Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 98 s-10 os file

Lifetime Member

So you have a 7x crank reluctor? The 02-05 4.2L I6 motors do as well, but dont use their PCM as its basically a 4cyl PCM modded to run 6 cylinders and exhaust cam VVT. Id recommend using an 04-06 P12 PCM, run a Colorado I4 OS. At least then you can manipulate the tuning easier than with a 4cyl PCM. You have to use a V2 to tune them however.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    Hi this is my first post and I dont mean to hijack, but I also have a 98 S10 with the 2.2. I have a turbo on mine and have never been able to tune it for boost. So im forced to use an fmu with 24lb injectors, stock is 19lbs I think. I just threw the 24pounders in and it runs ok for no tune. But the ecm is always tryin to pull fuel, not a real lot but enough. I know im leavin alot on the table.Its frustrating. Turbo bu, great thinking im going to try to find the info on the speed timing wheels. Do you think this could really work if they are the same or close? This forum is great ive read so much on here in the last month. Those guys are great in the vortec forum on this site. they are always lookin for people to help out. Sorry for the long post.
    slows10 - since it sounds like the speed timing wheels are noticable different (it would take considerable effort to get something to work), I was wondering if you had ever thought of doing a 2 bar MAP sensor hack on your existing ECM. From my reading / experience on LT1's (early flash PCM's), there never were any COS's for making them boosted. The work around that guys did was to throw in a 2 bar map sensor and scale everything else to make it work. Yes, very HACK, but effective none the less. This way you could still use EFILive to make changes to your tune and not have to monkey with FMU's.

Lifetime Member

Hi turbo bu , yes I have thought of doing the 2 bar setup a few times. Ive looked at different threads on some other forums and it seems like I could never really tell if it worked well for the guys that tried it. seems like people start the threads and never report back how they made out. So for instance on this setup 100 kpa would now be 50 kpa 80 to 40 etc.?Would the driveability suffer a bit with the tables split? So you have seen this work pretty well? I really would rather stay with the stock pcm so I dont have to rewire and all that. Im going to search a little more for a few decent threads that talk about it a little more. Thanks
    Last edited by slows10; May 7th, 2010 at 05:16 AM.

Lifetime Member

And also scarabepic your saying that the 04-06 p12pcm and the colorado I4 os would have better tables and more tuning parameters than my lame ecm has? If it does than maybe try the 2 bar map hack on that pcm. Might work out good. thanks P.S maybe start a new thread or is this one ok ?

Lifetime Member

And also scarabepic your saying that the 04-06 p12pcm and the colorado I4 os would have better tables and more tuning parameters than my lame ecm has? If it does than maybe try the 2 bar map hack on that pcm. Might work out good. thanks P.S maybe start a new thread or is this one ok ?
    Yes thats exactly what Im saying. I assume the firing order is the same, only thing would be the VVT stuff (Colorado I4 has it, dont think you do).

Unfortunately the P12 doesnt have a ton of available params, only the basics to get a mild tune done. You could probably 2Bar it and have a little better control simply because its a newer PCM with more resolution in each spark table.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Where can I go besides paying at alldata to find wiring pinouts on a couple of different year s10 trucks? Is there a general website or something that has this info? thanks, Keith

Lifetime Member

Man, I wish I was back at home, but the next time I take leave will be around the end of year holidays. I have all the GM diagrams for up to 2007, but you could ask on s10planet. Make sure you note that King_Ice_Flash sent you, and be sure to send some pics.
    E85 is NOT flex fuel.

2003 Chevy S10 4.3L LU3 LS1B Auto
    48 LB injectors
    Race Proven Motors 2114 intake
    T70 turbo.

Lifetime Member

Hi turbo bu , yes I have thought of doing the 2 bar setup a few times. Ive looked at different threads on some other forums and it seems like I could never really tell if it worked well for the guys that tried it. seems like people start the threads and never report back how they made out. So for instance on this setup 100 kpa would now be 50 kpa 80 to 40 etc.?Would the driveability suffer a bit with the tables split? So you have seen this work pretty well? I really would rather stay with the stock pcm so I dont have to rewire and all that. Im going to search a little more for a few decent threads that talk about it a little more. Thanks
    Yes, what you have said is what happens. All the MAP based tables basically get cut in half. You do give up some resolution, but what you gain back is the ability to control fuel and spark in the boosted section of your operating range. For setups that are not fully supported (like LT1's and your S10), this is a viable option which works. If your still interested, I can give you some of the basics.

Lifetime Member

yes very interested!! But let me give you my whole story in a nutshell. My brother and I both have s10's. Mine is the 98 2.2 5spd. His is a 1997 4.3 v6 vortec with the black box pcm. As you know mine is boosted. We are currently putting a turbo setup on his. So we have been looking for tuning solutions to both our trucks. For the past few months I have been looking at the other forum for solutions and info, but in all honesty I did not care for that forum and the way peoples questions were answered, they just did not do anything for me. So one day I was doing some searching and came across efi live and went to the vortec forum here and was really suprised at all the info that was here and the way people were helping each other. Then I clicked on lextech's thread about the 411 pcm conversion for the black box ecm. That did it for me because now we may have a solution to my brothers 4.3 tuning boost situation. Now I dont even have efi live yet but we are going to order it shortly.Im sure with some help from you guys we can get my 2.2 ecm workin for boost.Im going to post in the vortec forum soon. Now im no computer expert, im the mechanical guy. I know what an engine needs for fuel, timing etc. My brother is the computer whiz but lacks in the engine theory part of it.So together we can probably have alot of fun with our trucks and efi live. So maybe in a week or two when we get efi live you can go over some of the things I need to do for boost tuning. In the meantime I need to find some pinouts for my brthers truck and the 411 pcm. Ive got some other questions also but ill add them later tonight. Thanks alot for the help turbo bu. sorry for the long post but I wanted my situation told up front. Thanks Keith
    Last edited by slows10; May 10th, 2010 at 05:19 AM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    So you have a 7x crank reluctor? The 02-05 4.2L I6 motors do as well, but dont use their PCM as its basically a 4cyl PCM modded to run 6 cylinders and exhaust cam VVT. Id recommend using an 04-06 P12 PCM, run a Colorado I4 OS. At least then you can manipulate the tuning easier than with a 4cyl PCM. You have to use a V2 to tune them however.
    What about the cobalt supercharged pcm 05-07? Anyone know what reluctor wheel setup they have? Ive looked for about a half hour and cant find that info.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast