Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e40 experts wanted, VE issue

Default e40 experts wanted, VE issue

I tuned a VZ Maloo today LS2 with e40 in SD. When I first went mafless in this car it ran 25% lean. This was with stock Open loop tables. I then configured the open loop tables so the pcm would always command 14.7 regardless of IVT or ECT. I did the base settings and began to build a VE table. I found the VE to have an irregular shape. So I looked into the other airflow tables and modified them only to find the other VE modifiers had no affect at all on the VE including the barometric tables . The only table to have affect was charge temperature blending. However still, this did nothing to help.

The VE has values of around 100 at cruise 60-70 idle area at 2800-3200 140%! 3600 140% WAY to rich it blends back to 80% then stays at 80-90% so the whole topend VE is less then low end!!!. I figured it was charge temp blending working off dyn.cylair so I altered it somewhat and then made it a flat 0.100 something I commonly do in the e38. It maxes at 150g/s and reads 1.00 there after meaning it works off ECT for blending but at lower rpm it reads less. What I have found in e38 is this changes the mixture by a factor and does so in the e40 but with the e38 works off SAE.MAF only so it basically doesn't work in SD and goes from the zero reading. Weather or not my flatlining of it has affected the outcome I am unsure but doubt it very much as it reads the same low and high so should change little.

The huge step in the VE has created a misfire at 3200 99kpa I have smoothed the ve off to help but still there slightly. The huge step looks very abnormal and shows something wrong in VE calculations. If the dyn cyl.air is working in place of SAE MAF with charge temp blending then the sudden increase to 1.00 factor may explain something but the jump in VE is over 60%! these errors cannot be fudged with other tables also the need to reduce ve down low and have it highest at peak torque where it should be.

Is there a need to go to a 2 bar COS to fix this bug? as I have looked at all other options to "fudge" the huge error in the VE with no outcome other then charge temp blending which is just for minor IAT ECT blending not for correcting major errors.

cheers

Lifetime Member

you sure your IFR table isnt completely insane? that would do it easily. Also, I dont know about austrialian models, but all the E40s i've seen have their VE tables in GMVE, not the plain old VE percentages.

good point could easily be an ifr issue i will work on those , but i will also post the tune so ppl can see the crazy ve.

thanks for your advice

Post the tune up Joel. Would love to take a look. I havent personally had this problem

Jez

OK I think the issue is to do with the B2001 or B2002 tables Dynamic Air mode max and Dynamic air mode min. Which turns SD on or off basically. When mafless in e38 it doesn't matter what these are set to but with the e40 if I set them to 100 the car will not start. Standard they are around 3200 right where the VE drops off! If I set them to 8000 it doesn't make a difference although I know they are having effect as setting them to 100 doesn't allow the engine t run. As you can see from the VE there is a crazy drop off at around 3000 at this time the pcm is trying to obviously changing some kind of mode casuing a hiccup then drastically altering VE at these values. 100% VE at cruise and then 80 up top, what is going on!

I spoke to swingtan and he agreed there may have been a lack of "fine tuning' with the e40. So far other then the one above I have found two issues at least with this OS. The IVT is all screwed up it actually reads negatives when the engine is warmed up. and positives when cold so this needs work. Also in the injector IAT table B1213 it is meant to use IAT and is labled so but it's link is SAE.ECT?

The above issue with Dynamic cyl air is still present and the pcm is looking elsewhere above 3200 rpm as I have dropped the VE by over 50% so the car commands the correct pulse width above that rpm. I don't know where its looking but I have gone around in circles looking at all the VE modifiers(another thing I should mention is none of these tables under airflow actually work apart from charge temp! not even baro tables). So basically I have gutted the tune inside out and aslo applied the cos. But the Main VE error is an obvious one as this table works just it looks elsewhere for somekind of correction, and before I do anything else with it anyone feel free for suggestions. As I have tried the obviously and simple ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ve e40.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	6043  
    Attached Files Attached Files

That table looks nice.

Have you checked fuel pressure to make sure that isnt messing you around?
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ringram View Post
    That table looks nice.

Have you checked fuel pressure to make sure that isnt messing you around?
    yup, that's what i was just thinking. also everything that affects the fuel pressure, like voltage at the pump.

hey guys, thankyou very much for your replies I am taking all this info on board for further testing. fuel pressure is OK. I would like to mention that with the MAF plugged in the issue is non existant. I will go through the logs(will post one) the error is not fuel pump, but the injector pulse width, it goes from 12 back to 8 then back to 12 in a split second. Which causes the hiccup. I have a HPT cable aswell so I will try that to reduce the variables. I don't think the VE looks right personally. It wont look like a LS1 table as the map and rpm columns are ass about but to have peak VE at 3000 then max torque at 4500 where VE is lowest doesn't seam right. If the fuel pressure is an issue it could cause abnormalities in VE and I will double check this as your helpful advice suggests. Basically I am trying to gather as much info and suggestions as I can before starting again with the car and I am hoping to fix it with efilive before going to my HPT cable, In which that scenario I will full flash the factory tune in with efi then pull it out and start again with HPT. Purely only for diagnosis and a suggestion. I hope it is a silly error on my behalf and not a major issue. Will post a log tomorrow, so you can see what is happening.

Cheers

Joel

sorry to add this efi fans but just some hindsight on this matter. This is a friends SD tune in a GTO. and it shows zone limits. These are adjustable in e38 I am unsure if its the cause but changing this changes the shape of the ve drastically. It is limited to 3000rpm by this table in HPT, this isnt available to change with efilive so I will use HPT to test, the tune works great in this car(the GTO) and its untouched but still could be a problem with the car I am working on. You can see the normal looking VE and the table next to it which I would like to alter. Hopefully by using both programs I can find the cause which will inevitably help others if they get stuck like me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPT tables.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	6045  

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

You can adjust the RPM and MAP zones in EFILive.
    B8020 thru B8023
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast