Thread: IAT ???'s

Default IAT ???'s

Im getting real bad heat soak with my MAF/IAT sensor... IAT's are reading 150-175 Degrees F. When outside Temperature's are 75-105 Degrees F. It's due to where my AFE CAI places the MAF about 1" away from radiator. I have an IAT sensor(from another project) that I can place on the coupler right before the TB. Would this be OK to place it right before the TB?
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    Im getting real bad heat soak with my MAF/IAT sensor... IAT's are reading 150-175 Degrees F. When outside Temperature's are 75-105 Degrees F. It's due to where my AFE CAI places the MAF about 1" away from radiator. I have an IAT sensor(from another project) that I can place on the coupler right before the TB. Would this be OK to place it right before the TB?
    yeah, I would think you'd be fine, I don't run the integrated MAF/IAT sensor, but I've seen guys unwire the IAT from the MAF and run a separate sensor like you're talking about. the more accurate the IAT readings, the better.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Do you have any pics of the current setup?

I ran the stock MAF for a time and found a way to help reduce heat-soak in my Holden VZ ( so it may not work the same for you ). Basically, place some heat shielding between the radiator and the intake pipe to isolate the intake as much as possible. Then, the big change was to rotate the MAF so the plug was facing up and slightly forward.

The IAT sensor in the 6L MAF is right next to the plug. So in it's stock position, it gets heat-soaked badly because it's facing down and in one of the hottest places in the engine bay. Rotating the MAF brings it up into the fresh air and helps reduce heat-soak.

I set up a thermometer in the air box of my car, to measure the "highest possible" heat-soak temp of the air box. I then checked that against the IAT reading on the V2 and the cars own "Atmospheric Temp" reading on the dash. These have all been within 1'C of each other when checked under stable conditions ( first start in the morning ).

Here's some pics of the setup and the results of the car sitting and idling for a while....

First, the engine bay with the radiator cover on. You can see some of the heat shielding behind the MAF.

Next, the radiator cover removed.

A close up of the rotated MAF. The idea is to get the section closest to the the actual sensor away from the hot zone and into some fresh air flow to help keep it at a stable temp.

Finally the results. The black thermometer at the top has it's sensor stuck to the front wall of the filter box, between the 2 intake pipes after I did the 2 hole mod. Click here for info on the 2 hole mod The Dash gauge has it's sensor in front of the radiator, but at the very bottom so any heat from the radiator has a minimal effect. The V2 is obvious.

The big difference is air temps from the filter box to the IAT reading is probably due to...

• The position of the thermometer in the filter box not actually measuring the incoming air temp directly, but a mix of the air temps and the heat-soak in the body of the filter box. it does however indicate what the heat soak temps are and would be similar for the MAF.
    • The MAF will take some time to respond to any heat soak. the car had been idling for a couple of minutes at this stage and the engine fans were running. Given time I think the IAT temps would have risen a bit more.

Overall though, I'd still be running this if I didn't get an OTR to try out. I'm finding that there is little difference in peak air flow between the 2 hole mod and the OTR, however the OTR does cool down a lot quicker once moving.

Simon.

Simon,
    Ive always wanted to add some sort of heatshield underneath Intake/MAF area. But what i would really like to do is Fabricate an aluminum/alloy OTR CAI with a heatshield underneath, to keep HOT temps from radiator/fans down to a minimum! I've got quite a bit of room between TB & top of radiator. I havent been able to find the rectangular K&N filter that are used on the OTR set-ups... Any idea of where I can find one? If I could get a hold of one, I could fabricate something pretty quick... I'll take pics of my current set-up in the morning...
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL