Thread: VY HSV instrument cluster shift light

Unhappy VY HSV instrument cluster shift light

Ive been running one of these in my SS for a while now but have always had a problem with the shift light. When you first start the car, it will come on at 4000 rpm for a while then will revert to approx 500 rpm below the rev limiter setting. I cant find the reason as to why it changes away from 4000 rpm.

I understand if the engine was warmed up then this happens, but I can turn the car off and back on and it will revert back to the 4000 rpm. The day/motor can be hot or cold, it will still do it. It also has no consistancy as to how long it takes to change, so its not a timing thing. Also, sometimes after I have driven for a while, it reverts back to 4000 rpm again!

When it finally moves on to the higher alert rpm, it will set off approx 500 rpm from limiter. eg If I set the rev limiter to 6000 rpm, it will alert at approx 5500 rpm and if I change the limiter to 6500 rpm, it will alert at approx 6000 rpm.

Is there some table in the tune that changes without us knowing when we change the limiter?
    or
    Does the dash communicate with the PCM so it knows what the limiter is set at?

Does anyone have any information on these instrument clusters?

Cheers,
    Dave.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Biggsy View Post
    Ive been running one of these in my SS for a while now but have always had a problem with the shift light. When you first start the car, it will come on at 4000 rpm for a while then will revert to approx 500 rpm below the rev limiter setting. I cant find the reason as to why it changes away from 4000 rpm.

I understand if the engine was warmed up then this happens, but I can turn the car off and back on and it will revert back to the 4000 rpm. The day/motor can be hot or cold, it will still do it. It also has no consistancy as to how long it takes to change, so its not a timing thing. Also, sometimes after I have driven for a while, it reverts back to 4000 rpm again!

When it finally moves on to the higher alert rpm, it will set off approx 500 rpm from limiter. eg If I set the rev limiter to 6000 rpm, it will alert at approx 5500 rpm and if I change the limiter to 6500 rpm, it will alert at approx 6000 rpm.

Is there some table in the tune that changes without us knowing when we change the limiter?
    or
    Does the dash communicate with the PCM so it knows what the limiter is set at?

Does anyone have any information on these instrument clusters?

Cheers,
    You are probably aware anyway, but there are the limiters against oil temp, gear and ECT. Logically if the limit is dropped due temp/gear, the shift light would drop too. Just a thought .

Lifetime Member

Hmm dont know for sure but do you have a table that limits the WOT shift points until ECT is up to OT? I know the E67s do, mine limits WOT to ~4000rpm until ECT warms up.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Its cable throttle and manual. operating system is 1290003
    Changing the rev limiter changes the shift light engage RPM
    Dave.