Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cam/crank correlation with vortec dist?

Default cam/crank correlation with vortec dist?

Okay, so I'm working on the 24x conversion in my L31 vortec. how are you working with adjusting the dizzy for a correct cam/crank correlation? are you just stabbing the dist as you would normally with #1 at TDC for the intake and having the dist point where #1 would be, then logging the CMP Retard offset (vortec) to get it +- 2*? or is there a better way to get a correlating crank/cam signal with the 24x LS type setup?
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious View Post
    Okay, so I'm working on the 24x conversion in my L31 vortec. how are you working with adjusting the dizzy for a correct cam/crank correlation? are you just stabbing the dist as you would normally with #1 at TDC for the intake and having the dist point where #1 would be, then logging the CMP Retard offset (vortec) to get it +- 2*? or is there a better way to get a correlating crank/cam signal with the 24x LS type setup?
    24x Documentation at http://www.eficonnection.com/24x/24x_Documentation.htm

Shortcut to the information you need at http://www.eficonnection.com/24x/doc...stallation.pdf. This document is included with every 24x purchase for non-LT1 applications.

What are the symptoms of incorrect cam/crank correlation?
    - P1345 Cam Sensor Alignment
    - extended cranking before starting
    - engine backfire while cranking
    24x LS1 PCM on Early Small-Block Chevy and LT1/LT4
    http://www.eficonnection.com

Quote Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
    24x Documentation at http://www.eficonnection.com/24x/24x_Documentation.htm

Shortcut to the information you need at http://www.eficonnection.com/24x/doc...stallation.pdf. This document is included with every 24x purchase for non-LT1 applications.

What are the symptoms of incorrect cam/crank correlation?
    - P1345 Cam Sensor Alignment
    - extended cranking before starting
    - engine backfire while cranking
    I did get that, I must have completely skipped that part though. thanks Mike. I may have more questions upcoming, I'm still prepping the block for the new heads.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

okay, after re-reading that link I do remember it, however I'm mainly wondering what PID I log to while adjusting the distributor while it is seated to get its position correct, with the old 4x setup it is the CMP retard offset (vortec) which is logged while running to adjust the distributor correctly, and get it to within +- 2*. I'm assuming that is what I want to log to set it, or since that PID is designated "vortec", which I believe means it relates to the 4x, if there is a corrected PID I should be logging that will correlate with the 24x crank sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious View Post
    okay, after re-reading that link I do remember it, however I'm mainly wondering what PID I log to while adjusting the distributor while it is seated to get its position correct, with the old 4x setup it is the CMP retard offset (vortec) which is logged while running to adjust the distributor correctly, and get it to within +- 2*. I'm assuming that is what I want to log to set it, or since that PID is designated "vortec", which I believe means it relates to the 4x, if there is a corrected PID I should be logging that will correlate with the 24x crank sensor.
    The L21 installation procedure for the cam sensor (distributor) is basically as provided in the previously mentioned document. GM doesn't even mention monitoring a PID while adjusting the sensor.
    24x LS1 PCM on Early Small-Block Chevy and LT1/LT4
    http://www.eficonnection.com

Quote Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
    The L21 installation procedure for the cam sensor (distributor) is basically as provided in the previously mentioned document. GM doesn't even mention monitoring a PID while adjusting the sensor.
    thats odd, considering its the same cam sensor as the vortec. they require the CMP offset to be +- 2* from zero. and its real touchy. I'll play around with it when I get it running and see what I can find, I'm just too OCD to not set it to something.

anyone know what the CMP Retard offset (vortec) PID is actually physically monitoring? (i.e. does the crank signal play any role in it? if not we could still use that one.)

Juc,
    just from playing with the 'non' COP setup, if you're at +/- 2deg I reckon you'd be good to go. (Jeff agree's...Lol!).
    The adjustment is 'super' sensitive to the point where tightening the hold down clamp can throw it out.
    Oh...and a question you might be able to shed some light on (being a current trailblazer).
    If you were to install the 24x reluctor wheel and then go to {G1207} Vehicle Platform Options and change 'Low Resolution Crank' to NO...will it run the dizzy and one coil? Ie...stock application???
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

Quote Originally Posted by hquick View Post
    Juc,
    just from playing with the 'non' COP setup, if you're at +/- 2deg I reckon you'd be good to go. (Jeff agree's...Lol!).
    The adjustment is 'super' sensitive to the point where tightening the hold down clamp can throw it out.
    Oh...and a question you might be able to shed some light on (being a current trailblazer).
    If you were to install the 24x reluctor wheel and then go to {G1207} Vehicle Platform Options and change 'Low Resolution Crank' to NO...will it run the dizzy and one coil? Ie...stock application???
    yeah I've adjusted it alot in non COP setups, but since the PID is specifically labeled as "vortec" I'm not sure if the 4x crank signal has any part of the PID since that is a big part of the "vortec" setup. heh. so since I have to restab the dizzy (heads/intake off currently), and it is so sensitive, I'm looking for a way to set it with the 24x reluctor in already, or if I should just stab the dizzy and let it be like Mike is talking about. but I'm WAY too OCD for that, you know how that is...heh

I'm not sure if you could run a 24x reluctor, and single coil/dizzy that easy or not. I need to look at B1207 closer, but I'm not sure it works that way.

Lifetime Member

Hey Justin,
    We (Howard and I) don't know if it will run this way either. We were just curious if it would. That way you could put in the 24x wheel and get the truck running and then finish off the full CNP deal. Mostly just curiosity--But, we would really like to know of it would work.

Jeff---and Howard

PS: Howard (HQuick) and family are here in the states for a month and are staying with my family for several days--We are having a great visit.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2WD, Internally stock 305 w/Twin T-3 junkyard Turbos,4L80e,Ramjet intake,42lb.inj., 0411PCM, COS3,4675LBS w/me in it. Best Time on 5 passes-13.01@110

Quote Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
    Hey Justin,
    We (Howard and I) don't know if it will run this way either. We were just curious if it would. That way you could put in the 24x wheel and get the truck running and then finish off the full CNP deal. Mostly just curiosity--But, we would really like to know of it would work.

Jeff---and Howard

PS: Howard (HQuick) and family are here in the states for a month and are staying with my family for several days--We are having a great visit.

Jeff
    yeah, it would be interesting if it would run like that, the main problem with me finishing is I keep getting called into work, and since I work graveyards it kinda screws up plans for the following day as well. but job security is good. heh.

I'll see if I have time to test it but I'm not sure if I will or not. right now I'm prepping the block for the new heads. and modifying the intake manifold to be boost friendly. I may get it running with the CNP first, and do some tuning with the new heads and 24x setup first, then add the whipple later. It kinda just depends on how it all goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast