Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning MAF vs VVE

Default Tuning MAF vs VVE

I have read about and know of alot shops, many of which use the other software tuning the maf vs vve. They are diabling the vve and running off the maf and tuning it only. What is everyones take on that?

I worked on my VVE, tuned it, then disabled the VVE, then focused on MAF, but I liked how responsive and crisp my truck felt in OL-MAF (w/ VVE disabled) that I've been running with the VVE disabled for the past two weeks... OL-MAF VVE Disabled
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

I keep hearing the same thing. Whats the best way to disable the VVE? Will my AFM still work? I am going to try it on my G8GT this week and see how it does.
    Last edited by minytrker; August 24th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.

You can disable all DynAir calculations (including VVE) by setting the min RPM threshold for MAF operation to something below idle. The stock value is typically ~4000rpm, and I move it to ~400rpm when tuning the MAF exclusively. If you want to leave it as a MAF-only tune, just don't return the threshold to stock when you're done tuning the MAF transfer function.

There's no reason the car shouldn't run OK like this. Plenty of Fords and other vehicles are (almost) exclusively MAF-based systems. You're just losing the potential dynamic accuracy of a properly tuned DynAir calculation during transients that can improve emissions and driveability.

Of course, bad data is worse than no data; so running only on a properly tuned MAF curve usually drives better than a proper MAF curve plus a bad VVE estimate. Ideally, you would just tune both the MAF and VVE to make everything right.
    ~Greg
    Calibrated Success - EFI Training and Tuning Done Right
    GM Beginner's Guide DVD available now through Summit!
    Engine Management: Advanced Tuning - Amazon's best deal for the EFI crowd.

I looked quickly but did not see any tables like you were talking about. What tables do I need to adjust to run CL MAF only vs VVE CL?

minytrker,
    What is it you want to do? To disable VVE go to {B8024} set it to 400 RPM & set table {B8025} to 10 RPM, that should disable VVE...
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    minytrker,
    What is it you want to do? To disable VVE go to {B8024} set it to 400 RPM & set table {B8025} to 10 RPM, that should disable VVE...
    Thanks,

Thats what I changed but I havent went and tried yet. I just wanted to make sure I had it correct.

Lifetime Member

I have been doing this for a long time now... it's a bit of an issue with bigger cams but it runs quite well actually.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

The Aussies are reading this saying "What the?". MAF's are one of the first things to be put in the bin out here. I don't know if it's mindset from the LS1 days or the end results are better, I'm not really in any position to judge that because I don't own a dyno or drive a GenIV.
    I understand the problem in the US running MAF-less is you always drive around with a DTC set, out here there is no regular checks for such things by the authorities.

I think AFM is disabled when you go MAF-less, though I am not 100% sure on that, if so then applying patch B9901 & B9902 should fix that (they need to be renamed, they are more than TCS patches).

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Nice Ross... I wonder if you will ever release a patch to upgrade the MAF limits.

Thanks
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast