Thread: spark table?

Default spark table?

What are you using for a spark table high octane? The stock one shows no KR and I suspect I could use more advance. Where to start and finsh in increasing timing?
    If someone has a good one I would love to see it.
    Regards,
    Bruce
    meltn@new.rr.com

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

I blended in an additional 2~2.5 degrees to the WOT portion of the stock table starting around 4,000 rpms. Seems to work well for mine, but every car is different.

Lifetime Member

What works for me at my altitude is plus 4 degrees across the whole high octane and low octane maps.
    This usually leads to about 2 degrees worth of knock at 1600 and under so I use a KR map to remove that amount of timing at those points.

If the car has heads cam and exhaust I can go up to 6 degrees.

Just did a stock 2005 ute today and the customers reaction?

"F^&k its got balls and its so smooth".

20kw extra on the wheels and throttle response to match
    \"You Can Never Have Enough Horsepower\"

Thanks guys.
    So is it generally true that LS engines like as much timing as they can get across the band, up to point of pinging? Therefore, dialing in increased advance (carefully) and trimming it back where knock occurs is an acceptable method of exploring the max range?
    (at my own risk, of course)

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Melton
    Thanks guys.
    So is it generally true that LS engines like as much timing as they can get across the band, up to point of pinging? Therefore, dialing in increased advance (carefully) and trimming it back where knock occurs is an acceptable method of exploring the max range?
    That's one method. Some people have seen dyno time that would say otherwise. 28* advance at the top of their dyno run yielded no more power than 26.5* on their car. Other's can advance into the low 30's and see no knock retard. That doesn't mean it's making more power. Only a dyno will truly tell you that or a day at the track. It really depends on the year (different characteristics between the motors w/ different injectors, intakes, head castings, cams, etc.). But, that's just my $.02 .

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Melton
    Thanks guys.
    That's one method. Some people have seen dyno time that would say otherwise. 28* advance at the top of their dyno run yielded no more power than 26.5* on their car. Other's can advance into the low 30's and see no knock retard. That doesn't mean it's making more power. Only a dyno will truly tell you that or a day at the track. It really depends on the year (different characteristics between the motors w/ different injectors, intakes, head castings, cams, etc.). But, that's just my $.02 .
    He hit the nail on the head. Just because the car may take 28* doesn't mean it will make more power. Only way to truely tell is with a loaded dyno trying different combinations. Same goes with the timing for peak torque.

Lifetime Member

On my dyno more timing up to plus 4 degrees makes more power on a relatively stock car and improves the throttle response enormously.

Like I said this is at 5000ft and who knows what Chev SA requested as far as the map goes.
    \"You Can Never Have Enough Horsepower\"