Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help understanding throttle cracker

Lifetime Member

Yep, the stall with the clutch pedal depressed is corrected precisely as The Alchemist states. Copy his thumbnail spark numbers into your high & low octane spark tables & you will see improvement.

I really appreciate your advise... so far I have not messed with the spark tables at all. Funny thing is just last night I was going over logs trying to figure out why my spark advance was bouncing between 20 and 29 degrees while sitting at idle. If I understand you correctly I don't use the base timing table since I have no MAF? It only uses the low octane table at idle? Does it matter if I am using a custom os to restore dual spark maps?

I am going to play with the spark tables before I do anything else next time I take the car out. Hopefully this is the missing piece I am looking for. Too bad it's raining today...

Lifetime Member

I believe you do use the base timing tables once the parameters are met even in SD.

Well the sun came out and the roads dried up so I made some changes and took the car out. Man what a difference! It still isn't perfect but it's the best that car has ever driven. It has always had good power, I just never knew what to expect when coming to a stop light. It didn't stall on me at all, and for the most part the idle was perfect. A couple times it hung up around 1400-1500 before idling down but that can be fixed pretty quickly. Thanks for the help guys I never would have figured that out on my own. I will keep playing with it but I'm sure I'm on the right path now.

Lifetime Member

If I understand you correctly I don't use the base timing table since I have no MAF? It only uses the low octane table at idle? Does it matter if I am using a custom os to restore dual spark maps?

Hi mate, pleased I could help
    To clarify : when in SD or mafless mode the ECU uses the low octane table exclusively during "driving". When at "idle" set by the 1.19tps and 6km/hr the ecu uses only the base timing table in gear (assuming its a manual) even when in neutral.
    Only in the autos does it use the base spark in gear when in gear and base spark out of gear when in neutral!
    Cheers again,

Mike
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Lifetime Member

[QUOTE=The Alchemist;102413]If I understand you correctly I don't use the base timing table since I have no MAF? It only uses the low octane table at idle? Does it matter if I am using a custom os to restore dual spark maps?

Hi mate, pleased I could help
    To clarify : when in SD or mafless mode the ECU uses the low octane table exclusively during "driving". When at "idle" set by the 1.19tps and 6km/hr the ecu uses only the base timing table in gear (assuming its a manual) even when in neutral.Only in the autos does it use the base spark in gear when in gear and base spark out of gear when in neutral!
    Cheers again,

You sure about that? The notes in the software indicate the base spark in neutral/park is used when the clutch pedal is depressed. My car fell through the bottom if I pushed the clutch pedal in, but settled in fine when I threw it in neutral and let the clutch pedal out.

Lifetime Member

Very sure
    If you open the software and look at the description in base spark in Park/Neutral it does not say "when clutch depressed" it says "when the throttle is closed" OR when in park/neutral ie: an auto trans. Trust me if its a manual you only need to worry about the base spark in gear. If it any doubt simply make them both the same with copy and paste

Mike

You sure about that? The notes in the software indicate the base spark in neutral/park is used when the clutch pedal is depressed. My car fell through the bottom if I pushed the clutch pedal in, but settled in fine when I threw it in neutral and let the clutch pedal out.[/QUOTE]
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Lifetime Member

If you raise b4349 to .0350 or .0390 you will get huge improvements when transitioning to idle and avoid stalls. You will have to scale everything else accordingly but it will HELP A LOT.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    If you raise b4349 to .0350 or .0390 you will get huge improvements when transitioning to idle and avoid stalls. You will have to scale everything else accordingly but it will HELP A LOT.
    I thought that was only for ETC cars?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Very sure
    If you open the software and look at the description in base spark in Park/Neutral it does not say "when clutch depressed" it says "when the throttle is closed" OR when in park/neutral ie: an auto trans. Trust me if its a manual you only need to worry about the base spark in gear. If it any doubt simply make them both the same with copy and paste

Mike

You sure about that? The notes in the software indicate the base spark in neutral/park is used when the clutch pedal is depressed. My car fell through the bottom if I pushed the clutch pedal in, but settled in fine when I threw it in neutral and let the clutch pedal out.
    [/QUOTE]

Ok. I had the notes from throttle cracker P/N in my head and made the dangerous leap that in any parameter for P/N the car is considered to be in neutral when the clutch is depressed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast