Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stock truck idle problems after flash..?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by samh_08 View Post
    My cousin has a 2003 chevy silverado 6.0L that I just registered and read his PCM. I didn't change anything related to idle (or so I think) and now it idles way to low in gear and wants to stall. I tried bumping up all desired idle speeds 125rpm but the truck doesn't respond to the changes. It will idle fine for 10 seconds at the speed I want it to idle, then it will drop off and start acting funny.

Another issue I have is that I get 'Reduced engine power' every time I reflash the computer. I clear the code and then its fine..Never had a problem with that code before EfiLive. Any ideas?

I have the stock and modded (should show everything I changed) file attached. Please advise, Thanks.
    Was it running/idling fine before you re-flashed?

Running fine and had a very slight idle drop problem. The flash just really magnified it. I disabled the a/c spark torque tables and that helped, along with adding a bunch of a/c compensation airflow. I also just flashed my 2000 silverado with one a/c related problem from the flash. I get a whole bunch of spark retarded from the a/c and it is quite noticeable under acceleration.

Why is there 2 a/c related problems with stock trucks with none of the a/c tables changed from stock? Is it some underlying issue that happens when these trucks are flashed with EFIlive?

Check to see if you have a dirty throttle body. If you reflash the computer it will reset any idle adaptive learning that the PCM has done and if the throttle body is dirty it will idle like crap.

The solution is to thoroughly clean the throttle body and then start the truck and let it run for a couple of minutes in neutral AC Off, then in gear AC off and repeat both steps with the AC on.The first time you try to restart it after cleaning the throttle body it may be difficult at first, but should start with a little pedal after a couple of tries. After that it should start up just fine and idle and run fine.

I would also recommend putting all of the idle tables that you have adjusted to 'fix' the problem back to stock before doing this.....
    2002 Chevy Truck

K&N Air Intake
    Dynatech Headers
    Noisy Lifters

Lifetime Member

And possibly the fuel trims were having a large effect before the flash, and now they have been reset.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123