Thread: Licensed PCM now unlicensed?

Default Licensed PCM now unlicensed?

Sequence of events today:

-Upgraded to v. 7.3 PR 10, but didn't update my .cal files
    -Made some changes to my tune and flashed it onto my PCM fine
    -Upgraded my cal files
    -Went to reflash my PCM again and the PC locked up after erasing flash memory and when the status indicator was at 4 of 512 KB transferred
    -Turned off ignition, restarted FlashScan, went to re-flash PCM, and now it says the PCM is no longer licensed!

Any idea what happened here? My truck won't start now and I don't want to relicense its PCM unnecessarily. Suggestions?
    1995 GMC Yukon 4WD 4DR
    5.3 "LMG" engine: E85 with AFM
    6L80e 6 speed automatic transmission

Well this was interesting. I tried again to reflash and the program locked up at 2 KB. Rebooted the computer and tried again and everything went fine. I should know to try this first by now. Any ideas what could have happened?
    1995 GMC Yukon 4WD 4DR

Wow, 4K of 512K and now your engine runs again, I am so happy!!.
    Why?, because you nearly had a VERY brain dead PCM, glad to see our recovery proceedures worked for you on a failed full flash.

The answer to your question, sorry, I am not sure.

But you shouldn't need to 'risk' doing a full flash unless you are updating your PCM operating system.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Whoops, I screwed up again. I was only flashing the calibration earlier, not the whole 512K. Guess it was 4 of 96K then.
    1995 GMC Yukon 4WD 4DR

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

It may be that FlashScan did not read the identifying data from the PCM correctly and "thought" it was a different PCM. This has happened before. To mitigate the possibility of mis-identifying a PCM, EFILive reads the PCM identifying info three different times before starting the reflash. All three data reads must match before FlashSCan will allow a reflash to occur. It is unlikely but (remotely) possible that all three reads failed with the same bad identifying data.

If you get the message that the PCM is not licensed but you know it is, do not continue with the reflash. Exit from the EFILive reflash window, turn off the ignition (do not disconnect power from the PCM - just in case) wait 20 seconds, turn on the ignition again then re-open the EFILive reflash window and retry the reflash.

Regards
    Paul