Thread: Discrepancy between commanded timing and actual

Default Discrepancy between commanded timing and actual

So, I've been fighting knock issues forever. I put a whole new intake on, and today just replaced the knock sensors and wires (old ones were corroded). Engine is a 10.6:1 LQ9 with stock cam. I am 99% sure this is false knock but I have no clue why its doing it. At WOT it went to 7+ degrees of timing and there was no change in noise or anything from the engine. I never hear any knock. I also noticed that if you have my tune and log open at the same time with the high octane table open the values don't correspond. For example it does 23.5 degrees of timing whereas I have 20 listed in the table. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You are probably never going to get 'exactly' the same timing value as your main maps.
    There might be some interpolation going on between the low / high octane maps depending on knock activity. There is also temp modifiers based on coolant, intake, too many tables to just look at the high octane map alone.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Okay guys I just did some experimentation.

My base tune is a slightly tweaked stock 02 LQ4 tune. The timing tables are stock. I took a high octane table from an 02 Z06 and pasted that in. Then I pasted in the low octane LQ4 table into the high octane table.

I tried the Z06 tune first, the truck pulled much harder in 2nd. Guys it took 27.5 degrees of timing with no knock. 1 time it went up to 2.5 degrees of knock. In 3rd of the highway it eventually spiked up to 8 degrees of KR I believe.

I then tried the low octane table tune and it knocked 8 degrees of KR in 2nd gear with only 22.5 degrees of timing.

This really makes no sense whatsoever. Sometimes it gets KR sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't get KR with 27.5 degrees of timing, but does on 22.5. But one both tunes I was eventually able to get 8 degrees of KR.

wtf is going on.
    Attached Files Attached Files