after all, its really not like ed would be losing a bunch of business from you sharing one of his tunes, hell, even MANY of his tunes. as I see it, anyone with the equipment and know-how to tune a pcm wouldn't be buying a tune from someone else anyway. his tuning business is focused more on those who need tunes but don't have the ability to tune it themselves. the only "loss" I could see him being upset about is someone sharing what he did to the tune with other tuners who might try to copy his ideas. but even then, a tuner who tries to run a business based off of copying other people's tunes would suck at tuning. ed's tuning ability comes from his experience, something that can't be copied.

anyways, I tune my L31, but the issue I think with yours is that your setup is quite different than others out there. so other people's spark maps most likely wouldnt be the best for you. especially with your cam. I'd share my tune but I am at work and don't have my tuning computer with me. mostly its just mild alterations of a stock L31 timing table. but my setup is also a 350, zz4 cam (.474/.510 lift, 208/221 duration, 112*LSA, quite different than yours), custom modified MPFI intake manifold....so my setup is not very simmilar to yours other than the vortec heads. but if you would like to see one of my tunes I can share it with you. let me know.
    Last edited by Aloicious; June 25th, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

i would like to see this tune i have a similar set-up

thank you
    97 2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80e/4x4 411 pcm /thorley tri-y's/dual super 40's with x (catless)/aem cai/msd 6a and coil/zz4 cam/beehive spring/lm-1

stock sucks

Quote Originally Posted by tokymon View Post
    i would like to see this tune i have a similar set-up

thank you
    just saw this, I'm assuming you're talking about my tune since you've got the ZZ4 cam? let me find one and I'll post it.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast