Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 6L80 TM removal?

I have defended and supported efilive in so many online pissing matches between efi and hp, it was always THE premier software to use with the best selection of cals for the controllers it supported. Now I am right at the point of buying hp just for t43 usage..lol. It just doesn't seem right but I guess it is what it is.

I thought I had an all in one set up, but I'm with you Rhino. Learning, let alone finding, the information to do simple mods is becoming ridiculously time consuming. Plus this new price hike is something I don't see as an easier sell. And don't get me started with the confusing updates for firmware and operating systems!! I'm bugged that some tables are mislabled for some 3 revisions now. I recently had a drag day and I'm the slowest truck there and only one with EFI Live. I ask all the tuners if they could look at my calibrations through EFILive and they just scratch their heads and tell me "wow...we just do this and that and we're done". Anyone try to check out a 2012 ECM tune from HoldenCrazy? EFILive can't even read a single thing. I'm looking at options like LS1Edit...but I don't think they support transmissions well. I'd hate to have to swallow my pride and join the bandwagon over at HPT...but..
    Trailblazer "RS" 5.3L 6L80 4x4 & '07 TBSS LS2 6L90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck CoW View Post
    Dwindling number of tables as the cars get newer...
    For T43 specifically? It's reduced yes, they get more complex over the years, remove things, add more. We aren't GM, I openly admit I don't understand how that thing works as if I was working for GM, and it sure doesn't help they keep making major code changes each model year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
    I remember when EFI was the most inclusive for the supported models, Now it seems that EFI is content to keep letting HP control the gas market.
    Really?, EFILive was (and still is) the only company to offer support for the 2010+ E78 and E39 ECM's. We also tried E83 support but there has been very little interest there, again, not an ECM that HPT supports.
    I've seen the complaining by HPT customers about the Speed Density tuning situation with E38's and having to wait forever for them to release their 'custom OS' , for that very reason we have picked up a lot of their customers over the years who probably felt that same abandonment as you do whilst they worked on getting the Hemi stuff to market.

I know efi is head and shoulders above on the diesel, but what about us gas guys? The T43 tables have been on the back burner FOREVER
    And probably will continue to be given lower priority as we chase new markets. Remember, the T43 is 5 years old now, it probably reached critical mass years ago with regards to sales potential. Meanwhile there is probably over 300,000 Cummins trucks looking for custom tuning. Remove the emotion, think business, what path would you take?

The software has gone up now, licenses are higher, and we are getting less tables.
    Explanations behind our first ever price rise for licenses has been given. I am not removing tables from existing supported OS's, so less only applies to new.

Is EFI content with minimal gas support
    For 2011+, I'm not sure how adding support for three new controllers that are replacing the 5 year old E38 & E67's is classed as 'minimal support'.
    We have 2012 Camaro, Vette, Truck support for the E38 & E67 already too.

everything from gm now is e38 and t43 for the most part, why not be heavily supported on those modules?
    No, the E38 & E67 are being phased out, first V8 platform was the 2011 2500HD that switched to the E78.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    It seems EFI has switched to the cummins market and those of us who tune mostly gas are just stuck in 2009.
    Too right we have, EFILive is a business not a backyard hobby, we saw an untapped opportunity as big as the Duramax market was (because that is a dead end now thanks to the LML) and went for it, no apologies from us there. We were probably pushed to do so by the Duramax tuners who themselves knew it would bring them lots of new business too.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    A couple years ago if EFI supported a controller you knew you had everything available to you to do a full tune. Now as the vehicles get newer it seems we are getting less and less to work with. It sucks having to own and use several different tuning software's just for a few tables.
    I know many shops who run both software packages, they like how certain things are done in one vs the other. I know out here in Australia at least, the HPT only shops are very envious the EFILive customers can do a solenoid flush on the T43 (that controller we ignore). It's a critical function they have chosen to omit.
    I don't know what major things we've left out of other controllers since 2009?

Now I am right at the point of buying hp just for t43 usage..lol. It just doesn't seem right but I guess it is what it is.
    I think that would be a wise business decision, like I said, many shops I know own both. Not always EFILive customers buying HPT either, it works the same on both sides of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by TBMSport View Post
    Anyone try to check out a 2012 ECM tune from HoldenCrazy? EFILive can't even read a single thing.
    2012 what?
    In September we added support for 2012 E38 OS's 12647991 & 12649046, 2012 E67 OS 12635457.

Feel free to vent all you like, it won't change the business decisions we've made and we certainly don't regret any directions we have taken with our tuning software thus far.

Maybe we should invite some Diesel tuners into this thread and really stir things up

Cheers,
    Ross
    Last edited by GMPX; October 18th, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

All that is well and good Ross..and I can understand what it's like to be in a position to defend your product. But as we are saying...we love your product. It is our love and appreciation for what EFILive has done over the years that fuels our frustration and hence voicing it. We'd like an all in one product. I dont' think you should be taking offense that we want that product to be EFILive.

Yes, I understand diesels are easier to tune and make a highly profitable market to break into. Kudos on making that executive decision to boost cash flow. But what about the people who support EFIlive? The simple truth is, yes, scan tool functions are nice and appreciated...but as I've said in emails and in other outlets as a vendor here in the US the end user wants one thing and one thing only...added performance to his car. He doesn't care about the oo's and ahh's that we do. However, it's increasingly embarrassing and frustrating to be unable to do the simplest of increased performance mods because of a lack of uniform reference information on the software. The forum is nice, but a lot of the information is so scattered that it's a journey just to compile the data.

Yes you are a business, but you're a supplier business with retailers that rely on your products. As such we expect things to be more in line with a full line professional product manufacturer in the line of an easily accessible and understandable reference material that is current and up to date. Further, from the perspective of a vendor, it's impacting our bottom line and business model to convince customers to buy EFILive products when all they want is just some extra horsepower or performance. Lastly, my concern is why doesn't EFILive advertise at a corporate level? Why is the burden upon the retailer to market the product?

Yes you are a business, but you're a supplier business with retailers that rely on your products. As such we expect things to be more in line with a full line professional product manufacturer in the line of an easily accessible and understandable reference material that is current and up to date. Further, from the perspective of a vendor, it's impacting our bottom line and business model to convince customers to buy EFILive products when all they want is just some extra horsepower or performance. Lastly, my concern is why doesn't EFILive advertise at a corporate level? Why is the burden upon the retailer to market the product?

Ok, there is a severe lack of understanding what the EFILive, HPTuners, LS1/LS2edit, Tunercat, etc, products are...

Do you understand that all the non-OEM tuning packages (and there are none that are OEM... the OEM doesn't want you touching anything and creating EPA headaches for the OEM) are a reverse engineering of the OEM's controller...?

Do you understand that to document and create the reference material that you stipulate will mean that FlashScan would require a team of engineers and writers, leading to a product that would be priced at something like $27,000 rather than $700...? [ Don't scoff, I have seen software packages costing $250,000 plus license fees of $2500/user/year (in other fields). ]

And how do you advertise a reverse engineered product at a corporate level...? Doing so makes it official that you've busted thru the OEM's encryption mechanism and are likely infringing their copyrights... it makes no sense to advertise at a corporate level.

Who will buy a tuning package...? Not everyone, and not even someone, but most likely tuning shops and gearheads who regularly swap their own cam.

Do you understand that tuning packages require the user to figure out how to tune (does the Snap-On truck driver teach you how to use Snap-On tools you just bought from him...?).

As for not having many tables for new controllers... it is a matter of how much time/effort the reverse engineering effort is.

$.02
    Last edited by joecar; October 19th, 2011 at 02:38 AM.

Sorry, that's my fault. I uploaded it to my website (completely outside of and nothing to do directly with EFILive) prematurely, before a calibration map is made.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    And probably will continue to be given lower priority as we chase new markets. Remember, the T43 is 5 years old now, it probably reached critical mass years ago with regards to sales potential. Meanwhile there is probably over 300,000 Cummins trucks looking for custom tuning. Remove the emotion, think business, what path would you take?
    As a service manager myself, this is like me saying to a customer.....I won't service the EFI mercury that you have that is 10 years old because the new Verado sc outboard has taken over. The t43 is still a current controller, you guys have some tuneability but not everything needed. It is used in trucks and cars both, is that not enough volumn to justify added t43 support?

For 2011+, I'm not sure how adding support for three new controllers that are replacing the 5 year old E38 & E67's is classed as 'minimal support'.
    We have 2012 Camaro, Vette, Truck support for the E38 & E67 already too.
    It is increased support, what I should have said is that with some improvements with the software and additional controllers, the bastard know as the t43 is still being ignored.

I know many shops who run both software packages, they like how certain things are done in one vs the other. I know out here in Australia at least, the HPT only shops are very envious the EFILive customers can do a solenoid flush on the T43 (that controller we ignore). It's a critical function they have chosen to omit. I don't know what major things we've left out of other controllers since 2009?
    I had an 09 Silverado with the old crusty t42 that also had no wot lockup tables, I could not prevent wot converter lockup until you dug deeper and got me a cal file. I will say you have done this for me before and I appreciate that Ross. This is nothing personal at all and I love ALL other aspects of efilive outside of the poor t43 support.

Feel free to vent all you like, it won't change the business decisions we've made and we certainly don't regret any directions we have taken with our tuning software thus far.
    And I don't regret using efilive as my only tuning solution, I am now frustrated because over and over the t43 has been pushed back and pushed back with no change in site.

Maybe we should invite some Diesel tuners into this thread and really stir things up
    It isn't about diesel, it's about a 5 year old controller that you still can't properly tune. 5 years! No pwm and lack of tq mgt tables....the 2 things that you need to make this transmission and aftermarket single disc converters live.

I believe your reply to my post pretty much told me what I needed to know (perhaps what I already knew). I will continue to use efilive much as possible but it appears I will have to finally step outside of my all in one bubble and do business elsewhere as well.

Ryan

Lifetime Member

These guys were asking for these tables back when it was still new four years ago. It got pushed bac and pushed back over the years by efilive. Now for you to say it is outdated and not a wise buisness decision for you is a bit weak. You cant just push things back until it is starting to be outdated then say its to late, we have other things that are priority. I have read where your response has been that it will take 2 days to go thru a file by hand and that is time you cannot spend on it. My response would be if you spent 10 minutes a day over the last 4 years it would have been done a long time ago.Not bashing efilive at all, sorry if it seems like it.
    1997 S10, 06 trailblazer SS LS2 swap, 4L70E trans, 76mm turbo. Factory ZQ8 suspension. 3.08, G80 w/a zexel. With a 0411 swap.

i dont want to jump in on any of the bashing but last i checked the t43 is still being used in all the holden v8 auto's with no replacement transmission in sight.

i guess if you wanted to semi-appease people,workshops etc, if they have the know how perhaps having the ability to view the raw bin file from the trans and let them attack it on thier own.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast