Thread: no experience tuning & want to tune my car. lots of questions!

Default no experience tuning & want to tune my car. lots of questions!

i'm pretty new to EFILive & really know nothing about it. i have Flashscan V2 and want to make my own tune for the car. i also have a LC-1 & the cable that TAQuickness sells & hope to install it this week sometime. i had a dyno tune done on the car, by a guy who is supposed to be a reputable tuner but it was less than stellar, so Doc at EFI Alchemy hooked me up with a mail-order that i successfully loaded into the car. while his tune is a lot better than what i originally had, i know i need to start messing with it to get it dialed in.

where do i start with all of this? should i start with a stock 02 Trans Am tune & go from there or should i use what Doc gave me as a base tune & start with it? do i want to go speed density or use the MAF? which is easier to tune for a newbie? what all do i want to log & under what driving situations? i'm just kind of overwhelmed with everything & i know that the only way to learn is to do it. i feel that once i get going with this, i'll catch on rather quick but i just need some guidance. my car is a 02 Trans Am with all the bolt-ons, 30# Ford Racing injectors, Texas Speed Magic Stick 4, etc. it still has stock #241 heads & LS6 intake on it. i also have a wet plate nitrous kit for the car that i removed temporarily, until i could get a spray friendly tune for the car. the most i plan on spraying when i put it back on is a 150 shot. can you guys point me in the direction i need to go to learn how to do this?

First thing you need to do is post your tune so people can have a look for any obvious issues.
    Go through the AutoVE tutorial...and just read it....a couple of times.
    You will see in there a list of PID's to log.
    Start just logging and get used to what looks 'normal'.
    Then...ask questions..LOTS of questions.
    Don't be surprised if you don't get immediate answers...most guys on here have 'day' jobs and this is just a hobby.
    Use the search button ALOT.
    I find typing in the number of the table (eg. B3647) in the search engine will give some good reading and quite often you'll find your questions have already been answered.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

Good advice Howard.
    One thing though BadLSX, I would be first checking with Doc that it is O.K. to post his Base tune on here.
    The Tremor at AIR

More info that may become useful: showthread.php?t=2990

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7ute View Post
    Good advice Howard.
    One thing though BadLSX, I would be first checking with Doc that it is O.K. to post his Base tune on here.
    i'd rather not post the base tune that Doc sent me& i definitely wouldnt do it without his permission. he helped me out alot & i wouldnt want to burn him like that.

i've read the Auto VE tutorial & plan on reading it a few more times, then print it so i can reference to it when i do start trying it. printing it will just make it easier for me to use is all.

i've been reading & searching different stuff, trying to make sense of it & i'm a little more comfortable now with it than i was.

i will post up a tune that was installed in the car though. i did not care for the drivability of the car or how the idle would hang up high in it.
    Attachment 6404

joecar, thank you for that link! i realize i have a lot of reading & learning ahead of me, i just hope i can figure this all out & get comfortable with it.