Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a friends nice words to me..about tuning

point proven...its funny how many ppl act like they know everything and put others down b/c they think the are wrong and evertyhing the do is right....guess what...its you don't know jack REALITY. i will pay this guy no more mind that has TRIED to give me advice.

thanks yall...and yes when is a professional right? who the hell knows...then again he's a pro so he is always right! LOL

hope yall are having as much fun with this as i am
    01 T/A WS6 #4984 STOCK 342HP and 352TQ [/b]MODS:Too many to list, PM...funny rear mount.. father/son build.
    [Quote :ur car is sneezing!!!!]
    I KNOW KUNG FU.
    My STS build: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631954
    453HP 475TQ @6psi
    .....CAM'd, IC'd, and 7psi'd #'s coming.....

Lifetime Member

Default Re: a friends nice words to me..about tuning

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
    well i got home yesterday and saw an old friend that has a C3 denali in the 10's; a 00 corvette, and a turbo diesel. and has done other car work on other friends cars. Well i told him that I started doing my own tuning and I told him that I was currently dialing in my VE table and that I was in SD mode.

He then proceeds to tell me that all of that is a waste of time and that i don't even need to tune my car unless i do a cam and/or a head swap. He said that the car doesn't even use the VE table unless it can't normally operate in normal mode (not SD mode--stock mode..i think thats closed loop?) and that tuning the car in SD mode will have it surging after one track run and that it won't run right and that the car will want to return to closed loop (normal non-sd mode)

he put in a set of LPE heads and a .619 something cam in a ws6 and he said he at first over compensated and changed several tables and then the car ran like shit...then he paid for a professional tune and the comparison from stock to the pro tune was that one table was changed completely and the car ran fine ( i can't remember the exact table he said now) he said that I was wasting my time with Sd mode and dialing in the VE table.

And so i ask you from all that people have done....is this guy even close to being right b/c i have never trusted him??

Other than doing this SD tune and changing AFR I don't see what else you can do to tune a car...maybe change spark tables...but how much of a difference can that make....?? I think he is just nuts...so i walked away and said nice to see you..bye.....

someone please enlighten me on this.....cuz i think he is wrong

If he put a .619" lift cam with a near stock LSA in a WS6............maybe he did need minimal tuning - for WOT. Drag racing is WOT.....part throttle is a different bird.

I wish I'd known his info about the time I put a cam in my car. He could have saved me many hours of trial and error. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get it to idle correctly!!! :lol:

maybe it was a 619lift with 180 duration and a 122 ls lol
    "If you can leave a black mark on the pavement, from the exit of one corner to the braking point of the next one, you have enough horsepower."

He then proceeds to tell me that all of that is a waste of time and that i don't even need to tune my car unless i do a cam and/or a head swap.
    With some stock or lightly modified engines, there is little or nothing to be gained-- at wide open throttle-- from tuning ignition timiing because the stock calibrations are pretty aggressive. On the other hand, virtually all calibrations are overly rich at WOT, so leaning AFR slightly will often provide nice power gains. Any "professional" tuner should know this, and should also know that part throttle and idle calibrations (and a host of others) aren't always what they should be. That should give you a feel for "Mr. Wizard's" capabilities and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me
    What makes a professional a professional that is correct?
    I copied a tuned off a very very well known tuner who charges a arm and a leg to do a tune. All that was changed was the lower part of high octane spark table all to 30, PE was was off compared to the WB. Fast knock attack rate was zeroed out. I was like WTF

Lifetime Member

Default tuning a std engine, does it make a difference??

well worth doing mate.....not blowing my own horn here but I'm up to about 8 cars "professionally" tuned now and all my customers have been wrapped! All engine have had the usual bolt ons only with a std internal engine.
    Tuning achieves many things but the most interesting I hve noticed and all my customer have mentioned to me a week or so later, is that they are getting amazingly increased KM per tank of gas. 80km to 100km extra per tank of gas are common observations by my customers.
    Makes sense when you think about it though, ECU mapped to the engine requirements properly > achieves increased economy. Not to mention other benefits such as better drivability especially transient throttle response and extra torque when in 5th & 6th gears.
    I always remap the VE table, MAF table and spark table plus a few other tweaks and the results have been consistent so far. Still discovering new things though with each new car I tune....EFIlive is an awesome tool with huge scope!!

Mike

Lifetime Member

Std cars or just exh & filter I do Maf and spark table. So far it's working fine gets the LTF trims where they should be and gets commanded AFR within .2 of actual. Most of the cars I do are pig rich (5000ft) and want lots more timing.

Vary's from car to car but most I got is 40kw more.

Did a SD tune that had been done by another pro made another 20kw and the car actually idles and is much smoother and has amazing throttle response.

I do ALL my cars with a WB on the dyno and on the road.
    \"You Can Never Have Enough Horsepower\"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12