Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cable to DBW swap?

Default cable to DBW swap?

Hey Mike, so I'm thinking in the future here, but with your 24x setup, what all is required to swap to a drive by wire setup?

I'm thinking I'd need at least:
    DBW TB
    Pedal assembly
    TAC
    wiring stuff

am I missing something here? this will be with my '96 C1500 L31 in my sig. I'd love to use one of your TB's but it wouldn't work with my whipple setup, however a LS1 style DBW TB should bolt right up. I would be getting the wiring/harness from you though. I may be able to grab a '02 vette TB and pedal setup, and it looks like you have all the pigtails/harness equipment for that.

I'm also concerned how one would go about wiring up the TAC/PCM with the needed cruise control signals? I would think it wouldn't be too hard, I could probably just pull the signals going to the current cable driven cruize control module?
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Let's say your starting point is an engine already running with the 12200411 LS1 PCM with 24x reluctor. Converting to electronic throttle goes something like this...

- remove the three TPS wires from the PCM (or leave unplugged)
    - remove the four IAC wires from the PCM (or leave unplugged)
    - add the 16 way TAC connector (includes 6 wire TPS, 2 wire TB motor, ignition, ground, serial data to PCM, and cruise inputs)
    - mount electronic pedal
    - plug in TAC to pedal harness

Connecting Cruise Control for Corvette Automatic Transmission Calibration
    Cruise control is operated by the PURPLE brake switch wire, LT BLUE stop lamp wire, and three cruise control signal wires from the TAC module. The PURPLE brake switch wire must receive 12v ignition power when the brake pedal is not depressed. The LT BLUE stop lamp wire must receive 12v ignition power when the brake pedal is depressed only. The cruise control signal wires are expecting 12v ignition power for operation. The Cruise ON signal must always receive 12v when cruise is ON and no voltage when OFF. The Set/Coast and Accel/Resume signals are pulsed 12v for operation.

Connecting Cruise Control for 99-02 Truck Automatic Transmission Calibration
    See above.

Connecting Cruise Control for Corvette Manual Transmission Calibration
    Cruise control is operated by the GRAY clutch switch wire, LT BLUE stop lamp wire, and three cruise control signal wires from the TAC module. The GRAY clutch switch wire must receive 12v ignition power when the clutch pedal is not depressed. The LT BLUE stop lamp wire must receive 12v ignition power when the brake pedal is depressed only. The cruise control signal wires are expecting 12v ignition power for operation. The Cruise ON signal must always receive 12v when cruise is ON and no voltage when OFF. The Set/Coast and Accel/Resume signals are pulsed 12v for operation.

Connecting Cruise Control for 99-02 Truck Manual Transmission Calibration
    I'm not so sure that there was a truck application with manual transmission and electronic throttle (for the 512k PCM, 99-02).

ATTENTION VORTEC INTAKE MANIFOLD USERS
    Save some cash by using the truck equipment (for example 2002 6.0L Cadillac Escalade). The Corvette equipment new is significantly more expensive than purchasing the truck equipment. The Vortec manifold will accept either throttle body.

Here are the LS1/Vortec type electronic throttle bodies. The one on the top is 99-02 truck and the one on the bottom is the LS1/LS6 Corvette.

What's the difference? The truck throttle body is intended to be used with the 99-02 truck Throttle Actuator Control module (TAC) and truck pedal. This equipment avoids the "Corvette" surcharge and costs about $300 less than the Corvette TAC and pedal. The truck TAC and Corvette TAC look identical, but they're internally a little different.

24x LS1 PCM on Early Small-Block Chevy and LT1/LT4
    http://www.eficonnection.com

Someone is going to ask, "The 2003 and newer TAC modules are plentiful in the wrecking yards. Will they work with the 12200411 LS1 PCM?".

No, I don't think so. These modules are used with the same pedal truck pedal assembly, but with different PCM (1mb) and different throttle body.

Unfortunately the 99-02 truck TAC modules are difficult to find used.

Someone may also ask, "Since the truck ETC equipment is less expensive, why are the electronic TPI/LT1 throttle bodies using Corvette equipment?"

Several reasons...
    - much of the CNC work was already available for the Corvette ETC
    - for LT1 applications, the Camaro/Firebird alternator will clear the Corvette TB configuration (TB motor on bank 1 side), but the LT1 Corvette alternator has a clearance issue with the motor. I forsee more Camaro/Firebird LT1 accessory configurations than LT1 Corvette accessory configurations.
    - the Corvette throttle body cores are easier to come by

Lots of very good information here!
    Thanks...
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Thanks Mike, I'm looking into an ETC swap but it wouldn't be for a while, just trying to get a good understanding of it for the future. I'm still working at completing the 24x swap (along with some other upgrades), but it should be done this week.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Great information!

Here's a question...since the '99-'02 DBW stuff is so hard to come by; I've got a DBW harness from an '02 Denali...but I don't yet have a computer or TB/TAC/Pedal.

What computer and DBW components are the most economical and plentiful to acquire?

TIA!!

Tipsy

Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    Great information!

Here's a question...since the '99-'02 DBW stuff is so hard to come by; I've got a DBW harness from an '02 Denali...but I don't yet have a computer or TB/TAC/Pedal.

What computer and DBW components are the most economical and plentiful to acquire?

TIA!!

Tipsy
    I can offer you the following to go along with your 2002 Denali harness...
    - used 99-02 truck TAC for $100.00
    - used 99-02 truck throttle body for $75.00

You'll still need a truck pedal assembly (these should be all over the wrecking yards).

Your other option is to rework the 2002 harness, get a 2003-newer PCM, a 2003-newer TAC module, and 2003-newer throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by S10Wildside View Post
    I can offer you the following to go along with your 2002 Denali harness...
    - used 99-02 truck TAC for $100.00
    - used 99-02 truck throttle body for $75.00

You'll still need a truck pedal assembly (these should be all over the wrecking yards).

Your other option is to rework the 2002 harness, get a 2003-newer PCM, a 2003-newer TAC module, and 2003-newer throttle body.
    Thanks...not quite ready to collect more parts. Just trying to get educated.

I plan to rework the harness myself. Any input on what needs to be modified on the '02 harness to make it compatible with the '03+ PCM and components?

Tipsy

Hey on a side note, if anyone would like to do the 2003 - 2007 8 pin 1 connector throttle body, using the 1mb computer, I have the harness to go between the ECM, TAC module and the Throttle body, $99.
    It comes with the pins labeled to be put into the PCM connectors and a power and ground ring.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast