Thread: Contact Dealer

Default Contact Dealer

If I plug my V2 in a 09 G8GT (E38) while the cars running it flashes contact dealer. Has anyone seen this?

anyone?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Yes, we've seen this. Try turning on the ignition, waiting for the pre-check to complete (about 5-10 seconds), then plugging in FlashScan.

If/when you do get that message (and others such as ABS fault), it can take up a few minutes of ignition off time to clear it.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

It does this while the cra is running. For instance we were driving and I got out my laptop and V2 and plugged in to do some scanning and it flashed contact dealer and kicks off cruise control. It then goes back to normal.

A fix to address this problem should be available in the next firmware update, version 2.06.15 or later.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks for looking into it and fixing it. Another great example of EFI's great customer service!!!!

I still get contact dealer if I plug into my G8 with it running.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    I still get contact dealer if I plug into my G8 with it running.
    Does that happen if you connect the OBDII cable to FlashScan first and then plug the OBDDI connector into the vehicle second?

We can reproduce a similar fault when connecting the OBDII cable to FlashScan after the cable is already connected to the vehicle. The fault may happen when the RJ45 cable is inserted at a certain angle which may momentarily contact the power pin before the ground pin contacts. That in turn causes the CAN transceiver in FlashScan to interrupt the normal operation of the CAN bus. That appears as a CAN fault to the vehicle and so the vehicle shows "contact dealer" along with a bunch of other "module errors".

The OBDII connector/plug has specifically been designed to be hot-plugged with the ground pins longer than the rest of the pins to ensure ground is contacted first. so if you are connecting/disconnecting FlashScan while the ignition is switched on, use the OBDII connector end of the cable not the RJ45 connector end.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Does that happen if you connect the OBDII cable to FlashScan first and then plug the OBDDI connector into the vehicle second?

We can reproduce a similar fault when connecting the OBDII cable to FlashScan after the cable is already connected to the vehicle. The fault may happen when the RJ45 cable is inserted at a certain angle which may momentarily contact the power pin before the ground pin contacts. That in turn causes the CAN transceiver in FlashScan to interrupt the normal operation of the CAN bus. That appears as a CAN fault to the vehicle and so the vehicle shows "contact dealer" along with a bunch of other "module errors".

The OBDII connector/plug has specifically been designed to be hot-plugged with the ground pins longer than the rest of the pins to ensure ground is contacted first. so if you are connecting/disconnecting FlashScan while the ignition is switched on, use the OBDII connector end of the cable not the RJ45 connector end.

Regards
    Paul
    I get it the fault when plugging the OBDII connector in last. I usually have my V2 plugged into the laptop and then plug the ODBII plug into the car. I will pay attention next time Im in the car just to double check.