Thread: J2534 Compatibilty

Default J2534 Compatibilty

I am considering purchase of the FlashScan V2 Scan and Tune. I addition to TUNING my Silverado I would also like to be able to SCAN other makes of cars.

I am thinking about PCMSCAN to service other cars. Is the FlashScan compatible with the J2534 standard, or would I have to purchase another interface box to be able to use other programs?

Would it be possible to use the ScanXL J2534 interface or Mongoose with EFILive?

Thanks,
    Duane

Flashscan uses SAE J1850 VPW (V1 & V2)
    and GM CAN (GM-LAN) (V2)
    You can download the manual here

AutoTap is only device that I know of other than
    V1, V2 & Autocal that uses EFILive software.

I highly doubt any of those devices you mention will ever work w/EFILive software.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Thanks for the response. I'm new to all of this and it just seemed that if everyone used a standard interface that I wouldn't have to buy two. Aren't all auto manufacturers required to support the J2534 standard? Isn't it's sole purpose to allow third parties to re-flash ECMs? I've also read that for real time monitoring that it is able to receive PIDs many times faster. Don't mean to argue, just trying to understand.

Thanks again,
    Duane

Lifetime Member

EFILive uses proprietary hardware so you MUST have their hardware to use their software. HPT does the same thing, their hardware is not compatible with EFILive or anything else. Each company has built their interfaces to have certain features (like standalone flashing, reading, sensor in/outputs etc).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.