Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New beginner's Tuning Guide (DVD) from Calibrated Success

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    ^

From all I've heard the PCM uses EQ, at least for all of us LS1 users,
    which is the inverse of whatever Lambda is. ({B3601} 14.63?)
    What difference does it make if you want "~14.2ish" when B3601 is
    set to "14.6ish"?
    Most of us are not going to change the OS and add the sensor for flex fuel
    so why "get used to Lambda"?

And what is 1.00 Lambda?
    I have seen it "advertised" anywhere from 14.6 to 14.7
    At least with EQ you can be sure of what 1.00 is because you can set it.
    he's talking about Lambda UNITS, which are typically misunderstood with lambda sensors...i.e. lambda sensors (narrowbands) detect 14.68 AFR or an EQ of 1 using pure gasoline (meaning no ethanol or stoich modifying additives). alot of folks assume then that the term "lambda" = 14.68 AFR. but in actuality, lambda units are just a way of expressing how close a mixture is to its stoichiometric coefficient.

so for example, using gasoline with stoich of 14.68:1
    EQ = 1.00, Lamda = 1.00, AFR = 14.68

5% rich:
    EQ = 1.05, Lambda = .95, AFR = 13.946

20% rich:
    EQ = 1.20, Lambda = .80, AFR = 11.744

10% Lean:
    EQ = .90, Lambda = 1.10, AFR = 16.148

15% lean
    EQ = .85, Lambda =1.15, AFR = 16.882

(see what I mean about choosing EQ vs Lambda and sticking with it, they're total opposites, so its easy to get confused if you're constantly switching back and forth.)

and if the mixture was altered so that stoich was 9.0:1 like with pure ethanol, a EQ ratio of 1.00 would still equal a Lambda of 1.00, which in this case, would equal an AFR of 9.0

which is why its best to use unit like EQ or Lambda for commanding fuel, because they are a percentage factor of B3601, and not an absolute number. like if your commanded fuel table was in EQ, and you commanded 1.05 in a specific cell, it would give you 5% rich mixture, compared to whatever was in B3601, regardless of what that number may be, now if you ran solely on AFR, then if you ever changed B3601, you'd need to change all your commanded fuel tables, actually all your fuel tables that reference AFR because the stoichiometric point of the fuel has been changed. this kind of stuff is important where I live since MOST gas stations still run 0% ethanol, but every once in a while you'll find a 10% or so mix being sold, so with using EQ ratios, I can just change B3601 to the correct stoich point of the fuel mix I am running and all my fueling tables are in line since I use a percentage factor, EQ ratio.

sorry if this is fairly elementry Mr. Prick, I know you're a smart guy, I'm just putting this out there for anyone's benefit.
    Last edited by Aloicious; August 11th, 2009 at 08:47 AM.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Default mr.prick is right!

mr.prick is right. GM uses EQ and translates it to 14.7. So what about Lambda?
    The thing is as I mentioned above. What is the DVD and Greg's target market.
    It certainly is not EFILive users as I see it. He is clearly a smart guy. He has no branding identification with his product. That does not mean EFI or HP or Hon-data etc.. (Gregs Basic with EFILive and Gregs basics with HPTuners or hondata with seperate DVDs). Do you get the point? What are trying to sell and to who. It is very confusing. I have found that Most Tuners are very loyal to there Tuning tool as I am with EFILive and it would bother me to see most everything done in HP tuners or even the import tuner scene as that is the market that uses Lambda. Greg, you are a very knowledgeable guy, but spend some time identifying your target market and how to approach it with a product that is brand-able as a small sample above. You did the tuning research but also need to do have a niche specific product that has a brand. Your reputation is somewhat of a brand for example but not exactly. Again I thought this was for beginners, am I wrong. If that is the market did it miss the target?
    Greg, EQ, Lambda, AFR is a preference so demonstrate to all not just what you prefer. Marketing! Greg what you are trying is needed but is it the beginner market you are trying to hit? Then what is their demographics and does your product hit that market profitably with an acceptable absorption rate? Greg, I am not picking on you, honestly trying to help.
    I wish you well.
    Regards,
    98 tigershark
    98 tigershark
    L92/427 w/L76 CC'ed heads n upgraded springs
    4.100 stroke, 4.068 bore w/ 11:1 comp
    Cam, 591 int, 613exhst, 232-246dur@.050, 115*
    LG headers, High flow cats,
    RPM level 5 trans, RPM 3.42 gears, 2800 rpm trq convrt. .
    Special Thanx to Joe and Bruce!

R.I.P Shawn, 1956-2011 WeathermanShawn's Avatar

Give me a book and I will read it cover to cover a half-dozen times to make sure I learn it.

In all honesty I do see see a market for tuning knowledge, but this recession has made a lot of purchases more of an luxury now. If excess dollars start flowing in again, signing up for a combination dyno and tuning workshop would be something of interest to me.

Not knocking the value of any knowledge. Just curious how this recession has hit this particular hobby/business.
    Last edited by WeathermanShawn; February 10th, 2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Grammer
    2002 Black Camaro Z-28 M6 Hardtop 11.0:1CR 425HP/410TQ SAE (400TQ@3500RPM)
    200cc Heads, 228/232 110+2 Cam, 1 3/4" LT's w/catts, GMMG, Koni Shocks, Hotchkis Springs, 35/21 Sways, 17" ZR1's, 3.90 Gears Roadrunner PCM LM-2 Serial Wideband
    EFILive Closed-Loop MAF/SD Hybrid Tune..

Quote Originally Posted by 98 tigershark View Post
    mr.prick is right. GM uses EQ and translates it to 14.7. So what about Lambda?
    GM does use EQ, but EQ isn't translated to 14.7, thats a common misconception. EQ is just a scale, its just a way to say how close something is to stoichiometric. for pure gasoline an EQ of 1.00 is 14.7:1, but with another fuel, it may not be. an EQ of 1.00 using pure ethanol is 9.0:1, using Diesel its 14.6:1, Hydrogen is 34:1, Methanol is 6.4:1....

I agree with you on marketing to your key demographic, but I also feel the truely advanced tuner wants to understand everything, not just what is applicable to their vehicles. which is why its nice to understand things like Lambda units (which you CAN use in EFILive, you just need to change some settings to do so). however the ambitions of a minority of the consumers shouldn't change the need for good marketing, so I think your points are still very valid. after all, if I'm looking to buy a product to help me tune, I'd be looking for GM based, EFILive based, etc and thats what I'd buy first....would I like to read HPT, ford, FAST, etc. stuff? sure I would, but is it worth my money? thats where the question mark is. and I think thats where you've got a good point.
    Last edited by Aloicious; August 11th, 2009 at 09:15 AM.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Not to add to much salt to the wound , but @ $249 that is a little much for a basic tuning DVD , $24.95 and it would be more in line with books and perhaps sell 1000s more copies . There are basic tuning guides on the Internet for free .
    One of the first things to do in EFILive is change from Lambda to EQ so you can AutoVE correctly .
    EQ , AFR and Lambda are all easy to learn , once the general concept is explained , but sounds like EQ is measurement of choice .
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Default Same here, The market today is a value oriented market.

Hello WeathermanShawn,

I do agree with you. The market today is a value oriented market so already you have identified a market that is worthy. The next question is how to profitably approach that market in a value oriented maner. This is a very profitable market to get a start in or expand as the market is there but it takes more work than the product itself quite often.
    You made a very good point so thank you weathermanShawn.
    Regards,
    98 tigershark

Quote Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn View Post
    Yea, I am kinda of an old-school type learner. Give me a book and I will read it cover to cover a half-dozen times to make sure I learn it.

In all honesty I do see see a market for tuning knowledge, but this recession has made a lot of purchases more of an luxury now. If excess dollars start flowing in again, signing up for a combination dyno and tuning workshop would be something of interest to me.

Again, not knocking the value of any knowledge. Just curious how this recession has hit this particular hobby/business.

..WeathermanShawn..
    98 tigershark

Default Beer Summit

We need a beer summit I think! Lets have a beer summit to think about the beer summit!
    98 tigershark
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Not to add to much salt to the wound , but @ $249 that is a little much for a basic tuning DVD , $24.95 and it would be more in line with books and perhaps sell 1000s more copies . There are basic tuning guides on the Internet for free .
    One of the first things to do in EFILive is change from Lambda to EQ so you can AutoVE correctly .
    EQ , AFR and Lambda are all easy to learn , once the general concept is explained , but sounds like EQ is measurement of choice .
    98 tigershark

Default Beer Summit

We need a beer summit I think! Lets have a beer summit to think about the beer summit!
    98 tigershark
    98 tigershark

sweet dvd but to rich for me at the moment i hope they come down in price in the future is there a book that would be cheaper?
    04 gmc cc 4x4 6ltr tuned by w4me

operator error
    efi-live v2 sitting on shelf
    i am to dumb to operate

Quote Originally Posted by 98 tigershark View Post
    Hello Greg,

I have tried to read everything I can get my hands on for tuning. Jeff Hartman's Book "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management systems"
    is only $9.99 at most all book stores and covers every aspect of tuning.
    Have you read that book? It addresses what you have said above.
    Yes, I have a copy of Jeff's book and read it completely before publishing my first book (SA135, Engine Management: Advanced Tuning). I structured my book to fill in some of the gaps on late model systems that Jeff's book hadn't addressed directly, along with spelling out the general tuning procedure that I use. I didn't list the procedure as "Step 1: do this, Step 2: do this," but reading through the chapters in order along with seeing the examples in the appedices should make this fairly clear. People tend to miss this when they either skim through it or skip around.
    I cannot suggest strongly enough to have the ABC's first for each tuning tool as there are not that many.
    The ABC's are covered in the (cheaper) books. My second book coming out this fall focuses much more on the speed density stuff, but it also includes a glossary of common tuning terms. To me, the basic terms and fundamental procedures are the same whether I'm using EFILive, HPT, SCT, FAST, DFI, MegaSquirt, or whatever. The individual software systems usually do a decent job of telling you where to find these general tables within the program. I see it as my job to highlight WHEN and WHY it's a good time to touch one table instead of another.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick View Post
    ^

From all I've heard the PCM uses EQ, at least for all of us LS1 users,
    which is the inverse of whatever Lambda is. ({B3601} 14.63?)...
    And what is 1.00 Lambda?
    I have seen it "advertised" anywhere from 14.6 to 14.7
    At least with EQ you can be sure of what 1.00 is because you can set it.
    Lambda is just 1/(EQratio). Both equal 1.000 at a stoichiometric balance. Lambda is just excess air ratio where EQR is excess fuel ratio. The GM pcm's natural units are EQR, so I tune the actual commanded ratios in those units, but I use Lambda units when doing calculations to the MAF or VE tables because lambda represents the exact factor I need to multiply by to get back to stoichiometry when adjusting airflow models. I'm lazy and prefer to do less math.

And as for "tooning with a $200 toy wideband",
    you tout a <$300 WBO2 that came in dead last
    in the only WBO2 test I have seen and it has no serial option.
    I am supposed to use analog to get 100% accurate WBO2 readings from a controller that ranked last in test that used calibrated gas?
    1) That test was sponsored by the "winning" O2 sensor, coincidence?
    2) The "losing" sensor is actually manufactured by the same company (ECM) as the "reference" sensor, using the same control algorithm.
    3) The test methods were anything but scientific. I can assure you that no OEM lab calibrates UEGOs by holding them in front of a stream of cal gas freely escaping the mother bottle.
    4) Digitally transmitted crap signals are still worse than analog transmissions of quality signals. My OEM test vehicles use a 0-5v analog output from the wideband (also made by the same company as the "losing/reference" sensor) to my measurement stack and seem to work fine. I have a problem with their signal generation, not the transmission thereof.
    5) My personal tuning wideband is an ECM LambdaPRO, using the same electronics as the losing/reference sensor, tied to my EFILive cable via analog 0-5v signal. I've never had trouble with floating grounds, bad data, or overheated sensors that fail once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn View Post
    I've actually been doing live classes for about 4 years now. All of these include a dyno and demo vehicle. I've had guys who use both EFILive and brandX GM software in my advanced class and everyone seems to come away learning a lot about how to use whatever software they own. Howard @ Redline Motorsports is probably one of my best students and he's a hardcore EFILive guy.

If it makes you feel any better, I give anyone who buys the $250 DVD a 100% credit of its price toward the advanced class fee, so you're not out a penny if you take the class. The DVD just gets the basics out of the way so we can focus on better stuff in the class like virtual VE tables, scaling injectors and airflow, ETC control, and other neat stuff in the limited time of a weekend class. Heck, I even sent FREE copies of the DVD to all of my previous Advanced GM class students.

Not to add to much salt to the wound , but @ $249 that is a little much for a basic tuning DVD , $24.95 and it would be more in line with books and perhaps sell 1000s more copies . There are basic tuning guides on the Internet for free...
    "Free" internet advice is often worth the price. There's a LOT of bad info out there. The DVD is formal technical training, not an entertainment or movie experience. It's priced very competitively considering the current rate for such materials/training today. The last SAE course I took was $1600 for two days in a classroom and NO live demos of anything. See my previous note about crediting the DVD purchase price toward the Advanced GM class as well.

The whole marketing discussion could easily be its own thread. I'd be all to happy to sit down and talk about it with you guys at the PRI show if anyone makes it there. Just remember that my goal is not to flood the market with 1000's of DVDs or books just to claim high sales numbers. I'm more interested in helping individual tuners/shop owners develop good calibration practices that translate into great running cars and happy customers. I have a day job that pays my mortgage, so this is just something extra I do because I like staying plugged into the performance industry. I won't compromise my quality for quantity, but only have limited time to do all of this.
    ~Greg
    Calibrated Success - EFI Training and Tuning Done Right
    GM Beginner's Guide DVD available now through Summit!
    Engine Management: Advanced Tuning - Amazon's best deal for the EFI crowd.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast