Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 06 Turbo LL8 Motor swap into a 240sx Preswap questions.

Default 06 Turbo LL8 Motor swap into a 240sx Preswap questions.

Im planning on picking up an LL8 from an 06 trailblazer at a local junk yard. Ive been researching these cars for a while and it seems that the 02-05's have a picky ecu so Its best to get an 06+

My main questions about the swap are the compatibility issues. I would like my car to retain AC and use the factory gauge cluster with all needles working like stock. I would probably need to have a custom wiring harness made that uses both my stock nissan KA24 harness and the harness from the LL8.

Also, from my understanding EFI live uses the OBD2 port to flash the ecu, so i would need to keep an OBD2 port plug-in.

So when it comes to tuning, EFI can tune the P12 (2006-07) LL8 ecu to run boost, larger injectors, etc? I read a few cases where the P12 could not be read and i believe that is currently still being fixed?

Im also planning on running a T-56 manual transmission out of a camaro SS

Anything I have missed, forgot, do not know and should before this swap?

Should be no issues with EFILive working on any year of the P12.
    The main problem you have is the tables in the LL8 version of the P12 are not set up for boost (unlike the LSJ). You could go double in injector size though. I'm not so sure how it would handle boost I'm afraid.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

The 06-07 LL8s are indeed not setup for boost but you should be able to work around that using the MAF table. At least thats how Ive seen it done on the I5 Colorado which uses the same P12 PCM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    The 06-07 LL8s are indeed not setup for boost but you should be able to work around that using the MAF table. At least thats how Ive seen it done on the I5 Colorado which uses the same P12 PCM.
    Thanks for the reply's guys!!

The turbo will most likely be run on its own boost control... probably a manual or a simple electronic. As long as efi live doesnt give me any trouble with the A/F tuning, timing, maf, etc we should be ok.

Will having a manual trans using that LL8 ecu cause problems or can efi live tune around that?

Lifetime Member

I dont know if the P12 with a TB cal will like the manual, but then again I guess you can just run it then turn off whatever DTCs get thrown once its together.

Should be ok for everything if your plan is to run the turbo using a standalone. Download the software and Ill post up an 06 TB file for you to take a look at.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I dont know if the P12 with a TB cal will like the manual, but then again I guess you can just run it then turn off whatever DTCs get thrown once its together.

Should be ok for everything if your plan is to run the turbo using a standalone. Download the software and Ill post up an 06 TB file for you to take a look at.
    what kind of stand-alone? Ive seen a guy named "EFI-DIY" do a megasquirt using an EDIS...

Id prefer a more simple installation if its possible. Stock computer with Air conditioning, working gauges, etc

Lifetime Member

Yea Marc and I talked about the cam buy he was organizing, I wanted to get in but alas being a broke college student I didnt have the $$$ around for the blanks.

What I mean is you'll probably have to use a piggyback controller to control the fuel and spark once you get into boost. If you dont you'll have to set the spark and fuel to be what you want in the PCM so that the last tables it sees before the MAP maxes are what you want for fuel and spark. I think if you use the MAF you might be able to get a better handle on fuel and spark until you max it out, then I dont know what you can do.
    ~Erik~

update?
    9.8@150 . LQ4 Turbonetics Billet 7575@18psi, 6 speed, non-intercooled with meth. Speed Density, open loop, no PE.

Lifetime Member

Ive learned more, and if you want to do this honestly Id use an 07-09 I6 and run an E67 ECM and T42 TCM. (Yes I know the 07 I6s used the P12 but they have a 58x crank reluctor so they are compatible with the E67 which has more support in EFILive than P12s do) Most flexible solution, can run whatever trans you want as long as you give the E67 gear feedback.

I know a member on trailvoy.com swapped an 06 I6 into a Supra but he used HPTuners for tuning. Paired it with a manual trans from a Solstice IIRC (cant find the thread for some reason). He got it up and running a few weeks ago, havent seen any driving vids besides a quick pull out of the garage as he needed to plumb the coolant (I know, I wouldnt run it without coolant either) and a few other small things.
    ~Erik~

found it!

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=51636

things have been moving slow on my end thanks to the economy. I finished college in December so im currently job hunting. Once im settled this project will be back up and running.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast