Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 98 s-10 os file

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    So you have a 7x crank reluctor? The 02-05 4.2L I6 motors do as well, but dont use their PCM as its basically a 4cyl PCM modded to run 6 cylinders and exhaust cam VVT. Id recommend using an 04-06 P12 PCM, run a Colorado I4 OS. At least then you can manipulate the tuning easier than with a 4cyl PCM. You have to use a V2 to tune them however.
    Scarab,

Do you happen to have copy of a P12 tune? I opened up a copy of my '99 2.2L tune and realized that it also appears to not be too boost friendly from the fueling side of things. The fuel maps are load vs. RPM and not kPa vs. RPM (think this is the similar downfall of the P10 PCM's). Hopefully, the P12's use MAP.

Lifetime Member

Yep the pcm im using which also came in the cavaliers as well as S10's are alpha-n setup. Rpm x Tps. So you really cant split the map table correct? Maybe the fake 2 bar setups ive read about were for another pcm and I got mixed up. But anyway is it possible to tune of the last map column? I mean after 105 kpa .maybe stick some numbers in there as the rpm goes up? Maybe the older cobalt ecm with the supercharger setup will work. Or I think chevy offered the supercharger setup on like 02 cavaliers with the LD9 engine as a kit. Thanks for the help

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by slows10 View Post
    What about the cobalt supercharged pcm 05-07? Anyone know what reluctor wheel setup they have? Ive looked for about a half hour and cant find that info.
    They use the P12 PCM Im talking about with a Cobalt SS/Ion Redline specific OS and Cal. Should be a 7x reluctor wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bu View Post
    Scarab,

Do you happen to have copy of a P12 tune? I opened up a copy of my '99 2.2L tune and realized that it also appears to not be too boost friendly from the fueling side of things. The fuel maps are load vs. RPM and not kPa vs. RPM (think this is the similar downfall of the P10 PCM's). Hopefully, the P12's use MAP.
    I have a few 06 4.2L I6 P12 tunes, no I4 Colorados I think. I might have 1 I5 Coly file, but they're on my external HDD (which I happened to leave in Spokane this week, be back there on friday).

This is exactly the problem, the VE table of the P10 is RPM vs Load % and spark tables are RPM vs MAP. Spark was easy to dial in, I still cant figure out the VE perfectly as the Load % PID EFILive has is worthless and gives bogus data.

Yep the pcm im using which also came in the cavaliers as well as S10's are alpha-n setup. Rpm x Tps. So you really cant split the map table correct? Maybe the fake 2 bar setups ive read about were for another pcm and I got mixed up. But anyway is it possible to tune of the last map column? I mean after 105 kpa .maybe stick some numbers in there as the rpm goes up? Maybe the older cobalt ecm with the supercharger setup will work. Or I think chevy offered the supercharger setup on like 02 cavaliers with the LD9 engine as a kit. Thanks for the help
    You could split the spark tables quite easily using a 2Bar MAP, but the side effect will be what happens to fueling?

For anyone considering using the 06 Cobalt SS s/c OS and cal, be warned it is for manuals only. There are no tables related to an auto trans in the OS period (from what some people and a few HPT guys have said). So if you have an auto and want to keep it, look at a Colorado I4 instead.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Erik before I get confused anymore lol, what do you think I should run. What do I need? First do I need to find the pinouts on the P12 pcm, then purchase a P12 pcm, then do I need to find someone who has a cobalt supercharged file? Thanks keith.
    Last edited by slows10; May 12th, 2010 at 11:57 AM.

Lifetime Member

Forgive me if I ask stupid questions. Just a newb to all this pcm swapping, but I think I can get it.

Lifetime Member

Erik before I get confused anymore lol, what do you think I should run. What do I need? First do I need to find the pinouts on the P12 pcm, then purchase a P12 pcm, then do I need to find someone who has a cobalt supercharged file? Thanks keith.
    I think a P12 PCM should work well for you. I have the pinouts for a P12 used in a TrailBlazer so they wont be of any use for you. Once you have the pinouts, buy the PCM connectors and swap the wires from your original PCM to the P12. Then buy a P12 (any 04-06 one will work, not an 07), get a 06 Cobalt SS S/C file and FULL flash it in your PCM. Make sure it runs, then start tuning.

Disclaimer: I dont know if this will work or not, Ive heard conflicting reports even within the TrailBlazer platform that GM switched BCMs and they use a different communication protocol than the older ones. So even if all the wiring matches up, I dont know if the BCM you have in your car will accept the P12 comm protocol.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Lifetime Member

Not really trying to make it any more confusing, but do we know what the reluctor wheel is for the old vortec (thinking like 1998 truck engines) setup? Thinking back to an option that would avoid all the BCM issues (or non-issues if this works). I did look at a copy of a '98 K1500 with a 350 .... it has both fuel and spark that are MAP vs. RPM.

Key would be that these engines have the 7X reluctor wheel setup.

Lifetime Member

The GMT400 trucks (96-2000) trucks and the 01-02 Express Vans with the 5.0 and 5.7 distributored engines use a 4x reluctor.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2WD, Internally stock 305 w/Twin T-3 junkyard Turbos,4L80e,Ramjet intake,42lb.inj., 0411PCM, COS3,4675LBS w/me in it. Best Time on 5 passes-13.01@110

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bu View Post
    Not really trying to make it any more confusing, but do we know what the reluctor wheel is for the old vortec (thinking like 1998 truck engines) setup? Thinking back to an option that would avoid all the BCM issues (or non-issues if this works). I did look at a copy of a '98 K1500 with a 350 .... it has both fuel and spark that are MAP vs. RPM.

Key would be that these engines have the 7X reluctor wheel setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lextech View Post
    The GMT400 trucks (96-2000) trucks and the 01-02 Express Vans with the 5.0 and 5.7 distributored engines use a 4x reluctor.

Jeff
    Honestly if you could get the black box PCM to work you should do an 0411 LS1 PCM swap then run an Express Van OS. But since they use a 4x reluctor, no dice. Plus its a V8 vs I4.

Im going to hold out hope that the P12 + I4 motor + Cobalt SS S/C OS/Cal is the ticket.
    ~Erik~

Lifetime Member

Im going to look for info on the 2.4 Ld9 engine that came in the cavaliers. I think GM offered the supercharger in kit form for these engines and you had to bring your car to the dealer to have the pcm reflashed for boost. Not sure if the Ld9 has a 7x reluctor or not. If this doesnt work, then Erik's suggestion will work provided the bcm in my truck will work with the p12 pcm. Erik, is the only way to find this out is to actually do the swap and see if it works or not? thanks Keith

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast