Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough running after flash and return to stock, TPS problem?

Default Rough running after flash and return to stock, TPS problem?

Oh no!

In my quest to fix my speedo I did a simple PCM flash. The car immediately ran poorly. I don't think I touched any parameters that should affect engine performance so I took a short drive to see if it got better. It didn't, so I flashed back to my previous stock config, but now the TB's running even worse!

It looks like the TPS value is spiking downward every couple seconds at idle, each time almost causing the TB to stall. Do you know what could be causing this? Faulty TPS? Need for adjustment or recalibration?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

ps. I'm not sure if it relates to this thread or not. Symptoms sound similar except problems just began after first flash.
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....&highlight=tps

One more piece of information I learned this morning. The cuts in rpm correspond with the A/C attempting to kick on. When I disable the A/C the idle goes smooth.

Now, what would this have to do with pulling my stock calibration, reprogramming w/ different speedo settings, and then reverting back to my stock cal data?!?

Is there a bug in the LL8 / FlashScan somewhere? I'm losing faith in EFI Live.

So you flashed your stock cal back and now there's a different problem...?

I would say do a full flash of your stock file, but I pm'd Tech Support, see what they say first.

Thanks Joecar. To do a full flash, do you mean with the "use high speed" box un-checked, or are you referring to something else.
    (my apologies for the noob-ish questions

There are two flash operations:
    - calibration only ("cal-only flash") [narrow red down arrow],
    - calibration and operating system ("full flash") [wide red down arrow];

I am wondering maybe your PCM may not have the full flash operation.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    I am wondering maybe your PCM may not have the full flash operation.
    Gotcha. I'll have to check at the car, but here at my desk the full flash button is grayed out. Not sure what that means...

Do I need to worry about OS's matching? I suppose so, but not sure how to check or fix that if not. I read a few things about that but naturally am a bit lost. I'll keep digging...

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

When you read and/or re-flash your PCM the data is protected from accidental changes on many different levels. It is virtually impossible to have faulty/different data programmed into the PCM without causing an engine no start condition.

So if, after you re-flash your vehicle the engine fires and runs for more than about 1 minute then the data in the PCM is guaranteed.

There are a number of learned values that the PCM keeps stored in its volatile memory, such data is lost when you read or re-flash your PCM (or just remove/restore battery power to the PCM). That type of data includes the long and short term fuel trims and learned air flow adjustments. It can take a number of days and/or many miles of driving for those parameters to be re-learned correctly.

Adjusting the base/default values for that learned data will mean the values do not have to be learned very far from their original defaults, which means there will not be a large performance degradation (that needs to be learned out of the system) each time you read or re-flash the PCM.

As to which values need to be changed and by how much and in what direction is not something on which I can offer any useful advice.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Brilliant! Thanks Paul. I have at least a few ideas of defaults that perhaps need to be adjusted... My 0%pedal is corresponding to ~15%TPS. I guess I just need to figure out where to make these changes and go from there!

I've updated my FlashScan to FW:2.06.12 and 2.06.02, but I still can't do a full-flash with my 12579357 OS (it's grayed out). Does anyone have a stock file for a 2003 Trailblazer (LTZ, not extended cab though)?... I'm wondering if that's the problem with the lack of full-flash .

Thanks again guys for your quick help with this!!!

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

EFILive does not support full flashing for the 4.2 TB.

Since you've never done a full flash then doing one would not "restore" anything to stock because you won't have changed anything that a full flash would have changed in the first place.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast