Thread: download which?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default download which?

The AutoVE Tutorial recommends upgrading to a 2001 or later OS.
    In downloads, we have Custom cal, custom tun, stock cal for all years, or go to Stealthv for a stock C5 2001 or later OS.
    I have a 99 C5 and I want to update my PCM to a 2001 or later, how about a simple explanation on all these choices.
    This would make a nice sticky.

Thanks, Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

Lifetime Member

Default Re: download which?

Quote Originally Posted by curtbriggs
    The AutoVE Tutorial recommends upgrading to a 2001 or later OS.
    In downloads, we have Custom cal, custom tun, stock cal for all years, or go to Stealthv for a stock C5 2001 or later OS.
    I have a 99 C5 and I want to update my PCM to a 2001 or later, how about a simple explanation on all these choices.
    This would make a nice sticky.

Thanks, Curt
    There is a Sticky - -> http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1666

Cheers,
    joel

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Just pick any 2001 custom OS - it doesn't matter.

The only time you need to be prudent on which custom OS you choose is when you are upgrading from a matching GM OS. That way you can reflash your existing calibration back into the custom OS.

If you are upgrading from 99/00 to 01/02 then you will not be able to bring your current calibrations from the 99/00 OS into the newer 01/02 custom OS, so it makes no difference which one you pick.

You could try and study which GM operating system would be best for your application (i.e. which one had the field updates applied that you want/need) and use the EFILive custom OS that matches that GM OS. However, unless you have access to that info you may not even be able to make that sort a decsion.

I guess the other option is to check if you have access to a vehicle with a similar engine setup as yours that is already running an 01/02 GM OS and then upgrade to the custom OS that matches that vehicle's GM OS. At least then you could use the calibrations from that vehicle as a base for your upgraded custom OS.

Note: there is one restriction, you can't upgrade a 512K PCM to use a 1Mb operating system - it just doesn't fit

Your main choice is, which of the three versions of custom operating systems do you want to use?
    01: Speed density
    02: Speed density and valet
    03: Speed density and valet and 2/3 bar boost.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Paul, this answers the questions that were left on the table. Thanks for taking the time to understand my questions and reply with the missing information.

Thanks, Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.