Thread: 4L80e converter lockup fix when letting off throttle?

Default 4L80e converter lockup fix when letting off throttle?

I just read on another forum it is a normal thing with 80e that when you let off the throttle the converter unlocks, is there a way to fix this? The converter locks up great and holds fine till I let off.

I not 100% sure, but it seems the 4L80E control algorithm (for want of a better name) does this, whereas the 4L60E one does not.

Lifetime Member

Well for car 4L60Es this can be changed to not unlock the converter when off the throttle, truck 4L60Es unlock the converter regardless of settings. Solution? Run a car OS in the TCM (if you have 2 modules).

For the 4L80E, not sure if you can do it as Im not aware of any car that used it. Wonder if anyone has found the area in the hex code to maybe make a .cax to enable/disable this (and would be great for LS1 cars too).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Well for car 4L60Es this can be changed to not unlock the converter when off the throttle...
    Erik, do you mean with the apply/release tables D1001-6, or is there another table...?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Erik, do you mean with the apply/release tables D1001-6, or is there another table...?
    Im honestly not sure Joe, Ive just heard that car OSs leave the converter locked (or can be setup properly to) while if the same tables in a truck OS dont keep it locked with 0 TPS. I know for the TBSS the stock TCM OS unlocks the converter but if you run a GTO OS in the TCM it keeps it locked.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for the replys guys, a guy on another forum said he got the 4l60e tune to work with the 80e without the segment swap and he said also that it does not unlock with the 4l60e tune. But idk if Id do it that way lol. The cax file would be a great idea!

Yes, tables D1001-6. Even when commanding it to lockup below 5% throttle, it still unlocks in the 80E cal.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyguy7802 View Post
    Thanks for the replys guys, a guy on another forum said he got the 4l60e tune to work with the 80e without the segment swap and he said also that it does not unlock with the 4l60e tune. But idk if Id do it that way lol. The cax file would be a great idea!
    Yeah I'm the one who got my 80E to run on the 60E cal. Works great (is more useful for 98 Cals, LT1 cars, GTOs, etc.). My car was just the mule.

Quote Originally Posted by slow67 View Post
    Yeah I'm the one who got my 80E to run on the 60E cal. Works great (is more useful for 98 Cals, LT1 cars, GTOs, etc.). My car was just the mule.
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/automa...-required.html

I saw that, good job, clever...

Did the PCM throw any codes for missing 3-2 solenoid and missing TCC Enable solenoid...?
    Last edited by joecar; December 18th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

I saw that, good job, clever...

Did the PCM throw any codes for missing 3-2 solenoid and missing TCC Enable solenoid...?
    It certainly did. It also eventually threw a code for transmission component slipping, because I don't have access to the gear ratios (when the TCC is locked up, and I don't have EFILive yet). I fixed that code, but I may end up upping the minimum diagnostic temp for P1870 to something above 250*.