Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 Fried PCMs?

Third times a charm! worked great with the 1.5A plug. As a suggestion for EFI LIVE....to protect against the morons out there (like me), I suggest adding a function where the power source is tested...put it in as part of the test function. I don't know if that's possible with what the flashscan is capable of, but it would be handy. Or if there is a process that can be induced in the pcm itself that draws nearly the power necessary for a reflash, then if the connection was lost during that process you could infer that the reflash would also fail.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

That's a very wise suggestion and we're discussing that here at EFILive.
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Default Where we live we just had 10 power outages.

Boy do I have a real problem. I was in the middle of putting several COS (10 all at different times) on customers PCMs "a full bench reflash of course". Now I have no licenses left and need 10 new ones to finish the jobs Paul as well as the PCMs are fried. Those darn power outages! Just kidding of course! but it is a very good idea to confirm the power as reliable so I just learned.
    I am truly sorry that it took 2 fried PCMs but I sure learned a valuable lesson and it is very cool that EFILive replaced the licenses and was more than helpful.
    I will be sure not to make that mistake so thank you guys and I am sorry about the fried PCMs. Sometimes good does come out of bad.
    Take care be well and thanks for the lesson, I wont forget that one now as we really do have allot of power outages. Sunday we had one for 8 hours.
    Regards,
    98 tigershark

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    That's a very wise suggestion and we're discussing that here at EFILive.
    Regards
    Paul
    98 tigershark
    L92/427 w/L76 CC'ed heads n upgraded springs
    4.100 stroke, 4.068 bore w/ 11:1 comp
    Cam, 591 int, 613exhst, 232-246dur@.050, 115*
    LG headers, High flow cats,
    RPM level 5 trans, RPM 3.42 gears, 2800 rpm trq convrt. .
    Special Thanx to Joe and Bruce!

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Guess I'm spoiled here, Andrew installed a couple of UPS's that provide battery power for all our development and office PC's for up to 15 minutes if/when the power goes out (and it does). Its already saved me hours of redoing lost work. Although it is kind of spooky when all the lights go out and the PC are all still happily running as if nothing had happened.

I highly recommend getting one, I don't know how I survived without it before.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Good idea Paul.
    I have the same setup here at work. Myself and the other sparky have our own UPS's hooked up to our PC's.
    It's quite interesting to note how many 'brown outs' you can have and not actually notice them. The only tell tale being the occasional 'click-clack' of the UPS cycling.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

Lifetime Member

I agree, I ran a UPS at home in Seattle on my desktop PC. Its a dinky little unit, basically lets me stop immediately, save and shut down my PC before the battery dies (its a 500w+ PC though). As of now Im 100% laptop so power outages dont effect me too much, except when that 3hrs expires! But the internet dies immediately so...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I agree, I ran a UPS at home in Seattle on my desktop PC. Its a dinky little unit, basically lets me stop immediately, save and shut down my PC before the battery dies (its a 500w+ PC though). As of now Im 100% laptop so power outages dont effect me too much, except when that 3hrs expires! But the internet dies immediately so...
    I'm the same as you but I have mobile broadband, so I don't lose the internet either!
    Dave.

Default I just had a power outage for 15 minutes, no joke

I was just typing to this post when I had a power outage. Really!
    I just got DSL a little over a week ago and just canceled my dial up. Oh well.
    Anyway, when I put the newer PCM (99-02) into my vette this winter can I do that in the car after the install and or do I always have to remove it for a COS or a reflash. Does my car have enough power to complete the task? I have Commercial scan and tune and do I then need another license? Just planning ahead.
    98 tigershark
    98 tigershark
    L92/427 w/L76 CC'ed heads n upgraded springs
    4.100 stroke, 4.068 bore w/ 11:1 comp
    Cam, 591 int, 613exhst, 232-246dur@.050, 115*
    LG headers, High flow cats,
    RPM level 5 trans, RPM 3.42 gears, 2800 rpm trq convrt. .
    Special Thanx to Joe and Bruce!

Lifetime Member

As long as your battery is fully charged you shouldnt have any issues doing a full flash then a cal flash before starting it. I would recommend using a battery tender like another member suggested but I have full flashed my E67 and T42 using only battery power back to back and the E67 flash takes like 4+mins as its 2MB not 512kb or 1MB.

You will use another license with the new PCM as it is a different PCM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123