Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 6L80 TM removal?

Lifetime Member

I have to say, I've been following Rhino's guide/suggestions on tuning the T43 trans. We are currently doing a demo car for the local Holden Dealer and I have been doing mostly road tuning at the moment sorting carpark driving, cold starts, cold running, town driving, overrun settings etc. I decided to also get stuck into the trans tuning which makes such a huge part in how a car "feels" when you drive it. The shifts are now what I'd call tight yet not harsh and really complement the sporty feel of a cammed car. We have also redone shift points both up change and down change. This is the first one I have really had the oppurtunity to tune and thoroughly test and its fantastic! You can really make a huge difference from factory with very little effort. I am tweaking minimum engine spark timing at present to modify torque management input on gear changes. Works perfectly.
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    i leave the shift times alone, but i remove (zero out) the torque modifiers.
    which tables are the "Torque modifiers" you are refering to Tre?

I have also noticed that there is differences between Rhino's base trans tune and the trans tune i have.........mine has parameters for "Base shift times" and Rhinos doesnt.........and also big differences between my stock TCM tune and Rhinos stock TCM tune in the shift times tables.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base desired shift time parameter.PNG 
Views:	321 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	12825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhinos table.PNG 
Views:	313 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	12826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scotts stock tune.PNG 
Views:	276 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	12827

I made a tune basically exactly the same as Rhinos tune and flashed it in........took the car for a 45 mile run and it was HORRIBLE!!!.
    I believe that the differences between the two base tunes played a big part in that result........so now i have made different changes to my tune based on Rhinos suggestions and will post the results.
    And BTW before i made changes to my TCM tune.....I did some changes just to the Torque Model and Minimum final timing and just left the TCM tune stock and noticed VERY good results in the feel of the shifts in the trans. so i have this to base this test off!!
    And before anyone says anything........yes i changed my torque model and minimum final timing to Rhinos suggestions aswell eg: 15% increase and 13 degrees timing in the suggested cells.

Cheers Scotty

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottcmb View Post
    I have also noticed that there is differences between Rhino's base trans tune and the trans tune i have.........mine has parameters for "Base shift times" and Rhinos doesnt.........and also big differences between my stock TCM tune and Rhinos stock TCM tune in the shift times tables.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base desired shift time parameter.PNG 
Views:	321 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	12825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhinos table.PNG 
Views:	313 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	12826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scotts stock tune.PNG 
Views:	276 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	12827I made a tune basically exactly the same as Rhinos tune and flashed it in........took the car for a 45 mile run and it was HORRIBLE!!!. I believe that the differences between the two base tunes played a big part in that result........so now i have made different changes to my tune based on Rhinos suggestions and will post the results. And BTW before i made changes to my TCM tune.....I did some changes just to the Torque Model and Minimum final timing and just left the TCM tune stock and noticed VERY good results in the feel of the shifts in the trans. so i have this to base this test off!! And before anyone says anything........yes i changed my torque model and minimum final timing to Rhinos suggestions aswell eg: 15% increase and 13 degrees timing in the suggested cells.Cheers Scotty
    The base shift table in your calibration is added to the desired shift time input torque mod table. The newer calibrations have that total time wrapped up into the single desired shift time input torque mod table.

Quote Originally Posted by dc_justin View Post
    The base shift table in your calibration is added to the desired shift time input torque mod table. The newer calibrations have that total time wrapped up into the single desired shift time input torque mod table.
    So in the case of my tune, which one does the system use most the base time or torque mod table?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottcmb View Post
    So in the case of my tune, which one does the system use most the base time or torque mod table?
    Hello Scotty,

Some T43 calibrations have two shift time parameters, others have only one shift time parameter.

As an example the 1>2 shift.

Some calibrations will have a D9000 parameter (Base Desired Shift Time) and a D9005 parameter (Desired Shift Time Input Torque Mod). These times are added together to achieve the final shift time. As an example if the D9000 parameter was 0.1504 seconds, and the corresponding RPM / Torque cell had a value of 0.0703 seconds, the final shift time would be 0.2207 seconds.

Other calibrations have only the D9005 parameter - so the shift time in the RPM / Torque cell also represents the final shift time.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Hello Scotty,

Some T43 calibrations have two shift time parameters, others have only one shift time parameter.

As an example the 1>2 shift.

Some calibrations will have a D9000 parameter (Base Desired Shift Time) and a D9005 parameter (Desired Shift Time Input Torque Mod). These times are added together to achieve the final shift time. As an example if the D9000 parameter was 0.1504 seconds, and the corresponding RPM / Torque cell had a value of 0.0703 seconds, the final shift time would be 0.2207 seconds.

Other calibrations have only the D9005 parameter - so the shift time in the RPM / Torque cell also represents the final shift time.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,
    Taz
    Cheers for that Taz. that has helped alot with what im going to try next.........legend mate!!!

Scotty

Scotty, in tunes where dual shift time tables are used, I usually 0 the base times and tune soley off the tq input table. Makes life easier and really eliminates any kind of other modifiers that may be tied to the base table in the background.

Alchemist,
    Glad to hear everything is working well. I have not had one issue and it shifts so so good. I love how the shift aggression follows throttle input.

Thanks for that Rhino, i have looked at the differences between Rhino's stock TCM tune and mine and looking at D7010 shift pattern A and D7011 shift pattern B. I see that Rhino's tune has shift pattern A selected as Normal and shift pattern B selected as Sport/Performance, but on my standard tune it has "Pattern1" selected for D7010 and "Cruise" selected for D7011. Looking in the drop down box where you can make the selection for these two parameters i see a whole heap of choices that would accommodate a range of various types of vehicles and driving conditions and styles.
    My question is, with the selections in this drop down box, is there a table that we cant see that shows the differences between these selections? and if i change my tune to have "Normal"and "Sport/Performance" would it have a good effect on my vehicle or would it be damaging?

Cheers Scotty

UPDATE:

After making a tune based off Rhino's suggestions, flashed it in and done all the resets etc etc.........I went away for the weekend and did about a 500km trip in the car so the adapts could settle down........after this trip i went out and logged some WOT runs to check my shift times....... i have now got constant 0.2 second shift times in all gears and in cruise and moderate throttling i get mostly 0.1 second shift times with the occasional 0.2 seconds.
    In the past with a stock TCM tune and an increase of 20% on the torque model on the ECM tune i only got a best of 0.3 seconds with a firmer feel on the shifts.

Cruizing at 100kph in 6th and then stomping on the throttle i get mostly 0.3 second shift down to 3rd, traction control then kicks in from wheel spin (Totally dry road and perfectly sunny day and great tyres) and for info about the car.....totally stock LS3, stock exhaust, stock intake but has a moddified tune, shifts feel good and solid at cruize and modderate accelerating, WOT shifts feel awesome with that great throw you back in the seat feeling and traction control kicking in with each shift 1st, 2nd 3rd.

Thanks Rhino, Tas and Tre for you help and guidance.....Legend

Scotty
    Last edited by scottcmb; April 8th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
    2008 HSV GTS LS3

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast