Thread: Tune for my 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3L?

Default Tune for my 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3L?

Just wondering which tune in the repository would be compatible with my 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3L Extended Cab Short Bed with bolt on mods. I only found a 2001 Sierra with a 5.3L, but it was regular cab, and a 2005 Sierra with 5.3L. Oh and do you guys think it is necessary to have a wideband with only bolt-ons such as: Long tubes, Y-pipe, single magnaflow, K&N FPIK, Ram Air, Throttle Body Bypass, Ported Throttle Body. Oh and will a wideband hook up to a V1?
    Thanks

You 100% need a wideband for a good tune on your truck with those mods. A wideband will hook up to the v1 with the analog plugs (little orange plugs) that plug in to the v1.

Also I wouldnt just download a tune and throw it into your truck. Start with your stock tune and build off it. I would start off with the auto ve process and go from there.

I'm buying either the V1 or V2 tomorrow, if I will only be tuning this truck the V1 can do just a good a job as the V2 correct? It can manipulate all the same things just doesn't have all the fancy perks and the liscensing of the V2 right?

Basically should I buy the V1 and a Wideband O2 and controller?
    or
    should I just buy the V2 and forget the Wideband?
    or
    Is the V2 that much better that I should scrape together funds and buy a wideband and the V2?
    Keep in mind I'm not starting a business of this, I'm probably tuning only this truck at this time.
    Last edited by LM7Tuner; September 7th, 2009 at 01:16 PM.

The only major advantage of the V2 over V1 in your application is the serial input for the wideband, progammability of the analog inputs for offsets and the ability of storing longer logs. Once the stand alone reading & flashing comes out of testing this will also be worthwhile, but not a necessity.
    Last edited by 5.7ute; September 7th, 2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: V1 & V2 wrong way round
    The Tremor at AIR

But I can still hook up a wideband and I can tune all aspects of my truck with the credits provided with V1 correct? Since I only need two credits to tune the whole vehicle right?
    Last edited by LM7Tuner; September 8th, 2009 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LM7Tuner View Post
    But I can still hook up a wideband and I can tune all aspects of my truck with the credits provided with V1 correct? Since I only need two credits to tune the whole vehicle right?
    Yes, that is correct, you connect the wideband's analog output to V1's analog input.

No, you need just one license to flash the PCM on your 2003 GMC Sierra (PCM controls engine + transmission)...

V1 comes with two licences, so you will have a spare.

I find that for black box logging, the V1 is much more compact than V2... there are times when bells/whistles get in the way.

Smile

K thanks you've made my decision a lot simpler! I'll just get the V1 for now since I'll only be tuning my truck.